First flight fly away....P3A crash...

How close did you get to that wall of power lines across the street? It looks like you were flying very close/parallel to them for a while.
What condition is the P3 now? Did it crash or were you able to land it?

I was intentionally trying to stay away from them, trying not to cross the street.. I wasn't controlling it when it starts the drift towards them. Something I just remember is the blades had stopped turning before it hit the ground also.

How close did you get to that wall of power lines across the street? It looks like you were flying very close/parallel to them for a while.
What condition is the P3 now? Did it crash or were you able to land it?

The camera is destroyed (broke off), There are very small cracks in the case you can tell it was tweaked because the silver stickers are bubbled, the landing gear is attached but the antennas are hanging off of it, no blades were broke. I brought it back to the driveway and everything powered back up and I actually hovered it about a foot off the ground but it wouldn't get GPS signal so something else inside is probably toast.

In your first video you can see the very faint line of the top single powerline, and I think you may of touched it.

In any case, as a novice (or even if your someone with 1000 hours of flight experience); you should have been nowhere near those powerlines

I know while it was under control it did not touch the power lines. When you see it start drifting towards them in the first video I did not have control of it

Those power lines are not the issue. It has a bad compass calibration. Classic TBE. Follow this and you will be fine: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

EDIT: Of course, you will need a need a camera.
Agreed that flying near power lines can be done safely and I have done so numerous times. What it looked like initially from the healthy drones log and then later from the videos is that it actually hit the power lines. Since the OP said that he wasn't in control as it flew to the power lines, it would have to be something else as you noted.

Maybe it's just my limited exposure, but I still haven't seen a reported case where a P3 has actually had a "fly away" that could not have been prevented. I always try to follow any thread with "fly away" in the title just in case one does happen.

Reactions: Neary Aerial
Those power lines are not the issue. It has a bad compass calibration. Classic TBE. Follow this and you will be fine: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer | DJI Phantom Forum

EDIT: Of course, you will need a need a camera.

I should have posted a better title.. This was my second flight (1st session)
Agreed that flying near power lines can be done safely and I have done so numerous times. What it looked like initially from the healthy drones log and then later from the videos is that it actually hit the power lines. Since the OP said that he wasn't in control as it flew to the power lines, it would have to be something else as you noted.

Maybe it's just my limited exposure, but I still haven't seen a reported case where a P3 has actually had a "fly away" that could not have been prevented. I always try to follow any thread with "fly away" in the title just in case one does happen.

I should have posted a better title, my apologizes .. This was my second flight (1st session). I had a previous flight of almost 5 minutes in roughly the same area with now issue. I'll post what that log looks like.

The camera is destroyed (broke off), There are very small cracks in the case you can tell it was tweaked because the silver stickers are bubbled, the landing gear is attached but the antennas are hanging off of it, no blades were broke. I brought it back to the driveway and everything powered back up and I actually hovered it about a foot off the ground but it wouldn't get GPS signal so something else inside is probably toast.
I'm so sorry to hear that you had damage. Its heartbreaking for all of us when a P3 goes down hard. I hope you can get it back to normal soon.

Reactions: JoBe
I don't see home point being set. Being in beginning mode how would it know it reached maximum distance. Could it be it was keying off the location of your first flight for HP?

If you follow the instructions here should be able to get more info about the crash, you want to get and post the .dat file....

FLYXXX.DAT

This. Healthydrones is not very useful for diagnosis. In the DAT file, I bet you will see some interesting MOD values.

Get it fixed and try flying in some of those more open areas close by. Thinking time is your freind and a bit higher up and further out than beginner mode allows actually makes things easier.

Reactions: sdtrojan
The .dat file is pretty big. Am allowed to upload it here?
Probably not. If you can't Dropbox it then you could upload it to FLYXXX.DAT and I'll retrieve it and Dropbox it for you. Ignore the suggestion to use the offline version and push the "Upload" button. You'll need to let me know what the file name is.

So sorry for your loss, also makes me sick. I am still looking at this...I am not as good as @Luap but I am just using excel and charts. It looks like it went below your takeoff point and backup without motors on, likely maybe it crashed lower and you carried it up back...or crash made it look like it went below ground level. Anyway, I see some disturbance in the MagMod but I don't think enough to cause an issue though I don't have a lot of experience with that. I do see full throttle and elevator (down and full back) followed by a CSC (motor off) event which turned the motors off. At this point it was maybe 50 feet up, did you do this on purpose because it was not responding maybe? Shortly after there is another CSC and the motors came back on briefly. I did not see anything that looked like a collision on the accelerometers but I will look more tomorrow. Below is a graph of the CSC event...
Picture1.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl