Finally happened... *sigh*

Reaction score
Flying my P3A using Litchi today, having a great time using waypoints and getting great video.
I was flying in my neighborhood where the reception for some reason is notoriously bad, but with Litchi, once you start a mission, it will continue until it is complete, which by the way, is an awesome feature.
Last waypoint mission, no difference in altitude than the others, was going along smoothly. I pitched the gimble down a bit and was flying along all happy when I notice that it looks as if it is coming very close to the tops of the trees, (Lot's of trees in Connecticut) , which * I thought* just looked closer because of the lower gimble pitch.
Turns out, that no, it was a taller tree, I tried to raise my bird but no joy. She hit the very upper branches and began to fall......

I hit the "find my phantom", and located her, jumped in my car and went.
I found her her in a very nice guys backyard foresty area. Upside down, lights still blinking just waiting.

The damage..

Props messed up
Trakimo is gone, had it in a mount fitted between the landing gear. there is so much forest debris I'll never locate it. Given its color is the same as the dead leaves and what not.
The front seam in the body separated ever so slightly, (popped that back in without issue)
The compass, or what I think is the compass popped out of the landing gear, put that back together,
and worst of all, the gimble doesn't work. The camera works, just not the gimble, as the ribbon cable was cut slightly where it bends on a corner.

All in all, could have been much worse as she fell from 140 feet, tumbling through a mighty oak.

I can replace the ribbon cable, and should have a new one in a couple of days that I can do myself.
The worst part... realizing it is totally my fault....

I cut out about 7 minutes of her laying upside down..

Reactions: clackey
If the guy was nice maybe he will let you go back to the area with a metal detector a friends or a rental perhaps? For the Trackimo
Sorry to hear of your crash.
Thanks for Manning up! It will possibly help someone

Sorry to hear about your crash but thanks for sharing. Hope you're up flying soon. Lesson learned I guess.

If the guy was nice maybe he will let you go back to the area with a metal detector a friends or a rental perhaps? For the Trackimo
Sorry to hear of your crash.
Thanks for Manning up! It's will possibly help someone
The home owner was super nice about it. When I walked up his driveway with my RC in hand and asked him if he minded if I looked for my drone I just ran into one of his trees, his first response was, "need some help", I said no and he said sure, hope you find it. We have some good folks out here!

Sorry to hear about your crash but thanks for sharing. Hope you're up flying soon. Lesson learned I guess.
More altitude! Thanks, I'll be flying next weekend.

The home owner was super nice about it. When I walked up his driveway with my RC in hand and asked him if he minded if I looked for my drone I just ran into one of his trees, his first response was, "need some help", I said no and he said sure, hope you find it. We have some good folks out here!

That's great! news I know the Trackimo's are not that expensive but $130.00 or whatever you paid? but it's money lost. I bet I could located it fast so ask around it has enough metal even a cheap one would work.

I wish you the best!

Last edited:
...And that my friends is why GS should be done in an open field!
This is why I don't care for GS waypoints. I rather fly it then it fly itself.

...And that my friends is why GS should be done in an open field!
This is why I don't care for GS waypoints. I rather fly it then it fly itself.[/QUOTE
I think waypoints have their use, works well for me in areas when the signal gets poor and I can't fly her myself. This wasn't a waypoint fault, this was total pilot error.

Reactions: Bigdz
Flying my P3A using Litchi today, having a great time using waypoints and getting great video.
I was flying in my neighborhood where the reception for some reason is notoriously bad, but with Litchi, once you start a mission, it will continue until it is complete, which by the way, is an awesome feature.
Last waypoint mission, no difference in altitude than the others, was going along smoothly. I pitched the gimble down a bit and was flying along all happy when I notice that it looks as if it is coming very close to the tops of the trees, (Lot's of trees in Connecticut) , which * I thought* just looked closer because of the lower gimble pitch.
Turns out, that no, it was a taller tree, I tried to raise my bird but no joy. She hit the very upper branches and began to fall......

I hit the "find my phantom", and located her, jumped in my car and went.
I found her her in a very nice guys backyard foresty area. Upside down, lights still blinking just waiting.

The damage..

Props messed up
Trakimo is gone, had it in a mount fitted between the landing gear. there is so much forest debris I'll never locate it. Given its color is the same as the dead leaves and what not.
The front seam in the body separated ever so slightly, (popped that back in without issue)
The compass, or what I think is the compass popped out of the landing gear, put that back together,
and worst of all, the gimble doesn't work. The camera works, just not the gimble, as the ribbon cable was cut slightly where it bends on a corner.

All in all, could have been much worse as she fell from 140 feet, tumbling through a mighty oak.

I can replace the ribbon cable, and should have a new one in a couple of days that I can do myself.
The worst part... realizing it is totally my fault....

I cut out about 7 minutes of her laying upside down..
Thanks for sharing so everyone can learn.

Please don't be offended, but I find it a bit ironic that you can't locate the Trackimo. Do the Trackimo devices come in assorted colors or have after market cases like a mobile phone? Perhaps flourescent orange would be good to help people find it if it comes loose as yours did.

I hope you're back in the air soon sir.

So you need a tracker for your tracker? o_O

Glad you recovered your bird and the homeowner was not a paranoid loon. Did I miss something here? Why can't you find the tracker? Is that not the purpose of it?

Thanks for sharing so everyone can learn.

Please don't be offended, but I find it a bit ironic that you can't locate the Trackimo. Do the Trackimo devices come in assorted colors or have after market cases like a mobile phone? Perhaps flourescent orange would be good to help people find it if it comes loose as yours did.

I hope you're back in the air soon sir.

Oh, I'm not offended at all.. my trackimo is grey and I never even thought that it would pop out, just never occurred to me. The mount I bought for it was a 3d print mount that held it in pretty tight.
It is ironic though that I used the Litchi app to find her, only to find the trackimo gone.
I'll go back tomorrow and see what I can find.

So you need a tracker for your tracker? o_O

Glad you recovered your bird and the homeowner was not a paranoid loon. Did I miss something here? Why can't you find the tracker? Is that not the purpose of it?
The area it's in is forest and with the old leaves and what not, I can't spot it.
I'll go back tomorrow, Not like it's going to fly away :D

The area it's in is forest and with the old leaves and what not, I can't spot it.
I'll go back tomorrow, Not like it's going to fly away :D
OK, but it is a tracker right... can you not 'track' it? If mine was to fall off (PocketFinder) I would open up the iPhone app and track it. I assume you could do something similiar? No?

Reactions: dirkclod
Right, but it is a tracker right... can you not 'track' it? If mine was to fall off (PocketFinder) I would open up the iPhone app and track it. I assume you could do something similiar? No?
Yes, the app tells me where it is, given it's GPS I thought it would be easy to find, but, it just a dense forest floor, and my eye's aren't what they used to be.

Yes, the app tells me where it is, given it's GPS I thought it would be easy to find, but, it just a dense forest floor, and my eye's aren't what they used to be.

That is a bit ironic actually. Maybe there a lesson here to do something to make the tracking device itself more visible. I guess the assumption is that the tracker will stay attached to the device.

Oh... now I see. You located its basic location but it's a matter of spotting it in the brush, etc.
I used a bit of string and tied a safety loop aroud the holder of mine... just in case.

Oh... now I see. You located its basic location but it's a matter of spotting it in the brush, etc.
I used a bit of string and tied a safety loop aroud the holder of mine... just in case.
Definitely going to zip tie around the holder.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl