Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

nzvideoguys said:
John Shaw said:
From a GPS perspective...
As it is sitting on the ground it doesn't know where north is or which way it is facing. It just knows where it is. Once it takes off and starts to move it can determine the track direction by the way position is changing.

This doesn't make sense. When I turn on my Phantom, and view my iOSD data through the goggles, rotating the Phantom will cause the Az (Azimuth) reading to fluctuate. (Azimuth: the horizontal angle or direction of a compass bearing). So it seems clear that the Phantom is aware of which direction it's heading via the compass. If it didn't know, how could it fly? How could it find it's way home? The GPS is useless without a compass to tell it which direction it's flying.
See page 3.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .06_en.pdf

DUde... GPS only knows position. Turn on your GPS in your car and plug in a location. It doesn't know which way is what until you move.

There is a such thing as a tone... and in the tone you are whining. It's evident in your entire post, including the final comment in all CAPs and "I rest my case". Total pessimism and sarcasm. And those options are not ridiculous. they are options available to you as a consumer. The other option is to be patient and let them resolve the issue[/quote]

Ok, so you're saying that you think I'm whining. That's your perception. So, kindly stop projecting your emotions onto me because they don't fit. Focus on the issue, don't start attacking people to bolster your own ego.

I'm stating facts, which is why I used caps for emphasis. I'm not a pessimist, but I do have 3yrs experience with DJI and their products and I know that if they'd solved this problem correctly in the Wookong and NAZA, then it would not have appeared in the Phantom. So, take a leaf from your own book, and RELAX.

DUde... GPS only knows position. Turn on your GPS in your car and plug in a location. It doesn't know which way is what until you move.[/quote]

Thanks for telling me what I just said. Turn on your phone, open compass, and it will tell you which way is North. That's what compasses do.

I agree with Ianwood's post and I've said it before to stop rotating the compass.
Put more and more pressure on DJI to fix it , don't let DJI take their sweet time to fix it because they know people are moving the compass to help the problem this takes the pressure off DJI.
Call, Email DJI and don't stop complaining to them and the dealers , than maybe we'll get a fix.
It's been over a month now !! Too long for no fix.

Lenny7118 said:
I agree with Ianwood's post and I've said it before to stop rotating the compass.
Put more and more pressure on DJI to fix it , don't let DJI take their sweet time to fix it because they know people are moving the compass to help the problem this takes the pressure off DJI.
Call, Email DJI and don't stop complaining to them and the dealers , than maybe we'll get a fix.
It's been over a month now !! Too long for no fix.

It's been over a month since we spoke about this. It has not since they officially opened the beta... or maybe about a month. The first couple of weeks they were acquiring data and ruling out other possible issues.

I have news for you. Assuming they find it... it MAY take time depending on what they need to program. That's how it works! Even security leaks in operating systems take time. They patch ... but the official fixes take months before release at times.

I'm not saying don't do anything.... I'm just think you should get your panties in a twist because you don't see anything happening. I actually see them doing something where other companies truly drag their feet.

I went back to the original post asking for beta testers. I apologize because it has been going on for a while, but I do know the steps taken to get a fix out and there is nothing wrong with the way DJI is handling it.

From the last post by ianwood:
Yes and no. We are all growing impatient and rightfully so. This bug should have never made it into production in the first place. However, once you have a bug in a production system, there's a lot of steps to putting a fix out into the wild.

They've been asking for more data from the "beta testers" and they are giving us updates on where they are with it. We need to give them some time to find the issue, fix it and issue a new firmware. Rest assured, we won't be letting them ignore or dismiss the issue. It will be fixed

Come on guys, this is getting out of hand, everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they handle their own problems, if turning the compass is a temp fix, then by all means do it, but please dont forget to help us out, the guys that refuse to move the compass and put some pressure on dji to come up with a fix, btw i have not stored my phantom, i fly it often, just close to me, lol, come on dji you can do it

Sana

Sanababit said:
Come on guys, this is getting out of hand, everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they handle their own problems, if turning the compass is a temp fix, then by all means do it, but please dont forget to help us out, the guys that refuse to move the compass and put some pressure on dji to come up with a fix, btw i have not stored my phantom, i fly it often, just close to me, lol, come on dji you can do it

Sana

Like. :)

nzvideoguys said:
John Shaw said:
From a GPS perspective...
As it is sitting on the ground it doesn't know where north is or which way it is facing. It just knows where it is. Once it takes off and starts to move it can determine the track direction by the way position is changing.

This doesn't make sense. When I turn on my Phantom, and view my iOSD data through the goggles, rotating the Phantom will cause the Az (Azimuth) reading to fluctuate. (Azimuth: the horizontal angle or direction of a compass bearing). So it seems clear that the Phantom is aware of which direction it's heading via the compass. If it didn't know, how could it fly? How could it find it's way home? The GPS is useless without a compass to tell it which direction it's flying.
See page 3.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .06_en.pdf

I think we are actually in agreement. I prefaced my comment with "From a GPS perspective" and was discussing what was known by the GPS - and it doesn't know True North. I agree it uses the magnetic compass to determine North as you said. And that's the problem - it start off with MagNorth and then in flight realizes the GPS motion doesn't make sense and it slowly resolves the discrepancy which results in the Toilet Bowl motion.

John Shaw said:
I think we are actually in agreement. I prefaced my comment with "From a GPS perspective" and was discussing what was known by the GPS - and it doesn't know True North. I agree it uses the magnetic compass to determine North as you said. And that's the problem - it start off with MagNorth and then in flight realizes the GPS motion doesn't make sense and it slowly resolves the discrepancy which results in the Toilet Bowl motion.
I don't see why you say that the GPS unit does not know where true north is. Maybe I don't understand what you're saying. My cheap hand-held GPS knows where true north is so why not the GPS module in the Phantom?

I think we are actually in agreement. I prefaced my comment with "From a GPS perspective" and was discussing what was known by the GPS - and it doesn't know True North. I agree it uses the magnetic compass to determine North as you said. And that's the problem - it start off with MagNorth and then in flight realizes the GPS motion doesn't make sense and it slowly resolves the discrepancy which results in the Toilet Bowl motion.[/quote]

Ah yes. I get where you're coming from now. :)

I am a phantom V1.1.1 owner and I have had a huge problem with the "j curve". My phantom always drifts to the left after I pitch forward and then drifts right when I pitch in reverse. I am positive it's magnetic declination because in LA it +12 and when I went to the Dominican Republic and flew it responded exactly the same but in the opposite direction (drifted right after pitching forward). In the Dominican Republic the magnetic declination is -11! Solid evidence of the problem mentioned!!

Bigbells said:
John Shaw said:
I don't see why you say that the GPS unit does not know where true north is. Maybe I don't understand what you're saying. My cheap hand-held GPS knows where true north is so why not the GPS module in the Phantom?

No - he is correct. GPS data only indicate instantaneous position, and give no information about the orientation of the unit. If your handheld unit knows which way is magnetic north, then that is because it contains a compass module in addition to a GPS chip. If it also knows which way is true north, then that is because it includes a declination algorithm or a declination lookup table as a function of location, which it uses to correct magnetic bearing to true bearing.

Peteski007 said:
I am a phantom V1.1.1 owner and I have had a huge problem with the "j curve". My phantom always drifts to the left after I pitch forward and then drifts right when I pitch in reverse. I am positive it's magnetic declination because in LA it +12 and when I went to the Dominican Republic and flew it responded exactly the same but in the opposite direction (drifted right after pitching forward). In the Dominican Republic the magnetic declination is -11! Solid evidence of the problem mentioned!!

This is the first 1.1.1 user that ive seen having the issue. Ian might wanna let dji know its not just the p2

sar104 said:
Bigbells said:
John Shaw said:

No - he is correct. GPS data only indicate instantaneous position, and give no information about the orientation of the unit. If your handheld unit knows which way is magnetic north, then that is because it contains a compass module in addition to a GPS chip. If it also knows which way is true north, then that is because it includes a declination algorithm or a declination lookup table as a function of location, which it uses to correct magnetic bearing to true bearing.
I didn't say that the GPS knows the orientation. My contention is that the GPS knows where it is in space. It knows where true north is but doesn't know how to head in that direction, is what I'm saying. Maybe this is another case of us saying the same thing without realizing it?

For a given latitude and longitude, there is a direction that is true north. The GPS knows the latitude and longitude that it's at, right?

Bigbells said:
sar104 said:
Bigbells said:

I didn't say that the GPS knows the orientation. My contention is that the GPS knows where it is in space. It knows where true north is but doesn't know how to head in that direction, is what I'm saying. Maybe this is another case of us saying the same thing without realizing it?

For a given latitude and longitude, there is a direction that is true north. The GPS knows the latitude and longitude that it's at, right?

The distinction is just in the detail. A GPS unit has a model of the earth's surface described by whatever coordinate system it is using, and it can plot locations on that model surface. If it has a satellite lock then it knows its own location. It also knows, by definition, where the north pole is on that model surface, and it could tell you what bearing to head to get there, which would in this case, trivially, always be 0 degrees true (true north). What it can't do is tell you what direction that is - it can't display an arrow pointing north, because it has no capability to sense direction, only location. That is the sense in which it does not know which way is north.

sar104 said:
d4ddyo said:
Jesus... everyone wants to be the expert.

That's a little harsh perhaps. I think people just want to understand the issues surrounding the problem.

It is a tad harsh and extremely sarcastic. Everyone is getting a little touchy but it "is what it is".

Can we leave the science in the classroom kids? Now that you have the knowledge can we get back to the subject and allowing DJI to fix the problem by providing them with pertinent data, calling/emailing DJI with your concerns, and notifying your state senator/representative to get some action done (more sarcasm).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94