FAA 333 Exemption letter...how many have one & how long did it take?

Reaction score
Just wondering how many here have applied for their FAA 333 Exemption and how long it took to get your letter?

As soon as I get my real pilots license, I should be good to go! :cool:

As soon as I get my real pilots license, I should be good to go! :cool:
I have a friend who applied about 6 weeks ago, and he does not have it yet-- He is a pilot and is in law enforcement.

Before applying myself, I read numerous "petition letters" and some were 30 pgs and some were only a few pages. Some were private pilots and most were not. I could tell the ones which were prepared by attorneys and those prepared by individuals. It did not seem to matter, since they were all approved, at least the ones I read & downloaded were. It seemed to me that the process and petition were much less complicated than many make it out to be.

What are the typical requirements for your use of the drone to get an exemption? Can small-time aerial photography qualify? As in real estate, landscape, etc? Do you need this to use Work Mode /skyscape? I see they have a certification process on there site.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From what I have seen, small-time aerial photogs qualify. WorkMode & Skyscape "certification" will not give someone the FAA 333 Exemption needed to fly commercially.

Fly for recreation only, and have a big "tip" jar handy!
Or have them fund your Kickstarter "P3P Drone Replacement Fund"!

I received my exemption in about 4 months exactly. I heard the FAA is turning them around in only a few months now though.

I received my exemption in about 4 months exactly. I heard the FAA is turning them around in only a few months now though.

Are you a pilot? What reasoning did you use on the application?

I am want to get one for real estate photography.

I am not a pilot. Real estate photography was one of my use cases.

Does the exemption allow you to simply fly the skies, as long as you follow those guidelines, or does that also allow you to actually charge for your services?

Hobbyists do not need an exemption. It's only needed if you want to use your Phantom for commercial purposes.

My job (theme park) purchased one for me to use to track the construction process from a birds-eye view of one of our new parks. However, our legal department has us grounded because it'll be considered commercial. I'll send them a link for the 333 exemption to hopefully get the ball rolling and allow me to legally fly over our area to track changes

Applied 6 days ago. I'll update in this post any changes in status.

Applied on June 6, it posted on July 12 for comments and nothing as of yet but do get email notifications of any changes. I hold a fixed wing private pilot ticket with IFR rating, licensed in 1976. From looking through some of the most recent exemptions granted it appears that about 3 months from posting is the norm. Posting date seems to take about 30 days from application acceptance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl