First crash with P3 Pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my first crash yesterday with my P3P. I had been having intermittent compass issues when taking off from my patio (yes I realize that the metal can affect the compass). Yesterday the compass was toggling between good and error. I reset the bird and got a "Good to fly GPS" message.

Ascended to about 75 feet (above the trees) and I knew that I was in ATTI and started hearing the alerts. Drifting swiftly away, I was able to get it back in view. Trouble is my yard is lined with trees on both sides, not an issue with a good compass/GPS lock, but kind of tight in ATTI. I ascended about another 10 feet while bringing it closer to me, then started bringing it down, drifting a lot, wind did not help. It was somewhat windy, about 10-12 mph. I maintained relatively good control down to about 20-25 agl, then skimmed a tree. The bird hit the ground upside down, ejecting the battery.

I reset the battery, did an IMU cal and a compass cal. Everything seemed ok, no gimbal or camera damage. Did a test without props, then did a quick test flight.

No appreciable damage, but I did notice a couple hairline cracks under two motors, glued.

This happened one time when I was flying my Standard last year, had to repair the gimbal arm and cable after the camera snapped.

I have gotten better flying in ATTI mode but was very lucky this time. Very difficult to control the bird with no assist and wind. Practice, practice, practice. I shudder to think of what could have happened, fly away, hitting a neighbors house, etc.

Apologies for the long post, hopefully someone will benefit.

Rob

Hi,

I had my first crash yesterday with my P3P. I had been having intermittent compass issues when taking off from my patio (yes I realize that the metal can affect the compass). Yesterday the compass was toggling between good and error. I reset the bird and got a "Good to fly GPS" message.

Ascended to about 75 feet (above the trees) and I knew that I was in ATTI and started hearing the alerts. Drifting swiftly away, I was able to get it back in view. Trouble is my yard is lined with trees on both sides, not an issue with a good compass/GPS lock, but kind of tight in ATTI. I ascended about another 10 feet while bringing it closer to me, then started bringing it down, drifting a lot, wind did not help. It was somewhat windy, about 10-12 mph. I maintained relatively good control down to about 20-25 agl, then skimmed a tree. The bird hit the ground upside down, ejecting the battery.

I reset the battery, did an IMU cal and a compass cal. Everything seemed ok, no gimbal or camera damage. Did a test without props, then did a quick test flight.

No appreciable damage, but I did notice a couple hairline cracks under two motors, glued.

This happened one time when I was flying my Standard last year, had to repair the gimbal arm and cable after the camera snapped.

I have gotten better flying in ATTI mode but was very lucky this time. Very difficult to control the bird with no assist and wind. Practice, practice, practice. I shudder to think of what could have happened, fly away, hitting a neighbors house, etc.

Apologies for the long post, hopefully someone will benefit.

Rob
You were lucky, but I do wonder Rob, why you persist in flying in an area that you know is so problematic? Given that fact, unfortunately this outcome was somewhat inevitable....

Numone,

Very good point. Most of the time, it's not an issue at all.
Could the Kp index or atmospheric conditions contribute (Kp was 5 yesterday and very cloudy)? I have had a total of 2 instances (in over 200 flights) where I have had an issue and have been able to safely land on other occasions. Need to practice more in ATTI mode and hover longer at the beginning of the flight. Many times I will walk up to the local park, but if the sunset looks good. I like to go up for a few minutes, take a couple photos and bring it back down. I will try to survey the yard to see if there is a more suitable take off spot (big yard). Another weird thing was that the error persisted after taking off with a "Good to fly" status. I recalibrated the IMU and Compass and will proceed with caution.

These broken clouds (after a storm) with the sun peeking through near sunset) make for some great shots.

Thanks for the reply,

Rob

Numone,

Very good point. Most of the time, it's not an issue at all.
Could the Kp index or atmospheric conditions contribute (Kp was 5 yesterday and very cloudy)? I have had a total of 2 instances (in over 200 flights) where I have had an issue and have been able to safely land on other occasions. Need to practice more in ATTI mode and hover longer at the beginning of the flight. Many times I will walk up to the local park, but if the sunset looks good. I like to go up for a few minutes, take a couple photos and bring it back down. I will try to survey the yard to see if there is a more suitable take off spot (big yard). Another weird thing was that the error persisted after taking off with a "Good to fly" status. I recalibrated the IMU and Compass and will proceed with caution.

These broken clouds (after a storm) with the sun peeking through near sunset) make for some great shots.

Thanks for the reply,

Rob

I don't think the kp index would've had an effect, but I wouldn't have carried-on with the flight when the compass warnings started and then ATTI kicked-in, not because I'm worried about flying in ATTI, far from it - >50% of my flying is now in ATTI - but because there was clearly something wrong. The good thing is Rob, you'll never do that again! I had one similar instance to yours and that was the reason I'd started flying in ATTI far more, to really learn how to pilot the AC without tech aids so I can get it back without panic, which I was able to do then and will again when I have a similar failure in the future!

Cheers... Numone (Rob Smith Snr!)

PS - I always let the AC hover for 30 secs at 10-12 feet at the start of a flight, just to ensure things are OK.

Numone (Rob),

I had a green "Ready to fly" when I took off, but then almost immediately experienced the compass error.

You made some very valid points, thanks for the replies!

Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl