Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Is it just me, or is the update only available for Windows? I do not see any Mac version of the new software on the Phantom 2 support download page. Any suggestions?

d4ddyo said:
xtonex said:
Slight TBE can just be gps inaccuracy. its huge toilet bowl movements that were really the problem, not slight ;)

I am just used to flying smooth manual on my scratch build... LOL...

well surely you could treat the gps mode like manual and always correct for its actions in the air anyways.

I just test flew 3.06. Seemed like the hovering was tighter. I'm a new pilot. I'm in VA - declination -10 degrees 40 minutes WEST.

I did have some quirky behavior updating the firmware. I first tried to update the Phantom 2 Assistant Software from within 3.0, but that didn't work. I installed the Phantom 2 Assistant Software 3.2 as a separate application. The first time it tried to update the firmware to 3.06, it failed - red lights and honking. I rebooted my Windows 8 (not 8.1) PC and restarted the Phantom Assistant Software 3.2 and the upgrade proceeded as expected.

xtonex said:
d4ddyo said:
xtonex said:
Slight TBE can just be gps inaccuracy. its huge toilet bowl movements that were really the problem, not slight ;)

I am just used to flying smooth manual on my scratch build... LOL...

well surely you could treat the gps mode like manual and always correct for its actions in the air anyways.

haha... My scratch build doesn't take any correction... it goes where i tell it to go

Just a quick report flying the new 3.06 firmware
I am at 17 degrees magnetic declination and I was a beta tester and have flown both beta1 and beta2.
From a magnetic declination perspective this is nearly identical to beta2.
In my case it looked like it remembered what it had learned from beta2 flights and that learning didn't take it very long.
So no TBE, just a little movement in a fairly light but turbulent breeze. ( prebeta I saw large and growing TBE until I intervened - but it would go away after 3 or 4 minutes)
no drift or JHook even on the first run, I get no significant altitude changes during a hard stop (but that's not testing a hard reversal) ( prebeta I use to see about 30 degrees left drift)
There was no apparent error in Course Lock. ( prebeta I use to see at least 30 degrees left ) ( On beta 1, which didn't remember between power ups I would have to reset CL in flight or live with the initial error on every battery) ( I don't remember if it remembered on beta2, but that really doesn't matter anymore )
I do like the new battery indicator at the top of the smart phone display, it's much easier to keep and eye on. I intentionally was hovering at about 10 feet and let the yellow band dialog box come up and chose go home. It climbed vvvvvvvvvvery slowly and did return overhead. Since it was a little more overhead than I was comfortable with I got to test taking over by flipping to ATTI and back to GPS - and then hovered down to about 2 feet and waited for the autoland to kick in. It landed smoothly and shut down.
That's all I can think of for now.
Now all of us high declination folks can go have fun!!!

John Shaw said:
Just a quick report flying the new 3.06 firmware
I am at 17 degrees magnetic declination and I was a beta tester and have flown both beta1 and beta2.
From a magnetic declination perspective this is nearly identical to beta2.
In my case it looked like it remembered what it had learned from beta2 flights and that learning didn't take it very long.
So no TBE, just a little movement in a fairly light but turbulent breeze. ( prebeta I saw large and growing TBE until I intervened - but it would go away after 3 or 4 minutes)
no drift or JHook even on the first run, I get no significant altitude changes during a hard stop (but that's not testing a hard reversal) ( prebeta I use to see about 30 degrees left drift)
There was no apparent error in Course Lock. ( prebeta I use to see at least 30 degrees left ) ( On beta 1, which didn't remember between power ups I would have to reset CL in flight or live with the initial error on every battery) ( I don't remember if it remembered on beta2, but that really doesn't matter anymore )
I do like the new battery indicator at the top of the smart phone display, it's much easier to keep and eye on. I intentionally was hovering at about 10 feet and let the yellow band dialog box come up and chose go home. It climbed vvvvvvvvvvery slowly and did return overhead. Since it was a little more overhead than I was comfortable with I got to test taking over by flipping to ATTI and back to GPS - and then hovered down to about 2 feet and waited for the autoland to kick in. It landed smoothly and shut down.
That's all I can think of for now.
Now all of us high declination folks can go have fun!!!

Thanks for the update John and all your efforts in the testing stages.

Yes - thanks to ianwood and all the beta testers. I live in NW WA where we have over 16 deg declination. Today TBE and J Hook is gone - what a pleasure. Could not follow paths pre 3.06 without constant correction, but now no problem - and even in 5-8 mph wind. All seems very well.

3.06 installed.

After some initial problems with the gimbal making funny noises on power up, after doing advanced calibration,
I figured out I have to do advanced cali outside because the bus rocks ever so gently when someone moves or walks around
and this alters the readings. Did the calibration outside on the ground and no probs after that.

Flies well. No TBE and very little if any J Hook. Default gains are fine. 125 125 120 140 260 260
Very little drop when you let go through the sticks on a fast forward flight.
Speeds are GPS 7.5mtrs sec. ATTI 15mtrs sec. Descent 2mtrs sec.

RTH was triggered at 20% but I could still yaw as it flew hm. Could get out of RTH quickly via toggling GPS ATTI.
At 15% auto descend triggered coming down very slowly at .5mtrs sec. Still had full control but needed full throttle to go up.

All in all, it flies like it should have flown 5 months ago. :)

ronea2 said:
Yes - thanks to ianwood and all the beta testers. I live in NW WA where we have over 16 deg declination. Today TBE and J Hook is gone - what a pleasure. Could not follow paths pre 3.06 without constant correction, but now no problem - and even in 5-8 mph wind. All seems very well.

great to hear, i reside in that area as well! hopefully they release the updated mac assistant software soon!

Thank you John Shaw for yet another detailed report and to all the Beta testers that risked their machines to get us here!

nzvideoguys said:
Speeds are ... ATTI 15mtrs sec. ...
Thanks for testing and reporting this. I was going to hold off updating until I got back from the Oregon coast 3 weeks from now, but with this report I'll go ahead and do the update. I didn't realize the speed limit introduced with fw 3.04 only applied to GPS mode.

ATTI works fine for me if I'm just trying to get back to home against a 20 mile per hour wind.

I know this is a Phantom 2 thread, but...

I also have the TBE (Not sure about hooking yet)on my Phantom 1.1.1 pretty bad.
Do you know if others flying V1.1.1's are experiencing this issue as well? Was hoping they would have a fix for me as well, but it's clear DJI does not.

I'm pretty sure we all share the same Naza controller now. Would it not stand to reason that the new Phantom 1's would also be inflicted?

Curious here...

Thanks!
Dale

I upgraded my Phantom 2 non-vision to firmware 3.06 and my P330CB is still at 1.0.1.31 instead of 1.0.1.32 My gimbal tilt control is gone.

I know that many others report that the CB didn't upgraded to 1.0.1.32 either, but do you still get the H3-3D tilt control? Is it a related bug or a different issue?

Also, is there a different assistant for the P2 Vision and the P2 Non Vision?

Thanks,

Maher

maher said:
I upgraded my Phantom 2 non-vision to firmware 3.06 and my P330CB is still at 1.0.1.31 instead of 1.0.1.32 My gimbal tilt control is gone.

I know that many others report that the CB didn't upgraded to 1.0.1.32 either, but do you still get the H3-3D tilt control? Is it a related bug or a different issue?

Thanks,

Maher

I upgraded from 3.05 Beta to 3.06
My P330CB still shows 1.01.31
My Gimbal functionality didn't change. Same options and kept my previous settings
One Assistant Software covers both P2 Versions.

maher said:

Thanks,

Maher

OK, gimbal tilt fixed through RC assistant calibration. I didn't realize that even if the throttle course seemed to still be full course, the calibration must be done anyway.

I knew that I saw a topic about loss of gimbal tilt after firmware update, but I couldn't find the right combination of words in the search engine so I start searching manually and found the answer from Ianwood :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18363

Thanks man, we owe you so much! If you ever come here in Quebec/Canada, I will gladly offer you a few liters of your favorite drink :)

Maher

efoote77 said:
Is it just me, or is the update only available for Windows? I do not see any Mac version of the new software on the Phantom 2 support download page. Any suggestions?

Not just you... i'm running 3.05 beta and it suggests "upgrading" from 3.05 to 3.04, just like when 3.06 wasn't available.

Got to play with 3.06 today.

I'm at 23Deg +ve Declination. No TBE, No J-Hook and it flies straight. Home and course lock work perfectly. It's like having a brand new toy.

Many thanks to all those who made it happen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18