FAA Registration

They are just warning that the "Registration Companies" are scams.

Reactions: BigAl07
here is some thing that I was ridiculed for pointing out the fact that they WILL be making all the info public as they would be required to by law. BUT some people dont understand governments and how they work and were stupid enough to try and tell me i was wrong or had a tin foil hat on even tho I am an expert in the subject and have seldom ever been wrong before. being i am very well versed in knowing how to read in there Orwellian dialect and double speak. and knowing that instead of seeing 1984 as a warning they took it to be an instruction manual and have vastly exceeded any thing orwel even could of imagined with how big and how incompetent big brother is even when they dont intend to be bad. they still never should be blidly trusted same as how no one should be just blindly trusted 100% esp not some one who has a bad track record in trustworthiness.

But to all thos that said I was nuts for pointing out that the faqs were wrong when they said the reg info will be keep private and not publicly searchable. So here read it and weep. sheep.
I hope no one has kids they dont want pervos to now find out were they live if they have a drone or any female that dont want stalkers or rapists to know there home address after seeing some thing on line indicating they own a drone. so they can have the friendly faa hand all that info over to any one that wants it. or searches for it.

FAA Finally Admits Names And Home Addresses In Drone Registry Will Be Publicly Available

The FAA finally confirmed this afternoon that model aircraft registrants’ names and home addresses will be public. In an email message, the FAA stated: “Until the drone registry system is modified, the FAA will not release names and address. When the drone registry system is modified to permit public searches of registration numbers, names and addresses will be revealed through those searches.”

I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of whether names and home addresses of model aircraft or hobby drone owners – including children as young as 13 – will be made available by the FAA to the public once the FAA’s new unmanned aircraft registry goes live on Monday. It seems a simple enough question. But it took a while to get a straight answer.

My confusion arose because of an apparent contradiction that a colleague pointed out to me between what the FAA stated in its FAQs on the new registration rule and what the Department of Transportation stated in a legal filing made at the same time as the FAA’s new rule was published. The FAA’s FAQs made it appear that only the FAA, its contractor and law enforcement agencies would have access to the data. Here is the FAA’s FAQ:

ADVERTISING
  1. Who can see the data that I can enter?
    A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

This led me – and many others I’ve spoken with – to believe that only these three entities would have access to registrants’ personal information. But my colleague pointed out that the DOT’s filing contained the following statement, “all records maintained by the FAA in connection with aircraft registered are included in the Aircraft Registry and made available to the public, except email address and credit card information submitted under part 48 [the new model aircraft registry].”In addition, the DOT statement says the name and address of model aircraft owners will be searchable by registration number.

Recommended by Forbes
So, I emailed DOT’s public affairs office to ask if they could clarify what information from the newly announced UAS registry will be made publicly available. Specifically I asked: “Will a hobby registrant’s name and home address be publicly releasable? Will the public be able to search the hobby registry for owner names and addresses by registration number?” I thought these were easy questions requiring simple yes or no answers. But apparently they weren’t that simple so my questions were referred to the FAA. An FAA spokesman wrote back: “Initially the Registration system will not have a public search function. The FAA plans to incorporate a search by registration number in the future. Names and addresses are protected by the Privacy Act. The FAA will handle disclosure of such information in accordance with the December 15, 2015 Federal Register notice.”

Not considering this a clear answer, I replied, “my reading of the DOT policy is that if someone requests the name and address of a drone registrant the information will be released by the FAA. I don’t want to misstate what the FAA would do so I would appreciate your confirmation.”

The FAA responded that it would have the Chief Counsel’s Office again review my request. It seems the third time was a charm and I got an answer that may not make many hobbyists very happy.

Fortunately for hobby flyers, the Academy of Model Aeronautics announced to its members yesterday that it’s exploring all legal and political means to stop the registry. In the meanwhile, it’s asking its members to hold off registering. If you’re concerned about what data will be made publicly available, you might consider holding off registering to give the AMA a chance.

My question is who will enforce the violators? I read if you find a drone that has crashed, on your property, etc. you are supposed to contact local law enforcement. Since FAA is government, will they have the police contact a government agency to handle it & file charges?
When flying, can police or will they stop you to want to see registration? I can see Barney fife not knowing the rules & there be a lot of people being hassled. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: CuFlying
Larry, I think you are probably hitting on something that few have considered. I have learned over the years that Law Enforcement officers too often have no clue the actual verbiage of the laws they are enforcing. What they end up doing is enforcing a hybrid personalized version of what they think is the law and then let the courts sort it out. Your inconvenience and costs are your problem.
I've endured some harrowing moments with ignorant cops while breaking absolutely no laws.

I fully expect some cases of badged bozos doing things they are not legally allowed to do. Some will lose their Phantoms.

Since your personally identifiable information will now be publicly available, I also expect the number of hassles for drone owners to become a problem by helping those who believe drones are evil spy devices find and harass the owners a lot easier.

This database should also assist thieves in finding all the Phantoms they care to steal.

Time will tell, but I predict the burdens on hobbyists will far outweigh the benefits.
It would have been simpler and better for all to implement collision avoidance into the sophisticated drones and or Geo-fencing than calling for a useless registration.

The database is only searchable by the unique registration number. You have to have that in hand to search.

Or you can enter a few random numbers and you eventually get a hit, a drone registered to Joe Cloudhopper in Tyler, Texas. And you live in Rockland, Maine.
Doesn't seem to be a very workable fraud plan to me.

The way I see it, unless I crash my drone, and some local, evil drone hater finds it and either; 1) Contacts the FAA, gets my name and address and fire bombs my house (or whatever drone haters do to their victims), or 2) Drone hater has a drone, puts my number on it and flies it into the Great Wheel or the Space Needle to attempt to frame me.

I'm not too worried. Haven't lost a drone yet, and I use a Trackimo on whichever drone I'm flying so if I do lose it, should be able to quickly recover it before a gang o'nefarious Drone Registration Thieves get their scheming little hands on it.

There are quite a few drone owners advertising their services or with websites talking all about themselves and their photography or mapping or agri business using drones. I haven't heard of any being attacked by the Drone Haters?

Several drone videos on YouTube where drone pilots use their real names - haven't heard of them being targeted either.
Much ado about nuthin'.

Reactions: GregWV
The database is only searchable by the unique registration number. You have to have that in hand to search.

Or you can enter a few random numbers and you eventually get a hit, a drone registered to Joe Cloudhopper in Tyler, Texas. And you live in Rockland, Maine.
Doesn't seem to be a very workable fraud plan to me.

The way I see it, unless I crash my drone, and some local, evil drone hater finds it and either; 1) Contacts the FAA, gets my name and address and fire bombs my house (or whatever drone haters do to their victims), or 2) Drone hater has a drone, puts my number on it and flies it into the Great Wheel or the Space Needle to attempt to frame me.

I'm not too worried. Haven't lost a drone yet, and I use a Trackimo on whichever drone I'm flying so if I do lose it, should be able to quickly recover it before a gang o'nefarious Drone Registration Thieves get their scheming little hands on it.

There are quite a few drone owners advertising their services or with websites talking all about themselves and their photography or mapping or agri business using drones. I haven't heard of any being attacked by the Drone Haters?

Several drone videos on YouTube where drone pilots use their real names - haven't heard of them being targeted either.
Much ado about nuthin'.

I would also suspect that when you connect to the database website to conduct a search that the connecting IP address is recorded in an effort to prevent to many random searches or to prevent web crawling bots from scarfing all of the email addresses. My name, address and Amateur Radio license information has been in the very open FCC database since about 1992. No issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
Law Enforcement has already received, from the FAA, a card that tells what to do and what is required of Drone operators whether they are flying for recreational or commercial use. The card is very specific (I have seen it) even referring to the Part 333 Exemption and what is needed to fulfill its requirements.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl