Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

so whats keeping these A holes from fixing it ? sons of bitches get the lead out of your ***. DJI YOU SUCK :twisted:

people need to relax. the fix will come, be patient. in the meantime know your limits!

Hi all,

So the Phantom 2 essentially 'learns' to correct for TBE and j-hook, apparently even more so in v3.05. I presume this learning characteristic is a function of the compass data and GPS data somehow adapting to the magnetic declination of a location.

My question is: if you operate the aircraft in ATTI mode for say 8 minutes, and then switch to GPS ATTI mode, will the system have learnt to make the correction during that time such that when GPS mode is engaged, TBE and j-hook are (almost) resolved? Or does the aircraft need to be operated in GPS ATTI mode for the learning/adaptation to take place?

I haven’t had much time to test this hypothesis but wondering if anyone else has or can shed any light on this.

Thanks.

NSF said:
Hi all,

So the Phantom 2 essentially 'learns' to correct for TBE and j-hook, apparently even more so in v3.05. I presume this learning characteristic is a function of the compass data and GPS data somehow adapting to the magnetic declination of a location.

My question is: if you operate the aircraft in ATTI mode for say 8 minutes, and then switch to GPS ATTI mode, will the system have learnt to make the correction during that time such that when GPS mode is engaged, TBE and j-hook are (almost) resolved? Or does the aircraft need to be operated in GPS ATTI mode for the learning/adaptation to take place?

I haven’t had much time to test this hypothesis but wondering if anyone else has or can shed any light on this.

Thanks.
Good question. No one seems to know the technical ins & outs of how 3.05 works. So it will be up to users to assess its effectiveness once its released

NSF said:
Short answer is yes. I tried this a couple of months ago on firmware 3.00 and it did learn the correction between the compass and GPS while in ATTI (non-GPS) mode. After 7 minutes it would fly straight with no J-Hook or TBE in GPS mode.

I doubt this is any different in 3.04 and it probably doesn't matter in the latest version of the 3.05 beta.

I am from Durban, South Africa and have experienced this hooking problem on every single flight.

Ian - Have you had any response from DJI at all?

what do you do to get around this? Do you fly atti mode all the time, or just in lower wind conditions?

Congrats on your Downtown LA Video, It's really well shot with some awesome grading. 10/10
What mode did you shoot on the GoPro? I saw you mentioned ND Filter - Did you set up the Gimbal to counter the weight?

NovosRSA said:
I am from Durban, South Africa and have experienced this hooking problem on every single flight.

Ian - Have you had any response from DJI at all?

what do you do to get around this? Do you fly atti mode all the time, or just in lower wind conditions?

Congrats on your Downtown LA Video, It's really well shot with some awesome grading. 10/10
What mode did you shoot on the GoPro? I saw you mentioned ND Filter - Did you set up the Gimbal to counter the weight?

I get sporadic feedback from them. The work on the fix for this issue is done. My guess is that they are dealing with other stuff related to the firmware release. I doubt it will be much longer before it's out.

As for how to fly with the issue, well being in ZA you'll see it much more than I have. ATTI is an option and always good to practice. You have to pay mcuh closer attention in ATTI (maybe they should call it ATTENTION mode). But I also found that I can actively anticipate and correct for the hook in GPS mode, at least at a declination of 12.

Thanks for the compliment on the video. There are a bunch of threads on NDs which are essential in my opinion.

NSF said:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Yes, on the 3.05b2 software the corrections for TBE and J-hook are retained between mode changes as well as after power-cycling.

A few days ago I sent DJI a complaint about our problem. Unfortunately I used the online form and forgot to save what I wrote but it is easy to figure out what my complaint may have been. I got an email today which you guys might find entertaining so I will paste the text below:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technology.

We have reviewed your inquiry and have determined the following from your email. It seems as though your GPS unit and Compass are not in agreement of which way North is. This is usually caused because a user does not calibrate their unit according to the locations Magnetic Declination. You will need to Google your locations magnetic declination to calibrate the unit to true North.

You can find Apps for iPhone, Android, and Windows below:

Magnetic Declination on the App Store on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magneti ... 18318?mt=8

Magnetic Declination for Android:

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... eclination

Magnetic Declination App for Windows:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-au/store ... dbdffbe594

We hope you have found this information helpful.

Thank you for flying with DJI Technology.

Jason
DJI Technology Customer Service

Andy T said:
A few days ago I sent DJI a complaint about our problem. Unfortunately I used the online form and forgot to save what I wrote but it is easy to figure out what my complaint may have been. I got an email today which you guys might find entertaining so I will paste the text below:

We have reviewed your inquiry and have determined the following from your email. It seems as though your GPS unit and Compass are not in agreement of which way North is. This is usually caused because a user does not calibrate their unit according to the locations Magnetic Declination. You will need to Google your locations magnetic declination to calibrate the unit to true North.

Jason

Wow

Just a little note regarding travel and compass compensation.

My location in S. Fla has `-6 deg declination (see my info below avatar).
I have not [ever] experienced any TBE or J-hook and am running 3.04.

I recently traveled to Murphy, NC where it is ~-5 deg. dec.

I did not perform any calibrations of any kind (for testing purposes) prior to flying and experienced the same flight performance as at home.

When returning home I flew commercially on Southwest and carried-on the P2 on board thus passing thru TSA, etc.

Again I performed NO calibrations of any kind and have not noticed any changes in performance compared to before traveling.

Just an FYI. Nothing more.

Andy T said:

Jason

Well atleast he understood it was a mag dec issue lol... do any dji naza's allow you to input the declination?

N017RW said:
Just a little note regarding travel and compass compensation.

My location in S. Fla has `-6 deg declination (see my info below avatar).
I have not [ever] experienced any TBE or J-hook and am running 3.04.

I recently traveled to Murphy, NC where it is ~-5 deg. dec.

I did not perform any calibrations of any kind (for testing purposes) prior to flying and experienced the same flight performance as at home.

When returning home I flew commercially on Southwest and carried-on the P2 on board thus passing thru TSA, etc.

Again I performed NO calibrations of any kind and have not noticed any changes in performance compared to before traveling.

Just an FYI. Nothing more.

-5 and -6 wont show much of the issue. its when you get higher than that when you really notice it

I guess I do have a point after all...

Agreed about 1 degrees minimal effect (don't forget inclination as well), but it points to the likely unnecessary repetitive compensations being performed.

I have only compensated twice in 3 mos. and 35 flights... once out-of-the-box and the other 2 mos. ago when replacing Tx/Rx with Futaba system.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart