FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, it's pretty much useless without being able to verify ownership. If the FAA recovers a crashed RC vehicle, what is the proof you are the owner other than the number affixed to it, that's publicly available? None. What is the recourse to dispute ownership? Innocent until proven guilty. I have yet to see that discussed.
How will people know your number? I have not had time to read it all... can you point me to where it says they will be public?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Well wouldn't you think they'd use serial numbers??
I agree, it's pretty much useless without being able to verify ownership. If the FAA recovers a crashed RC vehicle, what is the proof you are the owner other than the number affixed to it, that's publicly available? None. What is the recourse to dispute ownership? Innocent until proven guilty. I have yet to see that discussed.

I agree... I like that the N Numbers have serial number info in it. Why can't it be done for this registration??? I would assume 90% of the quads registered will be store-bought, so they should have serial numbers somewhere. It's the "home built" ones that would be tough. I'm building one right now, so I guess that'll just fall into the pile that I can register, I guess... ugh....

Can a Canadian register their drone with the FAA so that they can fly recreationally on vacation in acceptable areas? I can't seem to find any mention of this either way on the FAA site.

What do we do when the registration term goes to 1 year, and the fees are $200? I remember when the registration on my car was $25/yr. It was $150 this last go. Does anyone really think this will end well?

It probably won't end well, but isn't it a bit too early to assume...? Will this make things safer? Who knows... Will it make the general public more accepting of drones? Who knows... And my car registration is up to $91 this year, from $30, to $60...

How will people know your number? I have not had time to read it all... can you point me to where it says they will be public?

Someone else did that earlier, didn't follow up on it. That said, most registration sites are public, but your name isn't required, just a number to put on an "unregistered" vehicle. Could even be made up if you have the format or read off someone's vehicle.

Can a Canadian register their drone with the FAA so that they can fly recreationally on vacation in acceptable areas? I can't seem to find any mention of this either way on the FAA site.
Q. Is there a citizenship requirement?

A. Only United States citizens can register their small UAS. The certificate serves as a certificate of ownership for non-citizens, not a registration certificate.

Unless I'm totally missing something (wouldn't be the first time.. today LOL) they have stated it is NOT a public database. This could have changed since the initial release though. Here's what I'm going on:

Privacy
Q. Who can see the data that I can enter?

A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

Q. Will my email address be used for other purposes? Will you make it available to other agencies or companies?

A. No.

Q. Why is the current Aircraft Registry fully searchable but this one is not?

A. The current Aircraft Registry is most frequently used to record the documents used to secure the financing of the aircraft and to aid in proof of ownership. Full searchability of that portion of the Aircraft Registry is needed to enable those purposes. It is much less likely that UAS in the .55 pound to 55 pounds category will require secured financing or need to affirmatively prove ownership. The Government, in accordance with the requirements of the Privacy Act, protects and generally does not release personal information. Given the nature of UAS, in particular, the risk that the communications link between the operator of the UAS is disrupted or lost, and the risk of losing the UAS is larger than it is for other types of aircraft. Allowing searches of the unique identifying number of UAS will enable the return of these aircraft to their owners

Reactions: Meta4
It probably won't end well, but isn't it a bit too early to assume...?

If the web site even works. With the thousands upon thousands that will probably try to register while it's "free", my bet is it crashes constantly, like healthcare.gov did for months. I still think the 'free period' is bait to get your information before they publish the final rules... which will probably have higher level of cost and/or requirements. Like pilot training or insurance as examples.

I have no idea... You may be right, being that they said it won't be like N Number registration. Good point... Guess we won't know for sure until next Monday. Someone should compute how many combinations there can be with N Numbers... lol...

And in my case, since I have an N Number for my P2, what do I do with the Syma X5c that I just bought 2 days ago? And what do I do with the quad I'm building now? Waiting on the motors from China before I can get it airborne... probably have to register those separately.

10x10x10x36x36=1,296,000 N numbers possible, so it will not be N numbers. Unless they allow alpha numerals for the first 3 spaces, then it would be 60,466,176 possible.

I have 2 MRs with N-numbers and 3 w/o. And I have about 40 model aircraft, so I will register. It may turn out I can use my AMA#, and that would be nice because it already is in all my flying models.

A. The FAA will be able to see the data that you enter. The FAA is using a contractor to maintain the website and database, and that contractor also will be able to see the data that you enter. Like the FAA, the contractor is required to comply with strict legal requirements to protect the confidentiality of the personal data you provide. Under certain circumstances, law enforcement officers might also be able to see the data.

And how soon do you think we'll hear on the news that someone hacked the database... lol...

Unless I'm totally missing something (wouldn't be the first time.. today LOL) they have stated it is NOT a public database.

I stand corrected... still doesn't stop someone from making up a number or 'borrowing" one since it's not tied to a serial number and a single registration applies to all RC aircraft owned by a user.

You guys are simply impossible LOL!

Reactions: Meta4
It may turn out I can use my AMA#, and that would be nice because it already is in all my flying models

Q. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?

A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.

10x10x10x36x36=1,296,000 N numbers possible, so it will not be N numbers. Unless they allow alpha numerals for the first 3 spaces, then it would be 60,466,176 possible.

I have 2 MRs with N-numbers and 3 w/o. And I have about 40 model aircraft, so I will register. It may turn out I can use my AMA#, and that would be nice because it already is in all my flying models.
If you have an N number you do not need to use the online system. If you have other non-N number UAV's for hobby use, those will need to be registered through the web site.

It's possible they will allow an either/or and I would love to use my AMA # instead of remaking my ID decals for all of my hobby aircraft. It's no big deal but I just had new decals made about 3 months ago for the whole fleet LOL.

Q. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?

A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.
The AMA is in talks right now to incorporate using you AMA number for your UAV's. It will not be set up for the opening of the registration so you will have to go in and change it at a later date if this is approved.

The AMA is in talks right now to incorporate using you AMA number for your UAV's. It will not be set up for the opening of the registration so you will have to go in and change it at a later date if this is approved.

The AMA was in talks to not include their members in this rule also. That didn't work out well for them, wouldn't think this talk would either.

The members over at the AMA site are as upset over this as we are, some even more so as they blame multi rotor aircraft for all of this (they're not wrong), and many are saying they will leave the AMA if something isn't done to rectify all of this.

This would imply SNs aren't even required. That would make it even easier for some to lift your number and use it as theirs when they conduct some nefarious act with their drone...

You can put the number in your battery compartment according to the link. So exactly how is someone going to "lift" your number (unless they randomly lift it)?

The AMA was in talks to not include their members in this rule also. That didn't work out well for them, wouldn't think this talk would either.
They are still working on it...

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 11.48.07 AM☀️.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West