FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
We see stupid criminals on the news everyday.

I'm not concerned because it will be used for a 'nefarious' reason. My concern is some people that don't want to register, will just use someone's number, just in case they're ever asked, no nefarious intent. Then one day a malfunction or just a dumb crash into a house/car/airplane and bam... my number is on their unit and the FAA is fining me.

I agree. We see stupid things in the news everyday.

I still think this whole registration number stealing thing is pretty far-fetched. Of all the things I worry about... I would rank someone stealing my registration number, attaching it to their quad, getting into an accident that sparks an investigation, being found at "fault" and then getting fined by the FAA - just below getting hit by lightning while sitting in my house.

I still think this whole registration number stealing thing is pretty far-fetched. Of all the things I worry about... I would rank someone stealing my registration number, attaching it to their quad, getting into an accident that sparks an investigation, being found at "fault" and then getting fined by the FAA - just below getting hit by lightning while sitting in my house.

Feel free to post your reg number online when you get it then. If you don't mind, a good .jpg copy of your reg certificate too. :cool: I won't tell anyone, just between you and me.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Then put it on the outside?

Yeah damitjim, what do have to hide? ;-/

Guys, if this database IS going to be public and searchable, is it really so hard to understand why this is so concerning to many of us????

Forget the person trying to mask his "nefarious" intentions by stealing your number...... What about the angry neighbor, beach goer, guy at the park who just doesn't like you. What about the local news reporter who fancies himself the next Bob Woodward?... What about the police?

There's a reason car license plates are not on a public website providing names and addresses to any stalker with a smartphone!

Feel free to post your reg number online when you get it then. If you don't mind, a good .jpg copy of your reg certificate too. :cool: I won't tell anyone, just between you and me.

Again, I'm talking about the N Number registration here... all of my info is public, as opposed to this new registration NOT being public... so wouldn't you thing the risk would be higher "stealing" an N Number than this new stuff??? And we are required to have the N Number on the outside of the unit, so wouldn't it be easier to see and write down??? I guess I'm confused...

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yeah damitjim, what do have to hide? ;-/

Guys, if this database IS going to be public and searchable, is it really so hard to understand why this is so concerning to many of us????

Forget the person trying to mask his "nefarious" intentions by stealing your number...... What about the angry neighbor, beach goer, guy at the park who just doesn't like you. What about the local news reporter who fancies himself the next Bob Woodward?... What about the police?

There's a reason car license plates are not on a public website providing names and addresses to any stalker with a smartphone!
Can you provide a citation, a source, a link that states the registration numbers will be public record? Or are we just feeding into GG's fear mongering post?

That's quite a stretch isn't it? I get it that you just want to be right with your argument. If you are so nervous that this stealing thing is going to be an epidemic... don't register and take your chances (not legal advice, please consult an attorney). But there's a big difference between me posting my registration number online... and some random punk stealing it off my Phantoms which are always under my watchful eye when outdoors.

so wouldn't you thing the risk would be higher "stealing" an N Number than this new stuff

No, that's tied to a serial number. This new registration number isn't. It applies to all your RC vehicles, so anyone can use your number to avoid being cited when asked for reg number and avoid paying

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Just a reminder: political statements, inflammatory statements, insults and other posts not relevant to the discussion will be deleted from this thread. So save yourself the time. You are entitled to express your opinion as long as it is on topic and respectful.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can you provide a citation, a source, a link that states the registration numbers will be public record? Or are we just feeding into GG's fear mongering post?

What does it matter? I have a feeling you wouldn't be concerned if it was public.

The AMA is in talks right now to incorporate using you AMA number for your UAV's. It will not be set up for the opening of the registration so you will have to go in and change it at a later date if this is approved.

Other items aside, what is the thinking behind this (aside from using it to try and get more membership)?

Either way, you are registered. Doing so with a 3rd party membership number only locks you into membership in that third party (as your membership number would no longer be active if you stop paying dues). It even makes less sense if you have to get your original FAA number and then go through a process to change that to your membership number at a later date.

Is there a tangible benefit to the end user to have a random membership number in place of a random FAA number?

I get it that you just want to be right with your argument.

Just pointing out how this is completely worthless and opens the registrant up to abuse. If it happens once, that's one more time than a drone has taken out an airplane, which is why this 'rush to register' came up right?

Reactions: aka1ceman

Exerpt from the FAA FAQ:

The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners

I don't know the answer. To my reading the first sentence contradicts the next two. First they claim they "generally" do not release personal information. Then they go on to imply a need to release that same personal information. The last sentence in particular strongly implies that you will be able to search for an owners information if you have the registration number.

What does it matter? I have a feeling you wouldn't be concerned if it was public.

It matters because there's a difference between spreading false information based on wild speculation and sticking to the facts. If registration numbers are going to be made public - then suddenly "damnitjim's" argument is a fairly good one.

If no-one has said that these numbers will be public, it is irresponsible to put that notion out there. In my opinion (of course).

Dear Members,
Is there anything in the law regarding Model Rockets?
If you want to get out underneath the governments thumb,
Fly Control Line or Gas and Electric powered Boats and Cars.
If everyone went in this direction the manufacturers of Drones and Planes would go crazy and the loss of business would be catastrophic. I know this won't happen but it would be fun to watch
the Man change his Tune.

Other items aside, what is the thinking behind this (aside from using it to try and get more membership)?

Either way, you are registered. Doing so with a 3rd party membership number only locks you into membership in that third party (as your membership number would no longer be active if you stop paying dues). It even makes less sense if you have to get your original FAA number and then go through a process to change that to your membership number at a later date.

Is there a tangible benefit to the end user to have a random membership number in place of a random FAA number?
Many model aircraft owners have put their AMA #s in big letters on their models (where full scale planes would have N-numbers or other country #s) and they look real nice. It would be nice for AMA members not to have to change or have duplicate #s on their models. Personally I have about 40 planes I would have to renumber.

Expert from the FAA FAQ:

I don't know the answer. To my reading the first sentence contradicts the next two. First they claim they "generally" do not release personal information. Then they go on to imply a need to release that same personal information. The last sentence in particular strongly implies that you will be able to search for an owners information if you have the registration number.
That would make sense, if you have the number, you can search a database to link it to a specific owner. However I doubt the list will be open to public perusal.
It would make no sense. I can't access a database of car registration numbers, drivers licenses, etc., and I don't see this information being any less protected.

Many model aircraft owners have put their AMA #s in big letters on their models (where full scale planes would have N-numbers or other country #s) and they look real nice. It would be nice for AMA members not to have to change or have duplicate #s on their models. Personally I have about 40 planes I would have to renumber.

That makes sense. So basically, they are asking the FAA to do so as a convenience/favor to their membership. I think it is a lot to ask, and not one the FAA will approve - but I see where they are coming from.

However I doubt the list will be open to public perusal.
It would make no sense.

I agree it would make no sense. However, that last sentence in the FAA FAQ - "allowing searches" - seems to indicate otherwise. They can't be referring to themselves or their contractors... they already have access to the data and can obviously search. This would not be the first license/registration database open to public access. Guess we will find out who they are going to "allow" those searches to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West