Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

ESC error

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by CapR, Jan 19, 2016.

1. CapR

I've been getting an ESC error from the DJI Go app while trying to start my motors. I've fixed an ESC error before by replacing a motor because I knew I damaged a motor before hand. This new ESC error is from a 50 foot crash into 2 inches of snow as a result of probable battery failure. The reason I'm pretty sure it was battery failure was because the video recording stopped before the craft lost altitude. I think the snow might have shorted something out.

How can I isolate the issue so know what to fix? Is there a way to detect if a certain motor or if the motherboard is the cause? I opened the shell and I didn't notice any obvious damage(to my novice eyes) but I did notice the large black cable leading underneath the motherboard had a break in its insulation rubber. The craft boots up just fine however.

I've read comments stating if small pieces of debris or metal are touching the inside of a motor, it can cause an ESC error. I've inspected the motors and can't find and debris inside or anything impeding the rotation of the motors. What was interesting though was after I tried recalibrated the compass it resulted in multiple ESC error messages. This leads me to believe there is debris inside touching the motors, but I can't see it. I've also recalibrated the IMU but no change.

If you have any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank you in advance.

#1 CapR, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Silverwingflinx

Yes I had this problem did update flew it landed then esc error code had to send it back to Dji they fixed it..so I bought another p3 flew that one until the other one came back then sold it..I guess that's what u do when u like to fly....hope you get it fixed...

3. CapR

LOL, I was considering buying a new one as well:) I see the Advanced is $799 now, which is about $150 cheaper from when I bought my current one in September last year.

Thx

4. Silverwingflinx

I have read the new p3 flies 2 minutes longer let me know if you like the newer p3.lol was going to buy one to and see which one is better may be I still might just do it ....fly safe

5. mpshev

What was the issue? I am sending mine back for esc error issue. Are they fixing it or sending you a new one?

6. alokbhargava

There could be two reasons for ESC error: defective/ jammed motor or defective ESC electronics. Its difficult to isolate the issue unless you first isolate all the motors and then connect them one by one.