Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

tom3holer said:
Well on the Naza-M equipped platforms it is recommended by DJI to do just that.

DJI says not to do it on the P2 and indeed it is difficult the way it is mounted. I did do it on mine and it seemed to fix the issue. It has been reported that after flying a bit with a rotated compass it will sort try and self correct and messes things up. I did not see that but only had 5 or so flights till it was lost.

Tom

The pro's and con's of rotating the compass to fix the problem have been discussed ad nauseam throughout this thread. Bottom line is that it is not a fix for the problem, only a temporary solution that may in fact be more harmful than good. The fix is a firmware update solution from DJI. This thread is intended to keep the issue in the spotlight making sure that DJI pays attention to it, provide updates on progress, and serve as a reference point if the users having issues need to take it to the next level.... (concerted effort to raise a 'stink' with DJI about it)

landonkk said:
tom3holer said:
Well on the Naza-M equipped platforms it is recommended by DJI to do just that.

DJI says not to do it on the P2 and indeed it is difficult the way it is mounted. I did do it on mine and it seemed to fix the issue. It has been reported that after flying a bit with a rotated compass it will sort try and self correct and messes things up. I did not see that but only had 5 or so flights till it was lost.

Tom

The pro's and con's of rotating the compass to fix the problem have been discussed ad nauseam throughout this thread. Bottom line is that it is not a fix for the problem, only a temporary solution that may in fact be more harmful than good. The fix is a firmware update solution from DJI. This thread is intended to keep the issue in the spotlight making sure that DJI pays attention to it, provide updates on progress, and serve as a reference point if the users having issues need to take it to the next level.... (concerted effort to raise a 'stink' with DJI about it)

What's ad nauseum is the fact that DJI put this on the back burner.

With all due respect...

Please show me where I can find the information regarding DJI's internal priorities regarding Phantom problem(s) resolution.

I don't want to pi$$ anyone off here just curious if this is frustration or fact 'talking'.

N017RW said:
With all due respect...

Please show me where I can find the information regarding DJI's internal priorities regarding Phantom problem(s) resolution.

I don't want to pi$$ anyone off here just curious if this is frustration or fact 'talking'.

There is a beta test thread here.

sar104 said:
N017RW said:
With all due respect...

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11555&start=10#p141632

And ianwood: wrote there:

ianwood wrote:
I've heard from them. They've had to shift focus to another pressing issue (H3-3D?, battery?) but would be back on this next week. Still no ETA.

Guys. This is rediculous.

d4ddyo said:

I agree. Ianwood is our defacto leader here as he is the one who first identified the cause and initiated the first communication with DJI. He has promised that if he feels we are getting nowhere he will let us know and we can take it to the next level. I'm curious if he thinks we are closer to a resolution, or having to take it to that next level.....?

landonkk said:
d4ddyo said:

I agree. Ianwood is our defacto leader here as he is the one who first identified the cause and initiated the first communication with DJI. He has promised that if he feels we are getting nowhere he will let us know and we can take it to the next level. I'm curious if he thinks we are closer to a resolution, or having to take it to that next level.....?

Ummmm. Read the thread. OMG. It is on the back burner. We are screwed for now. And that's from Ian.

d4ddyo said:
landonkk said:
d4ddyo said:

Ummmm. Read the thread. OMG. It is on the back burner. We are screwed for now. And that's from Ian.

He said they put it on the back burner.... for a week. Nowhere does he say we are screwed or that we should start panicking.

How fast/slow do DJI release firmware updates for the Phantom? Do they go through months of testing before they spit them out or are they pretty quick?
If they look into it in the next week and create a fix in the firmware then release the firmware a week or 2 after that then I would be happy. But if they have to test the firmware for a month then its going to get ridiculous.

I said we are screwed for the time being which is true for this week. We all have been very patient for months. As a matter of fact I am the one telling everyone to relax and stop whining. Well... In light of them passing our problem off after months of our patience and data gathering...

Personally I think our best bet is to keep a good relationship with DJI that continues to be focused through Ian. I don't know what "taking it to the next level" would mean and I think it would be very easy to be counterproductive. I am going to enjoy what I got and look forward to the improvement. It's more important that it works correctly (or mostly correctly).

Personally I think our best bet is to keep a good relationship with DJI that continues to be focused through Ian. I don't know what "taking it to the next level" would mean and I think it would be very easy to be counterproductive. I am going to enjoy what I got and look forward to the improvement. It's more important that it works correctly (or mostly correctly).

d4ddyo said:
I said we are screwed for the time being which is true for this week. We all have been very patient for months. As a matter of fact I am the one telling everyone to relax and stop whining. Well... In light of them passing our problem off after months of our patience and data gathering...

Yes.. I can't see why it would take them so long to re-write a program... It's not like the declination is unpredictable..

John Shaw said:

Relationship? We are the consumer. Customer is always right.

obiwan_pierogi said:
d4ddyo said:

Yes.. I can't see why it would take them so long to re-write a program... It's not like the declination is unpredictable..

They haven't started rewriting anything.

The competition is heating up. Husban has a quad coming out that has a gimbal and full fpv much like the Vision + that cost around $500. Walker has one and is also coming out with a quad that cost a little more than a Phantom ... has a gimbal, capable of lifting a dslr, has flight times 30-60 min with retractable legs and folding arms. the new Walkera comes with its own aluminum case.

The competition is catching up. Consumers will have more choices. Guess what... We do have the right to demand results. I'm actually in the process of scratch building tricopters and quads for myself.

I can decide where I spend my money... you can too. They know this... but Chinese business is not like any other business... it's all about money for them.... we have one thing that is to our advantage... our buying power... it's not just one phantom... it's the collective phantoms that have this issue that should not exist that represents all that money that put DJI on top of the drone market. Not for long if it continues this way.

Usually my Phantom does not clean up completely but today it completely cleaned up just as the low battery alarm came in... The last coupl of minutes were pretty freakin awsome

Had my first flight today after learning about this issue. The TBE is very violent just after take off. Starts swinging huge circles at a very rapid pace. Also confirmed very decent J turns.

Yes DJI please rush out a fix that causes other problems in the process just so people can shut up... if your hoping dji "hurries" this along your pretty foolish... also if you have "violent tbe" its more than likely due to something else. i live in a high declination area and my tbe has never been "violent" or high speed... I'm pretty sure most of you have zero clue what it takes to code anything like this or go thru code and find problems in it! Keep your pants on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka