Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Here is a magnetic field map of my area. I don't understand all this, What does it mean "Decination = NEGATIVE"?

Attachments

• Magnetic declination Perth WA.png
    Magnetic declination Perth WA.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 571
Phantom_Menace66 said:
sar104 said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Here is a magnetic field map of my area. I don't understand all this, What does it mean "Decination = NEGATIVE"?

It means that magnetic north is west of true north.

Ok is this anything to be concerned about? Lol

It's the magnitude of the declination that matters, not the sign. You have 1˚ 38' W, which is virtually negligible so, no, nothing to be concerned about in the context of this issue.

This is page 37 of the user manual. If DJI wants to, they could refer to this as an explanation for erratic flight behavior.

Attachments

• flight requirements.JPG
    flight requirements.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 454
Doono said:
This is page 37 of the user manual. If DJI wants to, they could refer to this as an explanation for erratic flight behavior.

But of course that would be fairly disingenuous at this point with all the evidence pointing to magnetic declination not being properly accounted for by the flight computer.

Doono said:
AnselA said:
What is "wind speed category 4", in m/s or mph? In specifications DJI is using m/s.
Beaufort scale. Cat 4: 13 to 17 mph, or 5.5 to 7.9 m/s.

Beaufort, OMG! Beaufort scale is antiques and by definition applicable only when observing sea...

P.S. forum admins, please move this wind speed discussion to a new thread.

Wow, just found out this is an actual problem. Great to hear there is a fix on the way. Im in Phoenix AZ and after reading the PDF and the j hook i have reproduced that time and time again. It appears a gravity band travels right through here. Ive just compensated for so long i thought it was just difference in drone to drone. Thanks for beta testing it. Is there any early ETA as to when we might benefit from the fruits of your labor?

Yip,I'm experiencing the exact same drift here in South Africa as described in the forum discussion. Got my Phantom 2 a couple of weeks ago and experienced the drifting from the start and as it was my first drone I thought it was "normal" but did think the fact that home lock let it fly from front left to the right but over my head despite my regular compass calibration procedures, a bit odd. I also started to experience a new problem in that even in a hover it has happened 4 times now that it all of a sudden starts swaying violently from left to right until it eventually just falls to the ground with no control through the transmitter, and it was in my attempt to research this issue that Jacky from Helipal directed me to this forum . Wonder if this could also relate to a compass problem.

Landy said:
Yip,I'm experiencing the exact same drift here in South Africa as described in the forum discussion. Got my Phantom 2 a couple of weeks ago and experienced the drifting from the start and as it was my first drone I thought it was "normal" but did think the fact that home lock let it fly from front left to the right but over my head despite my regular compass calibration procedures, a bit odd. I also started to experience a new problem in that even in a hover it has happened 4 times now that it all of a sudden starts swaying violently from left to right until it eventually just falls to the ground with no control through the transmitter, and it was in my attempt to research this issue that Jacky from Helipal directed me to this forum . Wonder if this could also relate to a compass problem.

It could be, also, do you have prop guards on? They tend to make this much worse.

AnselA said:
Doono said:
AnselA said:
What is "wind speed category 4", in m/s or mph? In specifications DJI is using m/s.
Beaufort scale. Cat 4: 13 to 17 mph, or 5.5 to 7.9 m/s.

Beaufort, OMG! Beaufort scale is antiques and by definition applicable only when observing sea...

P.S. forum admins, please move this wind speed discussion to a new thread.

Just for the record, as it pertains to DJI's guide lines. http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/glossary/beaufort.shtml. It's used all over the world today for land and sea. (Not interested in a wind discussion).

DJI neither express Phantom speed in Beauforts. (Beaufort scale was invented 209 years ago...)

DJI guidelines neither do classsify fog as severe weather condition. Only smog ;P

RemE said:
Landy said:

It could be, also, do you have prop guards on? They tend to make this much worse.

Yes I do have the prop guards fitted. Just ordered the Carbon ones and was hoping those would have a lesser effect?

Landy said:
That home lock is kind of a strange thing. I think it only works if you are over 10 meters away from your home point. If you reenter the 10 meter zone while in home lock it switches itself to course lock and stays there and is very disorienting

Andy T said:
Landy said:
That home lock is kind of a strange thing. I think it only works if you are over 10 meters away from your home point. If you reenter the 10 meter zone while in home lock it switches itself to course lock and stays there and is very disorienting

Interesting..Thanks.I'll try that because I was standing within no more than 5 meters from where I took off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka