Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Sorry to leave you guys in suspense but I had a weekend date with a Ford SVT Raptor in the middle of a desert and didn't have any time to test before I left. Raced back earlier today and caught the last of the light to test beta 3.05. The news is good. It works. The results are consistent with Martin's and Shane's. Course lock is on the money as well. I will post the OSD video tomorrow and send my data to DJI.

We owe DJI a lot of credit for responding to our pleas the way they did. They've certainly earned my respect.

ianwood said:
Sorry to leave you guys in suspense but I had a weekend date with a Ford SVT Raptor in the middle of a desert and didn't have any time to test before I left. Raced back earlier today and caught the last of the light to test beta 3.05. The news is good. It works. The results are consistent with Martin's and Shane's. Course lock is on the money as well. I will post the OSD video tomorrow and send my data to DJI.

We owe DJI a lot of credit for responding to our pleas the way they did. They've certainly earned my respect.

Sweet so my days of spinning out in -22 degrees are not far till over then ... can wait for general release

HacKiwi said:
BigBadFun said:
varix said:
There seems to be heaps of us Phantom users in Christchurch! Or at least active users on this forum.

Yeah we should start a club! :shock: Come down to Gardens today at 1pm if you get time as well - and any other ChCh users who want.

Where the hell is Ian?

Hey BigBadFun / varix / etc. Another Christchurch here. Just missed your post. Also suffering at -23 but what an awesome weekend to fly. Here's a little toilet bowl clip from Castle Hill yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjH13uNmrI

Such a brilliant toy but I do hope they sort this nonsense out.

Are there any Christchurch clubs / groups? May be a good idea to get people talking so we don't end up with this http://www.channel24.co.za/TV/News/...-Africa-banned-with-immediate-effect-20140530in NZ. It just takes one idiot to mess it up for everyone!

I was in Castle Hill over the weekend with my Phantom as well haha! Crazy!
Because I don't know any different as this is my first quad I am finding I just manually tidy up the TBE and J hook now subconsciously. Going to be interesting to fly with the new firmware and see how stable these things really can be.
I feel we all need to send ianwood a gift of some sort. I have never been involved in a community where one person has gone so far to try and fix something for the good of everyone. So awesome!

Don't rush on anything yet. No firmware has been released to the public to see if it is a fix. I want a copy of the firmware first to try than maybe congratulations

That's great news Ian. I am excited to hear what their next step is and what was done to correct the issue. I guess it's a learning phase that us and DJI are going through. Hopefully DJI will continue to utilize it's customers in future R&D.
I would like to be included if that happens.

sounds great - just wait when it will be release and if all of us confirmed that it cancel our issues. As customers it's good to see Dji consider their clients by giving a solution.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

In Auckland NZ, and have this issue, so add me to the list.
Looking forward to the fix!! I was just today emailing the dealer about this to arrange a return. Thankfully I found this thread and will wait for the fix from DJI which hopefully wont be too far away.
Cheers
Rob.

ianwood said:
Not mine, they still have horrible customer service. That should be the next campaign.

obiwan_pierogi said:
Andy T said:
ianwood said:
Not mine, they still have horrible customer service. That should be the next campaign.

You can say that again..
OK
lol

SilentAV8R said:
Wonder how long they will have to analyze the results before they decide to go public with it?

Let's hope they leave 3.04 available until all the 'dust' settles.

To be clear, I am acknowledging that DJI made a fair bit of effort to actively address this defect. If only Apple would ever just once respond to the 1,000s and 1,000s of defect threads in their forums.

DJI has plenty of work ahead of them still in customer support, product documentation, firmware release management, product management. This is not the thread for that discussion.

Well done Ian. So what's the next step... have you spoken to Terry? :?:

BigBadFun said:

Next steps are to send data to DJI which I am doing today. They look at it and figure out if they need to do more or consider it fixed. Then they incorporate the fix into a firmware update possibly bundling it with some other firmware changes and then push it out for general availability.

ianwood said:
To be clear, I am acknowledging that DJI made a fair bit of effort to actively address this defect. If only Apple would ever just once respond to the 1,000s and 1,000s of defect threads in their forums.

DJI has plenty of work ahead of them still in customer support, product documentation, firmware release management, product management. This is not the thread for that discussion.
Sorry. I don't owe them a thing, quite the contrary

ianwood said:
BigBadFun said:

Next steps are to send data to DJI which I am doing today. They look at it and figure out if they need to do more or consider it fixed. Then they incorporate the fix into a firmware update possibly bundling it with some other firmware changes and then push it out for general availability.

Nice job Ian, happy to hear your positive results. Sounds like all the data evaluation/revision process means it may be longer than a week until an update hits general availability (not necessarily a bad thing if it means it can be a one-time-fix without iterative patching).

Thanks again to the Beta Testers! And thank you Ian for all your tremendous effort in getting the ball rolling!

I'm not thanking anyone. The way DJI works if we see the fix released it probably will take weeks or more like a month plus ! I go by DJI pass history on releasing fixes.
Like all their other firmware updates , just release the 3.05 now to the general public and let everyone try it to see the results as in the past with other firmwares.

Guys, for those who are in contact with DJI regarding the compass issue fix, can you also put in a word to add in a configuration to restore normal NAZA tilt limit in GPS and ATTI mode?

As this video http://youtu.be/L-R6r35L1rA shows, the max til in V3.04 has been reduced to 15/25 in GPS/ATTI respectively from 25/35. This causes major degradation in flight performance that can endanger a craft that needs to go up-wind to head back.

New conservative default as OK, but we need a way to configure them back to the normal NAZA settings, especially for more experienced flyers without an overloaded P2. The normal Naza V2 have 25/35 tilt limits and do not have any compass issues, so they are not related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka