Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First Time Buyer Help

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Help' started by yohhtee, Feb 15, 2015.

1. yohhtee

Ok, first off sorry if this is the wrong place. Anyways, I'm ready to order my first Phantom 2. I'm very much into the car scene here in Houston, Tx. I love taking videos and pictures of high performance cars at different car 'meets' and race tracks. I'd love to get some over head footage with the Phantom. But before I buy one I wanted to ask a few questions. I'm pretty much dead set on getting one I just need to clear a few things up first. I'm ballin' on a budget right now so I'm trying not too spend too much money. My plan is to get the Phantom 2 with the gimbal and use my Gopro Hero 4 silver on it. My only concern is if there is anyway to get a FPV with that setup? Because I'll be needing to see what I'm filming as cars are moving or even getting a close up fly around of a specific car. So I guess really, that's my main concern and question. Can it be done with the Gopro? and maybe my smartphone or Ipad? Or will I have to go with the "Vision" package? Sorry for the noobiness I'm just trying to learn! Thanks a lot. Hope to be flying with the rest of you soon!

2. turbodronepilot

Hey there yohhtee..I'm into racing too..
    I have a phantom vision plus it's the only phantom with fpv out of the box I believe. .
    If you go the go pro route you will need to add a fpv set up with a monitor and the go pro will not have a start and stop button..you'll have to turn it on before take off ..the p2v+ can take stills or video..
    right now you can get one on amazon (best return policies ) for a v1 for around a 1000 usd..
    I don't think I'd buy a v 3 for the extra cash and they may have more issues than the v1..imo..
    guys with the p 2 will know more about what's needed. .some prefer this set up. .
    I think the cost would be about the same for a p2 vs a p2+ v1 after the add on's and when you figure in the time it will take to get it up and running the p2+ would be a better buy imo..
    either way you go you will be surprised how much fun it is..good luck !! Tdp..

3. landmannnn

Non Vision version using your go pro.....If you go to the FPV section there is a quite a lot of advice, particularly in the stickies. In brief you will need a transmitter in the phantom and a combined receiver/screen to attach to the controller.

You could save some money by getting a basic phantom and buying a Tarot gimbal, they are about a quarter of the price of a Zenmuse. A bit more complicated to set up.

4. PhantomFanatic

Hi! As already stated, the "stickies" in the "FPV" section will give you links for the best prices. It also tells you everything that you will need to get your FPV working.

I don't know if you have decided on where to buy one, but I suggest: www.amazon.com and search for "phantom 2, V2"
    You will see the listing for the Phantom, version 2, with gimbal. I apologize for not giving you a direct link. Someone at Apple decided that I don't actually need the URL for each page on a site! I just see Amazon.com on each page. Grrr. :)

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find Phantoms on Amazon here.

#5 msinger, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015