Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

I was one of the first to complain that DJI wasn't fixing the problem fast enough and also complained that the beta testers only had the fix... I'm I big man and I will offer my thanks to Ian, the other beta testers and DJI for the fix.
Thank you,
Lenny

apadua said:
efoote77 said:
Is it just me, or is the update only available for Windows? I do not see any Mac version of the new software on the Phantom 2 support download page. Any suggestions?

Not just you... i'm running 3.05 beta and it suggests "upgrading" from 3.05 to 3.04, just like when 3.06 wasn't available.

Make sure you are using Assistant version 3.2

apadua said:
efoote77 said:
Is it just me, or is the update only available for Windows? I do not see any Mac version of the new software on the Phantom 2 support download page. Any suggestions?

Not just you... i'm running 3.05 beta and it suggests "upgrading" from 3.05 to 3.04, just like when 3.06 wasn't available.

Were you one of the testers? with 2 posts that seems kinda odd...

AnselA said:
apadua said:
efoote77 said:

Make sure you are using Assistant version 3.2

3.2 is not available for Mac, that's the problem. I emailed DJI and they would not provide any information on when 3.2 would be available for Mac.

efoote77 said:
3.2 is not available for Mac, that's the problem. I emailed DJI and they would not provide any information on when 3.2 would be available for Mac.

It's now available for mac.

John Shaw said:
Just to sort of wrap things up I have posted a video of my initial testing of 3.06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyGXms ... ObwC0HUbmg
Looking good !!
I am at a declination of 17 degrees
Video shows runs in GPS, CL, HL, and the new low battery level triggered RTH.
My beta1 and beta2 videos are at that same Youtube location - but now sort of irrelevant.

Do you feel that 3.06 fly's better or the same as the 3.05b2?

Xrover said:
John Shaw said:
Just to sort of wrap things up I have posted a video of my initial testing of 3.06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhyGXms ... ObwC0HUbmg
Looking good !!
I am at a declination of 17 degrees
Video shows runs in GPS, CL, HL, and the new low battery level triggered RTH.
My beta1 and beta2 videos are at that same Youtube location - but now sort of irrelevant.

Do you feel that 3.06 fly's better or the same as the 3.05b2?

better...
I feel that TBE and JHook are the same.
What gives 3.06 the edge is that it deals properly with the course lock reference set at takeoff.
3.05b2 fixed TBE and JHook but it still had the prebeta course lock error. For me at 17 deg MD it looked to be about 30 degrees. A quick reset of CL would take care of it but as you can see in one of my b2 videos, I thought I had reset it, but I hadn't -oops. With 3.06 No Problem it's correct from takeoff as it should be.

I do like the new battery display and the concept it uses. You can track what the Phantom thinks is going on and use it as protection or override as you think makes sense.

I got another problem with phantom compass - azimuth. If i read azimuth from IOSD i get about 10 degrees difference compare to suunto compass. Does anyone know how to calibrate phantom compass to get accurate degrees. Thanks.

sorry for the delay because I was traveling and got so far here is my result with declination -23 with Firmware 3.06, I still have problems with TBE J Hook, is not as strong as in version 3.04 but it is still a problem, and to make matters worse still they put me a failsafe to inves allow to set and classified in accordance with the first battery alarm

KassioLM said:
sorry for the delay because I was traveling and got so far here is my result with declination -23 with Firmware 3.06, I still have problems with TBE J Hook, is not as strong as in version 3.04 but it is still a problem, and to make matters worse still they put me a failsafe to inves allow to set and classified in accordance with the first battery alarm

Are your test results after giving the firmware time to learn?

Hello and thank you for raising this to DJI,
MY LOACTION IS Bavaria in South Germany. Magnetic Inclination is just positiv.
But I have the Toilet bowl effect with Phantom Vision 2 + after Softwareupdate.
The copter was flying perfect until June 20st, After that time I Updates the software
and had the Effekt as discribed had a Bad crash and ruined the camera €600 damage.

Since the magnectic Inclination in Germany is almost zero I believe it has no influence.
It is the Softwareupdate in my impression.

Sneaked in a quick fly yesterday between rain showers in Auckland, NZ. The new 3.06 firmware makes the Phantom 2 a whole new machine - it learned quickly and our MD of -19.4 is no longer an issue. The platform feels more stable than ever. Incredible what a difference it has made. Great work and thanks to Ian Wood, the beta testers and DJI for the commitment to finding this fix.

I think we have a worse problem creeping up ... Non responsive throttles and dropping phantoms.

Hardy61 said:
Hello and thank you for raising this to DJI,
MY LOACTION IS Bavaria in South Germany. Magnetic Inclination is just positiv.
But I have the Toilet bowl effect with Phantom Vision 2 + after Softwareupdate.
The copter was flying perfect until June 20st, After that time I Updates the software
and had the Effekt as discribed had a Bad crash and ruined the camera €600 damage.

Since the magnectic Inclination in Germany is almost zero I believe it has no influence.
It is the Softwareupdate in my impression.

When did you do the update? Firmware 3.06, adressing the magnetic declination problem, was released on 2014-07-29. It cannot be reason for your crash a month before.

BTW Magnetic inclination e.g. in Munchen is 64 deg.

FWIW, I took the new firmware out for two batteries tonight. An older battery with ~60 cycles on it, and a newer battery with maybe a dozen cycles on it. First movement forward was a huge disappointment as it J-hooked left big time. However it quickly absorbed, calibrated, and was dramatically better than previous versions after that first learning. I was disappointed to see that the older battery went into auto-landing at 50%! 10.8v. By pushing left stick full forward I was able to fight the autolanding, similar to previous FW versions. The newer battery was well behaved, with flashing red lights at 20% left, and autolanding starting at 15%, which again I was able to fight, holding the P2 steady until ~8% left at which point I did the hand catch / shut down.

I am using default gains, I did all controller calibrations but only in the Phantom Assistant, not in the RC assistant. All seemed good on the flight deck except for the gimbal tilt on the 14SG. The combination SB and RS is not working as I expected, but I think that has everything to do with the Futaba model, and nothing to do with FW v3.06.

Sorry to hear about XRover's loss at sea, and hopeful that this and similar v3.06 problems can be diagnosed quickly. In the meantime I will avoid flying over water and people.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
FWIW, I took the new firmware out for two batteries tonight. An older battery with ~60 cycles on it, and a newer battery with maybe a dozen cycles on it. First movement forward was a huge disappointment as it J-hooked left big time. However it quickly absorbed, calibrated, and was dramatically better than previous versions after that first learning. I was disappointed to see that the older battery went into auto-landing at 50%! 10.8v. By pushing left stick full forward I was able to fight the autolanding, similar to previous FW versions. The newer battery was well behaved, with flashing red lights at 20% left, and autolanding starting at 15%, which again I was able to fight, holding the P2 steady until ~8% left at which point I did the hand catch / shut down.

I am using default gains, I did all controller calibrations but only in the Phantom Assistant, not in the RC assistant. All seemed good on the flight deck except for the gimbal tilt on the 14SG. The combination SB and RS is not working as I expected, but I think that has everything to do with the Futaba model, and nothing to do with FW v3.06.

Sorry to hear about XRover's loss at sea, and hopeful that this and similar v3.06 problems can be diagnosed quickly. In the meantime I will avoid flying over water and people.

Kelly
/
Can you disable the auto-land and see it goes into auto land at 50% with the old battery?

d4ddyo said:
wkf94025 said:

Kelly
/
Can you disable the auto-land and see it goes into auto land at 50% with the old battery?

The % had nothing to do with it... and people are paying too much attention to the charge %. Voltage is key and if he was at 10.8 it makes total sense

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl