First drone Pilot charged in Edmonton area!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I avoid situations with my sUAS that will impact wildlife. In the few cases that I've inadvertently been in their vicinity, I've noticed that some animals and birds don't seem to notice. Others certainly do. But I've also noticed that stopping my vehicle, shutting the vehicle's door, walking in the vicinity is just as disruptive. Dogs also can cause wildlife "panic", often just by barking. I also comprehend that people, myself included prefer quite time when recreating. But loud talking can be just as annoying as a drone buzzing at 400 '. So I also avoid people as much as possible. I've missed catching some good scenes in the process. Basically, I just try to follow the rules, and try not to bother anyone or anything. Kind of limiting sometimes, but I don't want to add to the anti drone attitude.

They can't afford to police such a vast area. Hiring enough people to sit and watch all of the flyers to be able to catch the offenders is totally unrealistic. Making it not legal without special permissions is MUCH more manageable.

Yes, they are making a value statement for the wildlife over and above your rights to fly.

But of course, it's not just for the wildlife. They likely have the support of the public in this as well, most of which come to the park to do something other than fly drones.

It's the same public that also wants to be able to enjoy the wilderness without motorized ATVs, off-road cyclists, and hunters. Get over it.

So they don't already have park rangers of some sort that patrol the park to catch people acting stupid? How do they keep people from breaking rules while visiting if they don't have some sort of monitoring?

It's not about value as one does not decrease the value of the other. The drone doesn't kill off half the heard by its presence. I only made it through the first article posted above but at the end it even says that the data doesn't really mean anything, nor does it give the data any controls to compare against. The headline is click bait.

I don't have much to get over as I really have no dog in this fight at a personal level. I have no interest in flying in Canadian parks and since I've had my Phantom I've had no interest in going to any parks in the U.S. I mostly dislike bureaucracy and the poor effect it has on everyone.

It's funny you bring up ATVs, cyclists, and hunters though, considering the irrelevance to the conversation.

The closest park to me, a state park, does allow off road cycling and raffles off hunts. The deer don't mind, they watch you ride by, or walk by in my case dragging a loud wagon with small children in it. At any rate, none of the things you mention involve viewing the landscape and animals, which is the goal of someone with a sUAS.

I'm sorry you dislike ATVs, cyclists, and hunters, but they are not really relevant to this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Static8 and erkme73
Just read this article.

To protect wildlife, Elk Island National Park is no-drone zone
Parks Canada says unmanned aerial vehicles can bug the birds and bison

the-swainson-s-hawk-is-one-of-about-250-bird-species-recorded-at-elk-island.jpg

The Swainson's hawk is one of about 250 bird species recorded at Elk Island National Park (Elk Island National Park/Parks Canada)

As many bird species begin their annual migrations out of Elk Island National Park for the winter, Parks Canada wants to remind people that drones are not allowed there.

The remote-controlled flying vehicles are exploding in popularity, and while on-board cameras can capture incredible footage, drones can also cause problems with wildlife.

"I don't think a lot of people realize that it does in fact intrude on both wildlife and park operations," said Janelle Lane, a spokesperson for Elk Island National Park, about 50 km east of Edmonton.

Lane said one of the big concerns at this time of year is the impact on migratory birds flying south.

"Throughout the year, we can see up to 250 species of birds," Lane said. "So from nesting to migration, that airspace really is crucial to remain natural for those birds to feel safe."

The buzzing noise made by flying drones can also be disruptive to the park's larger animals, including about 800 bison.

the-buzzing-sound-of-drones-can-be-disruptive-to-the-approximately-800-wood-and-plains-bison.jpg

Staff say the buzzing noise from drones can be 'disruptive' to the approximately 800 bison at Elk Island National Park. (Elk Island National Park/Parks Canada)

"If you're at the bison loop, which is a popular place for vehicles to drive by, and you start having constant drone operations, the bison won't return to that spot," Lane said. "And that's an important place for them to feed, because it's a large meadow in the park."

While one person was charged last month with the unauthorized takeoff and landing of an aircraft, so far Parks Canada staff are concentrating on educating people about the issue.

That includes giving people who try to fly drones in the park what staff call "friendly reminders" that unmanned aerial vehicles have been banned there since 2014.

janelle-lane-with-the-no-drone-warning-signs-at-elk-island.JPG

Janelle Lane with the 'no-drone' warning signs at Elk Island park. (Gareth Hampshire CBC News)

Signs in the park warn people that those who fly drones could face fines. Drone flyers charged under the National Parks Act could face fines of up $25,000 for a first offence.

In the winter months, Parks Canada staff count bison, moose and elk from helicopters and don't want drones in the air.

The park is also keen to keep airspace clear for any possible RCMP helicopter searches or STARS air ambulance emergency flights.

elk-island-national-park-attracted-more-than-300-000-visitors-in-2015.JPG

Elk Island National Park attracted more than 300,000 visitors in 2015. (Gareth Hampshire CBC News)

On occasion, drone permits may be granted for film crews or for researchers, but not for recreational use.

Staff feel strongly the park should remain as natural as possible for visitors, Lane said.

"You want to have that sense of natural awe. If a robotic device flies overhead, not only is that moment interrupted but your privacy is also at risk."

RedHotPoker

This is such a load of BS IMO. Little quad copters such as the Phantom are little hindrance to birds and hopefully you'll know well enough not to pilot one near an oncoming flock of birds. And the buzz of a "drone" disturbing other ground based wild life? Complete f'n nonsense. That buzzing can barely be heard when you're a couple hundred feet up in the air. The sound of a motor vehicle passing or a large group of people chatting is going to be more disruptive than the barely audible sound of a Phantom flying overhead at over 100' + feet up

Can you keep an ol' bowhunter-tree standers secret,,,??
Unfortunately for us, and fortunately for most wildlife, they can hear a pine needle drop, in their (living room) forest. Shhhhh quiet!! ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yep..they can hear far greater than we can and I can hear mine coming back in easy from over 600' away.
And
Why is it assumed the bison and other wildlife have the mentality of an "get off my lawn" old person? Maybe they love the drones. Maybe they run, not to get away, but because they want to race?
Clint headshake.gif

how many people at National Parks want 10's of drones buzzing around while they are attempting to enjoy the sights.
Yeah there'll be 23 drones all in the same area at once.

I was able to fly in Big Bend NP and Death Valley NP about 3 months before the ban. I'm sad we can't fly in NPs any longer, but I do see their reasoning. I understand you can fly over a wilderness area. You just can't take off from, land in, or operate from within one. There are other beautiful places to fly that aren't near airports. There is always my back yard. But wait, I live with 2 miles of an airport. So, I get to notify them when I want to fly at home.

Think we all should have seen the restrictions coming. Last week some idiot posted his 2 minute drone video from Grand Canyon NP on YouTube. He got busted by a Park Ranger, but seemed quite proud of it. That's the mindset of the irresponsible "pilot" that got us where we are today!

I wonder why they haven't released the guilty drone pilots name? I'm curious to know, if it might be someone from this forum, or anyone I may have met and known, through www.ercha.ca or any other local association?
Like he would actually step forward, to identify him or herself publicly... Ha

RedHotPoker

Wow, it was just announced on our local cbc news that Parks Canada wants the public to know, we aren't welcome to bring our drones. A drone operator has been charged for unauthorized take off and landing in a national park area. Elk Island Park is officially an Off Limits to any drone activity zone. Apparently the buzzing of drones can bother the wildlife, and disturb some sensitive nesting birds in the park. They have a wild bison herd there..

First time offense under the Nationa Parks Act could bring about a fine up to $25,000. Now watch them try and stick it, to this guy.

What a shame. That was going to be one of my own dreamed about locations to enjoy a few flight batteries with the Phantom 3 Pro. Not any more... Darn.

RedHotPoker

Yes. There goes some missed footage and a good time once again.. If we fly higher they can't hear that buzz. And it's just a shame.. I feel so disliked by owning a drone. And this will probably happen to me at some point. I feel for the guy

For $25,000 you could travel half the world for exotic locations. ;-)
But I sure hope he doesn't get the maximum fine... That would bite...

RedHotPoker

63627891.jpg

Sorry guys, there was more than enough warnings.

Aside from that, you have to consider some examples given are few and far between. How many times have you seen the examples give? Very rarely, but when anybody with more money than brains can buy an RC aircraft capable of going to places humans may never tread. That is the problem, not that they are more or less obtrusive than a full scale heli or whatever, it's that they can be had by anyone and go most anyplace... that is a new problem for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl