First drone Pilot charged in Edmonton area!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you spend thousands of dollars to come to the US to visit some national parks with your family only to have to deal with a concentration of drones on the day of your visit? Now think about thousands of people who this would affect for that one day.

So I can go to the National Parks and enjoy them, but under your requirements instead of mine. We should ban terrestrial camera too, some of them make noise when you take a picture.

Blanket bans are ridiculous and lazy. Particularly considering how many people actually own UAV per capita. The parks aren't going to be overrun with drones.

So I can go to the National Parks and enjoy them, but under your requirements instead of mine. We should ban terrestrial camera too, some of them make noise when you take a picture.

Blanket bans are ridiculous and lazy. Particularly considering how many people actually own UAV per capita. The parks aren't going to be overrun with drones.

If you really want to make that argument I don't know if there is any need to discuss. Obviously there is a huge difference between the sound of buzzing drones and a camera click. This is not even mentioning the visual detriment as well as the danger of a done vs a hand held camera.

As far as the requirements.... the National Park service needs to consider everyone's interest. I'll tell you what... you sand at the entrance of a National Park and ask 100 people if they would mind drones being flown around them while they enjoy the views. You already know what the result will be. So it's not a "me and you" issue... it's a vast majority of people saying it would detract from the park itself.

The parks are not going to be over run with drones? Sure they will. How many people here alone have posted that they want to film in a National Park. Multiply that by a few million drone owners. National Parks would be _THE_ hotspot for drone use.

[QUOTE="tcope, post: 927719, member: 21184

The parks are not going to be over run with drones? Sure they will. How many people here alone have posted that they want to film in a National Park. Multiply that by a few million drone owners. National Parks would be _THE_ hotspot for drone use.[/QUOTE]

No they won't. Not every drone owner is going to show up every day and fly all day. I seriously doubt most people visiting National parks would even know there was on in the park, unless it was a small site.

And the parks are there to be enjoyed by everyone, not just those that only want things a certain way. Hey let's ban drones everywhere, since they make noise and could fall and hurt someone. You never know if in your run over the vast desert if someone might be sitting and enjoying the quiet.

No they're not going to ban drones everywhere and yes one can fall and hurt someone . Unlikely but it could .
Now lets not let this discussion get argumentative .:)
Think.jpg

So you spend thousands of dollars to come to the US to visit some national parks with your family only to have to deal with a concentration of drones on the day of your visit? Now think about thousands of people who this would affect for that one day.

That's called planning ahead. It's something I do anytime I'm preparing for a vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admittedly, Canada, and my Alberta particularly have some of the most incredibly beautiful scenery, landscapes and natural areas. Mostly untouched by human hands. So that desire, of wanting to fly drones and recording here, (what we Albertan's enjoy everyday), is most admirable.

No wonder film crews fly up here from Hollywood to film epic movies.

Just do it, with plenty of caution and forethought, while you are our visiting guests here. Ha

RedHotPoker

I brought my P3P with me on a drive from Winnipeg to Vancouver a couple of months ago, which included a trip down the Icefields Parkway. Literally every inch of that road is gorgeous from horizon to horizon, and I would have loved to have flown there, but it's the same as it is with our own National Parks; no fly, no way, no how. I didto use it in a few other places around Alberta and BC which were also quite pretty, just not as much.

It's too bad, I could have beaten my highest-takeoff altitude (set just a few days earlier near Devil's Tower) by flying around Athabasca Glacier. :hushed:

Let's see the official reports proving that the buzzing of drones disturbs wildlife.

Sent from my XT1575 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
I brought my P3P with me on a drive from Winnipeg to Vancouver a couple of months ago, which included a trip down the Icefields Parkway. Literally every inch of that road is gorgeous from horizon to horizon, and I would have loved to have flown there, but it's the same as it is with our own National Parks; no fly, no way, no how. I didto use it in a few other places around Alberta and BC which were also quite pretty, just not as much.

It's too bad, I could have beaten my highest-takeoff altitude (set just a few days earlier near Devil's Tower) by flying around Athabasca Glacier. :hushed:
Wow, your description sounds like a wonderful road trip for you?
It must have been extremely scenic, and most memorable all along.
Thanks for the nice comments, we are very proud of our wonderful land, and obvious large wilderness.
If you are ever traveling through again, please look me up, as I would love for you to see some of the awesomeness, eye opening places right here in my wonderful city, and near outskirts.

RedHotPoker

Let's see the official reports proving that the buzzing of drones disturbs wildlife.

Sent from my XT1575 using PhantomPilots mobile app
The bison aren't sharing the documented info!! ;-)
Nor are the large flocks of wild birds...
I couldn't find the shy elk...

Come on up and see them, for yourself? Ha

RedHotPoker

I looked at youtube and yes, there are videos, it still would be nice to see a report on impact in various conditions. Once there is knowledge to educate, then a responsible governance model can be put it place. Just like the one the USCG did on head chemicals on boats years ago. An entire industry got behind that too.

It would still be nice to have a few days a year where one could shoot responsibly in places like Death Valley or Monument, and let it be known, make sure that a fee is paid to cover the cost of administration with each UAS operator submitting a flight plan or plans for more than one location. There may be places where a blanket ban works best, places with large herds etc. A compromise, education and understanding can be achieved but not easily.

For decades we spent two weeks in Avalon/Stone Harbor NJ every Summer. A number of years ago the town of Stone Harbor NJ banned kites over the point because some birders stated the kites disturbed a specific species of bird. Simple enough, the festival, events and kiters all moved and went elsewhere, mostly down to Nags Head NC. The point - take your money, your stuff and go where you can enjoy flying and take shots there instead.

I love those large kites, and wish I had a few to fly myself. ;-)
They have always fascinated me. Bold & colourful, often with truly awesome graphics...
Some gifted pilots can control them with ease...
Spectacular to witness a pro on the strings...

RedHotPoker

Why is it assumed the bison and other wildlife have the mentality of an "get off my lawn" old person? Maybe they love the drones. Maybe they run, not to get away, but because they want to race?

Reactions: erkme73
Wow, it was just announced on our local cbc news that Parks Canada wants the public to know, we aren't welcome to bring our drones. A drone operator has been charged for unauthorized take off and landing in a national park area. Elk Island Park is officially an Off Limits to any drone activity zone. Apparently the buzzing of drones can bother the wildlife, and disturb some sensitive nesting birds in the park. They have a wild bison herd there..

First time offense under the Nationa Parks Act could bring about a fine up to $25,000. Now watch them try and stick it, to this guy.

What a shame. That was going to be one of my own dreamed about locations to enjoy a few flight batteries with the Phantom 3 Pro. Not any more... Darn.

RedHotPoker
Best thing to do, is if every one would just NOT go to ANY national parks, stay out any of them! then they wont get no ones money. teach them a lesson!

Wow, it was just announced on our local cbc news that Parks Canada wants the public to know, we aren't welcome to bring our drones. A drone operator has been charged for unauthorized take off and landing in a national park area. Elk Island Park is officially an Off Limits to any drone activity zone. Apparently the buzzing of drones can bother the wildlife, and disturb some sensitive nesting birds in the park. They have a wild bison herd there..

First time offense under the Nationa Parks Act could bring about a fine up to $25,000. Now watch them try and stick it, to this guy.

What a shame. That was going to be one of my own dreamed about locations to enjoy a few flight batteries with the Phantom 3 Pro. Not any more... Darn.

RedHotPoker
It's a bunch of crap...but yet with special permission film crews etc can have permission ,now really their drones are nature friendly.?.I have a tough time believing they will be able to prosecute. Helicopters .planes etc are way more detrimental to wildlife .I think it's time we need a lawyer to fight back at these outrageous claims ...if a multi rotor pilot is careful and doesn't purposely buzz the animals , I really can't see them charging any one.

Reactions: erkme73
It's a shame that people don't have enough common sense to avoid giving ammunition to the anti-drone crowd. It's bad enough that public perception is already so jaded as a result of the propaganda pushed by the media.

National Parks don't need visitors to make money. They're funded through taxation. Sure, there might be some vendors, and staffing levels are affected by turnout, but as a whole, boycotting a government-run operation has zero impact.

I read the article with befuddlement. I'm sure there are legitimate, scientific reasons why drones could be harmful or disruptive to wildlife. But, the moment a regulating agency says it's bad, harmful, etc unless you pay a permit/fee they've lost all credibility.

We have the same thing here in FL with fishing. It used to be illegal to fish from a boat without a license. And, your license isn't a general "it's ok to fish". You have to get one for fresh water and for salt water if you plan on fishing in both locations. As long as you fished from a pier or river bank - or even wading in water - no license required. But then, the bureaucrats realized the lost potential revenue - and the law was changed. Now, if you want to fish anywhere in FL, you need a license. You can buy a license anywhere - even at Walmart. You don't have to go through fishing school, or pass any type of proficiency exam. If you're an uneducated fisherman, and you don't know what's in season, or what the size limits are, simply paying a fee to the state doesn't change your behavior. You're still going to potentially catch/keep illegal fish. That is, the wildlife still suffers. The only difference is, .gov makes money.

.Gov wants the skies for themselves, and will only share them if you pay your penance.

Reactions: Static8 and Biggle
And those offenders should be dealt with.
They can't afford to police such a vast area. Hiring enough people to sit and watch all of the flyers to be able to catch the offenders is totally unrealistic. Making it not legal without special permissions is MUCH more manageable.

Yes, they are making a value statement for the wildlife over and above your rights to fly.

But of course, it's not just for the wildlife. They likely have the support of the public in this as well, most of which come to the park to do something other than fly drones.

It's the same public that also wants to be able to enjoy the wilderness without motorized ATVs, off-road cyclists, and hunters. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik