Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

I can report that I too experience the Magnetic declination problem with the Phantom 2 Vision+. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I want it fixed.

http://www.bestquadcopter.com/how-to-pr ... -flyaways/

This link was put up ages ago. The problem you allude to was recognised by DJI. I calibrate my compass before each flight ( used not to and had all these problems) now flies straight & no TBE despite being in an area of +12 degree declination.
Careful to look for any objects which may cause magnetic interference, solar weather events & only use GPS for hovering, RTH & way point operations.Maybe the problem is the operator not treating this as a serious aircraft. Maybe a rigorous
certification by Aviation authorities similar to all pilots is not such a bad idea????

Pazz said:
Maybe the problem is the operator not treating this as a serious aircraft. Maybe a rigorous certification by Aviation authorities similar to all pilots is not such a bad idea????

Totally irrelevant Pazz. Again.

I did.

It's an article telling me to (1) Calibrate my compass (2) Set home point (3) Watch for interference.

What has that got to do with the Phantom's compass problem that has been acknowledged by DJI and is currently being addressed via BETA firmware updates???

You seem obsessed with electromagnetic interference but it has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Please read the very first post of this thread to understand the issue and feel free to start a thread of your own to discuss other issues.

You're cluttering up my screen.

BigBadFun said:
I did.

It's an article telling me to (1) Calibrate my compass (2) Set home point (3) Watch for interference.

What has that got to do with the Phantom's compass problem that has been acknowledged by DJI and is currently being addressed via BETA firmware updates???

You seem obsessed with electromagnetic interference but it has absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

Please read the very first post of this thread to understand the issue and feel free to start a thread of your own to discuss other issues.

Have Dji actually told you what they have done in 3.05? I mean program wise & explain the science? Interested to know on a serious way?

Pazz said:
BigBadFun said:
I did.

Have Dji actually told you what they have done in 3.05? I mean program wise & explain the science? Interested to know on a serious way?

If you want to participate in a serious discussion then quit posting irrelevant nonsense.

I might not live in the high magnetic declination area (Germany) but i noticed that my phantom can't fly straight. I always have to give some slight input to the right to stay on track.

I also saw that the Phantom moved ccw with the nose pointed to the same spot when i applied no stick input

The video shows the effects i experienced.

http://youtu.be/LCllYVmU7-g

I recently started flying aPhantom 2 in Cape Town South Africa. Have both the hook and the toilet bowl, pretty severly.

I also have custom built larger quadcopter that has a DJI compass on top that can rotate. Have the same problems when that compass is not pointing to north. Is there not an adjustment to be made with the Phantom?

Thanks

Marc

BigBadFun said:
New firmware maybe coming late next week according to the other thread!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11555&start=580

I can confirm we should be getting something around the end of this week. Whether it's another beta or a release I am not sure.

"we" ?

MarcBow said:
I recently started flying aPhantom 2 in Cape Town South Africa. Have both the hook and the toilet bowl, pretty severly.

I also have custom built larger quadcopter that has a DJI compass on top that can rotate. Have the same problems when that compass is not pointing to north. Is there not an adjustment to be made with the Phantom?

Thanks

Marc

This has been discussed at length. Some think there is a temporary solution but it is not felt to be a permanent fix. The Phantom is a different than other DJI designs and apparently DJI agrees as they are working a firmware upgrade to solve this. For the potential temporary fix search and read elsewhere,

Guys, posted here a week ago regarding loosing my Vision+ in the ocean after a 45 degree drop following compass issues. I ordered a brand new unit and got it yesterday. I did the normal calibration and just tested the unit. Straight out of the box, I'm facing some major toilet bowl effect at about 250 feet up so brought it back down immediately. I am now in Quebec City.

What the hell is going on with these things. I flew in Hong Kong, in Fiji, in Thailand with absolutely no issues. Now I come to Canada for holidays, lose 1 unit in the ocean and nearly loose the second unit straight out of the box. Help please !!! Is this a 'magnetic North' issue which screws up the compass and renders it useless?

What is DJI saying about this?

TBE and J-hook are both symptoms of the magnetic declination (some call it deviation) issue that the new, yet to be released, firmware is supposed to fix. Your experience sounds "in family" for the issue we've been dealing with. Hopefully, the fix will be released soon, but until then, only fly in areas with little to no magnetic declination (variation).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadabyanza24