Firmware v 1.8.80 released (with notes)

I have installed latest FW versions on my RC and AC.

Initial results are encouraging though I have not yet gone to the field.

Some of the positives:

RC appears to be tightly coupled to AC, through encrypted communication between them. I noticed improvement in GPS displays. I moved my AC near to my fridge and got compass calibration error, moved away and all became normal. If the results are the intended true results then it's a good sign for all of us.

Negatives: Don't know what else has been updated behind the scene. :)

Actually, that has me confused, lol. Are you saying this new aircraft firmware 8.1 will include the latest battery firmware and detect if a battery within the aircraft at the time of firmware update needs it and therefore apply it? If so, all batteries you own will need to be put in the aircraft before removing the SD card with the update on it, so each battery can get updated.

Exactly what I'm saying. Each fw include all the sections (modules). So fw update process updates to last available ... (unless DJI made some dirty joke...)
Imagine what happens if I go straight to latest version not knowing nothing about battery fw !! .. I can't go back to 1.6.40 anymore... so what can I do to update battery ? Same apply to all other sections (IMU, Gimbal, video DSP., transmitter ..)!

Exactly what I'm saying. Each fw include all the sections (modules). So fw update process updates to last available ... (unless DJI made some dirty joke...)
Imagine what happens if I go straight to latest version not knowing nothing about battery fw !! .. I can't go back to 1.6.40 anymore... so what can I do to update battery ? Same apply to all other sections (IMU, Gimbal, video DSP., transmitter ..)!
But the issue of battery updates can get confused when it's stated that there is no battery update for a particular system firmware update. That won't be the case if you're way behind in firmware updates and missed a battery update [or two] along the way. You'll absolutely need to update all your batteries in that case. It's just another reason why I don't prefer to fall too far behind in firmware updates.

But the issue of battery updates can get confused when it's stated that there is no battery update for a particular system firmware update. That won't be the case if you're way behind in firmware updates and missed a battery update [or two] along the way. You'll absolutely need to update all your batteries in that case. It's just another reason why I don't prefer to fall too far behind in firmware updates.

Oh, that's my fault saying "no battery update", but I'm asserting it relative to last fw ...
It's not good idea stay too much behind with fw, with more than one release.

Oh, that's my fault saying "no battery update", but I'm asserting it relative to last fw ...
It's not good idea stay too much behind with fw, with more than one release.
Not placing blame. People usually want to know if there's a battery update with any firmware and it's often said that no, there isn't. But that will depend on how far behind you are in firmware updates and what you may have missed.

What started this was the question, can I jump from 1.4 to 1.8. Yes you can but if you have multiple batteries you'll have to update them all before you pull the card out of the bird.

Reactions: Dome
I have installed latest FW versions on my RC and AC.

Initial results are encouraging though I have not yet gone to the field.

Some of the positives:

RC appears to be tightly coupled to AC, through encrypted communication between them. I noticed improvement in GPS displays. I moved my AC near to my fridge and got compass calibration error, moved away and all became normal. If the results are the intended true results then it's a good sign for all of us.

Negatives: Don't know what else has been updated behind the scene. :)

Same here, i've got 4 satellites in doors now whereas before I had none :)

Do you have to cycle all the batteries through the A/C for the update?
Yes.
You can either:
  1. Upgrade each battery immediately after upgrading the aircraft
  2. Upgrade each battery as you install them in the field (change them out to keep flying).
If your SD card has the most recent or newer firmware than what is installed on the battery you're about to insert, and the SD card is inserted, the battery will upgrade all by itself once you insert batter and power up the aircraft. Battery update is relatively quick.

You will notice, if it's not too noisey where you're flying, that any battery that wasn't already upgraded will cause the aircraft to beep (D-D-D-D) just like it does when you install new firmware. It's just much quicker to upgrade the battery than the aircraft itself

Yeah, I did an IMU re-cal this morning. It was way inside my little apt. Got 8 satellites! And a note from the other day's very short test flight................ I could have sworn the battery was lasting a little longer that what I remember. It stayed on 100% well into 3-4 minutes into flight. In very windy conditions. Maybe a fluke, maybe I'm imagining things.

Some questions:

- 32 hack still works?
- Distance is better, worse or the same?
- Non DJI batteries, like from Banggood....still work?
- What is the lowest possible version we can use on Android?

Thank YOU!

Should i do both IMU and compass calibration after this update? Or only compass?

I would like to up grade to this firmware .
can't find it anywhere.
please send link to it thx D

Should i do both IMU and compass calibration after this update? Or only compass?
I suggest you do only IMU Calibration after FW update. In case you have a calibration issue, you will be warned.

I just updated and it seemed to work fine... check in the about seciton and get the right number 1.8.80 but noticed that the little light on the camera is RED... or is it always red... thought it should be green this is after I rebooted the aircraft

I'm gonna check out a few other things but if you know right off the top of your head please advise

Thanks

Nevermind!!!! Helps if I put my regular SD card back in.... sorry to take your time!

Reactions: CFoxtrot
At this time the ac firmware is v1.06.0040. Can update the ac firmware from v1.06.0040 to v1.8.80 or first I must update the ac firmware to v1.7.0060 and then update to the last firmware version???

The last battery update I had was in 1.6. And my app told me that battery needed updated. I updated everything fine with 1.8 but did not switch out all my other batts.

At this time the ac firmware is v1.06.0040. Can update the ac firmware from v1.06.0040 to v1.8.80 or first I must update the ac firmware to v1.7.0060 and then update to the last firmware version???
You can update straight to 1.8.80

The last battery update I had was in 1.6. And my app told me that battery needed updated. I updated everything fine with 1.8 but did not switch out all my other batts.
Not needed as I didn't read that there was an battery update. Its a good practice to leave the bin file on the SD card and in case you use a battery that is not updated, it will be automatically updated when you switch on the bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT