ESC status error

I too have the same issue, after removing the cover I see no visible damage to anything. I ordered new motors but I don't see anything wrong with the old one? No wires broken, no loose connections, just the same ESC error? All was fine until I put the prop guards on and 2 long screws in the short holes for one side? Is there any diagnostics to tell me if the motor is done? It looks fine but the drone won't start to see due to the ESC error?
If the screws are two long, they will bottom out on the windings. look at the windings on the bottom of the motor, if they are damaged, you will be able to see it. I had to replace on of mine, for the same reasons. Had to cut all the prop guard mounting screws off 3 mm

Well I sent my unit to dji 5 weeks ago and they are replacing the hole unit due to I believe an ESC error. Good to know they stand by their product.

If the screws are two long, they will bottom out on the windings. look at the windings on the bottom of the motor, if they are damaged, you will be able to see it. I had to replace on of mine, for the same reasons. Had to cut all the prop guard mounting screws off 3 mm

I just had the exact thing happen to me. I replaced the motor as bobmyers said, and it's working great.

Reactions: bobmyers
I have couple main boards available if you guys need them. And yes you will have to replace the whole thing as escs are part of the main board now in P3s, not like on P2s where it was so much easier just to replace the esc.
Hey hunch well i am in need of a logic board for the p3p cause the esc is fried due to consecutive motor spin while blocked in a tree, how much would a used one cost me from your source... I am trying to avoid the new ones cause they cost a bummer 400$... Thx mate hope you can help
Elie

From what I have read it's possible to fry the ESC by restricting a motor.

I wouldn't try the old motor

So if you now swap the new motor with the opposite motor and the problem stays on the same arm it might point to the ESC.

Oh boy!! Is that ever going to cost. The worst part is yet come. No boards in stock.
Yeah and look at the cable connection being very close to the skin...mine took a fall from about 25 feet and bent over the cable connections as well as breaking the camera gimbal...little over 800.00 to repair...Now I'm having firmware issues ESC error after updating..hit and miss whether it wants to start up or not.

I have to believe that a lot of this is firmware issues. I installed a new main board and it was working fine.... after the update now i'm suddenly having this ESC error and it's hit-and-miss when it appears...find it hard to believe its hardware because hardware doesn't fix itself..However a software glitch can.

I have to believe that a lot of this is firmware issues. I installed a new main board and it was working fine.... after the update now i'm suddenly having this ESC error and it's hit-and-miss when it appears...find it hard to believe its hardware because hardware doesn't fix itself..However a software glitch can.

Maybe if you had read what the CEO Frank Wang about the early release of the P3 you'd have some insight to the problems you are having. Have you seen the DJI boneyard?? Have a look. Doesn't that pile make you wonder if yours may be next. :eek: Think they have a problem or someones trying to warn us.
customer_service-jpg.35254

Last edited:
Reactions: damirkotoric
Maybe if you had read what the CEO Frank Wang about the early release of the P3 you'd have some insight to the problems you are having. Have you seen the DJI boneyard?? Have a look. Doesn't that pile make you wonder if yours may be next. :eek: Think they have a problem or someones trying to warn us.
customer_service-jpg.35254
It that is DJI's bone pile, considering that it is reported that they sold over 1 million P3's this is a very small quantity of shells and who knows how many of these were crashed by pilot error. Pictures have to have some validity to the issues to be relevant. No I don't work for DJI-- and don't even agree with all their business decisions.

Thank you guys SO much! I was having the exact same problem. All you need to do is get some fine grain sand paper, and sand down the film covering the copper wire. A lot of people are getting new boards over this problem, please if you're getting a new board over this, this. It really works.

I have one good question,under the main board there is a SD memory card,I've managed to remove it and stuck it in my PC,it shows dng files and one Phantom system file,I tried to format that SD card,it did but when I re opened it everything was still there,its file protected. I know Dji uses that card for warranty reference,it could be that in the system file there could something that detected either a crash or malfunction in the board and restricting it to fly showing ESC error,so I'm going to stick a new SD card in there then re install the update from SD card that's in the camera gymbal and see what it does.I'm very curious why its file protected. Will see I'll give the update on sat.Any thoughts?

I have one good question,under the main board there is a SD memory card,I've managed to remove it and stuck it in my PC,it shows dng files and one Phantom system file,I tried to format that SD card,it did but when I re opened it everything was still there,its file protected. I know Dji uses that card for warranty reference,it could be that in the system file there could something that detected either a crash or malfunction in the board and restricting it to fly showing ESC error,so I'm going to stick a new SD card in there then re install the update from SD card that's in the camera gymbal and see what it does.I'm very curious why its file protected. Will see I'll give the update on sat.Any thoughts?
What did you find out with the new card

If you're having "ESC status error", then there are three possible causes:
- Motor damaged or motor connection error
- ESC end transistors (MOSFETs) fried or their connection error
- ESC controller fried or its connection error

Now, how to check which exact problem do you have:
- Make sure that no chip looks damaged or smells like burned plastic
- Check if one of the ICs doesn't get hotter than the others
- Download flight logs, convert them to TXT format and look within for a more specific error message

For example, in my logs I found:
Code:
2.957 : 3013 :      60 ESC0 link up
2.968 : 3020 :      61 ESC1 link up
2.992 : 3034 :      62 ESC2 link up
3.003 : 3041 :      62 ESC3 link up
3.003 : 3041 :      62 esc alive info = 0xf
3.770 : 3501 :     101 [FDI AHRS[1]]:ahrs_init begin
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:bias fdi turn on
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:init fdi turn on
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:wait for sensor check
3.962 : 3616 :     110 ESC0 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
3.962 : 3616 :     110 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
3.962 : 3616 :     110 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
3.970 : 3621 :     111 ESC1 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
3.970 : 3621 :     111 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
3.970 : 3621 :     111 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
4.172 : 3742 :     121 ESC2 get version fail!
4.180 : 3747 :     121 ESC3 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
4.180 : 3747 :     121 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
4.180 : 3747 :     121 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
Which makes it clear that there are issues with the ESC2 controller.
(Also, for my specific case - I was able to start the motors if I kept a small constant pressure on the board while booting the drone - which means that the chips are fine and I have a connection issue).

Reactions: cdelgado14

What did you end up reflowing to get your bird back to life? I'm sitting with the same issue. Motor 2 wont fire, but if I put pressure on board it will... Post crash!

As of now, I only identified the place where ESC2 is (there are markings M1..M4 on the board which correspond to ESC0..ESC3). I wasn't able to work further on the fix. I'm planning to do it before spring, but I doubt it will be any time soon.

EDIT:
Spring has come. I first tried melting and re-soldering all the connections on the square "ESC2000" microcontroller chip and the long "DRV8301" motor driver chip, no change.

But at the same time I made macro photos of the board, and when looking at them later - I've noticed two of flight controller connections (where the FC board is soldered to ESC board) were teared (there was a thin line visible on the solder).

Re-soldering the flight controller connections fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Hi how to read a dat file like your read it? I have to esc eror on my phantom, and want yo know what is the problem,

Now, how to check which exact problem do you have:
- Make sure that no chip looks damaged or smells like burned plastic
- Check if one of the ICs doesn't get hotter than the others
- Download flight logs, convert them to TXT format and look within for a more specific error message

For example, in my logs I found:
Code:
2.957 : 3013 :      60 ESC0 link up
2.968 : 3020 :      61 ESC1 link up
2.992 : 3034 :      62 ESC2 link up
3.003 : 3041 :      62 ESC3 link up
3.003 : 3041 :      62 esc alive info = 0xf
3.770 : 3501 :     101 [FDI AHRS[1]]:ahrs_init begin
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:bias fdi turn on
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:init fdi turn on
3.785 : 3510 :     102 [FDI AHRS[1]]:wait for sensor check
3.962 : 3616 :     110 ESC0 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
3.962 : 3616 :     110 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
3.962 : 3616 :     110 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
3.970 : 3621 :     111 ESC1 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
3.970 : 3621 :     111 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
3.970 : 3621 :     111 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
4.172 : 3742 :     121 ESC2 get version fail!
4.180 : 3747 :     121 ESC3 version: Protocol = [V1.0] Hardware = "WM320_FOC_V4"
4.180 : 3747 :     121 Loader   = [V00.00.01.01]
4.180 : 3747 :     121 Firmware = [V01.10.00.00]
Which makes it clear that there are issues with the ESC2 controller.
(Also, for my specific case - I was able to start the motors if I kept a small constant pressure on the board while booting the drone - which means that the chips are fine and I have a connection issue).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj