Firefighters try to drown drone

IMHO there was fault on both sides. These arguments are just going to keep going round and round and back and forth. We all need to just step back and breath some fresh air.
Peace Out!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Did anyone else wonder why they didn't turn the hose on the reporter who shows up in the lower left corner at 13:37 in the video? He was clearly filming. o_O

Even if they guy "shouldn't" been that close. Dont really matter being he didnt break any laws were as if any one including a fire fighters deliberately tried to take it out. There are a few crimes that defiantly apply there being its against the law to try and take down ANY flying craft maned or unnamed. and its also felony destruction of property and on top of that If any thing trying to take it out very well could of caused some one to off been injured if it had flow out of control and hit some one the fire fighters would of been the ones at fault.

and its not like they can legitimately say they had good cause to or that it was preventing them from putting out the fire so necessary to try and take it out.

Its not like its a car thats parked in a fire lane or some thing like that. Which I know my father in law has deliberately crushed and smashed more cars then you could shake a stick at in situations like that. When he used to drive the fire truck. But there is a big difference when is some thing that is actually preventing them from getting to a fire and there is no way around it or time to wait to try and get the owner to move the car.

Its not very often were I can say any firemen did a dickhead move that was not cool but this is one were they did. I just hope it don't end up costing the dept to much money being its not like they are cops and just get unlimited budgets to spend on stuff. Its bad enough that when a dept needs new stuff they have to have a bake sale or some thing. Yet police depts get to spend tax pairers money on stuff they dont need nore should even be allowed to have.

Adam I'm slightly confused with what you say, forgive me if I just don't "grasp" because I can't comprehend.

You say "it seems he didn't keep a safe distance" then say "I can't see any way he endangered anyone"

A safe distance from the water!!! Keeping your drone safe! If you're close enough where they can spray you? You're too close!

You say "Nevermind whether they meant to hit him"
It did look like he took a position then fired directly at the Quad but that could just be an opinion

They absolutely fired directly at him. My point is, no judge would ever care. You're over an active fire... that's all part of the risk you took deciding to fly that close.

"and I can't fathom trying to tell a judge that the firefighters were at fault with their waterspray"
This one I am not confused, the action was orchestrated and promptly delivered in my opinion, if he took action he would stand a chance

I feel if he took his video to the fire station the "chief" would see it his way and settle.

The moment a fire chief said they felt he was interfering, the case would be over. Fireman hold more clout than a guy flying a drone over an active fire! Anyone except us drone enthusiasts would say "uhm, duh... you're lucky it just got wet."

It's about self-awareness of how things look. You can probably legally fly it over a funeral, but if someone at that funeral shot it down? You're probably gonna have to eat that. Right or wrong, the court of public opinion will drown you.

It doesn't matter that I personally feel that was a **** move by the firefighters... that's my own bias towards my beloved drone. Fact is, if you're within reach of the spray of that water hose? You are close enough that you have no defense.

After he was sprayed the first time, he went back in where they could hit him again.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Thanks Adam, this is why I like this forum people come from different positions of life experiences that create a position for their own views, I think that's why I enjoy the gun threads so much when they pop up.

The net is tricky, I quoted you literally (a trap I knew) and I was keen to see your Take on it.

Yes the guy was a plonker in a few areas but I hate to say it, I would have done the same, stupid is what stupid does and I am stupid indeed lol
:)

Reactions: Adam Kontras
The sad thing is, the majority of kids graduating from our public school system speak and write the same way. Are they just not teaching proper English anymore? How are they graduating class after class that cannot even write properly?!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro
Not referring to you, some of the participants on this board don't know how to type either.

Thanks Adam, this is why I like this forum people come from different positions of life experiences that create a position for their own views, I think that's why I enjoy the gun threads so much when they pop up.

The net is tricky, I quoted you literally (a trap I knew) and I was keen to see your Take on it.

Yes the guy was a plonker in a few areas but I hate to say it, I would have done the same, stupid is what stupid does and I am stupid indeed lol
:)

I would probably fly it over the house too! I would just keep a distance knowing the inherent danger. I mean even if they hadn't meant to, errant water sprays pretty **** far into the air... it's simply a risky flight, so beware. I just always assume the worst. Kinda like those idiots who had their P3P hit out of the air by that fat homeless dude. You have to be able to see that coming, man. Hit up on your stick for .5 seconds, you know? Who cares that they were "in the right" and he was wrong?!?!? Good luck suing a homeless guy you morons. Being right doesn't mean a whole lot when you're drone-less.

After he was sprayed the first time, he went back in where they could hit him again.

The stupid is strong with this one.

If people asked me not to fly near them and I went back and flew near them, I would be in the wrong. I'm not sure why this is hard to understand.

If you descend low enough where people can hear a hornets nest approaching them and they look up, that is distracting regardless of your job as a firefighter or your opinion. You all know the height I'm talking about too. Seems like collectively at a certain height everyone turns and looks.

I don't know how many of you have ever seen what a damaged LiPo battery does when it pops. I've had a couple "pop" due to crash damage and I'll tell you this. It isn't safe or pretty. When one does go, it causes an intense fire for some seconds. The two I've seen go were of the 25C variety.

Had these jerks caused this drone to crash due to their "spirited" actions, the resulting fire had this thing of crashed on top of another house could have been severe.

While I disagree with the pilot flying so close to an active scene, I also disagree with his overflight of people regardless of their hard hats, public servants have ZERO expectation of privacy in the performance of their duties. Sure, something can be said were the homeowner to of been offended by the drone flying so close, but a damned firefighter IS NOT a Judge.

Had the safety of the firefighters been in question, the proper method to deal with this situation would be to contact one of the many police personnel at the scene. The actions of these unprofessional firemen could have resulted in a secondary fire had the drone crashed due to their actions.

TOTALLY unprofessional by BOTH parties.

Last edited:
Should there have been an accident or some other event, they would **** sure like to have the video. The firefighter was out of line imo. Why is he aiming a water stream at a drone when the house is on fire.

Some of you people are wound tight go out and hug a tree or something :p
some here act like they do no wrong and are the perfect example of a upstanding citizen :eek:
Anywhomovingon :p:p

The list of my known wrongs is shrinking, the list of my unknown wrongs would be very very long, but I still fly. :)

(adding the extra "very" should make no difference, yet it does look like it makes the point very strong)

From a Firefighter POV these types of videos that quads provide could be a very useful and fundamental tool for us in learning how certain fire operations take place. As someone said before if a drone got close to me on a job I'd prob think I gotta find this guy before we leave so I can get some clips of us getting salty. But for them to spray the line at the quad I'm gonna say the nozzleman and his backup were prob laughing and saying I wonder if I could hit it from here. As for the pilot interfering, I don't see a problem with it. Maybe yes he should have talked with the IC and asked but then again if a guy was bothering me while I was in command Id prob walk away cause I got bigger things to worry about. It's no different then a neighbor hanging over the fence and taking video.

Also just looking back at the footage, at one point the operations chief orders his men to turn around and shoot at the craft, totally uncalled for. You have a job to do, worrying about someone filming you with a harmless phantom should be last. Total scumbag move.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.