Electric Fence Fly Away

Reaction score
Hello all, yesterday I took my Phantom Vision Plus 2 out to a friends farm to take some areal photos for them. This was my 7th flight. I did the calibration before flight and had 10 GPS locks before flight. We launched it about 10 ft away from his cattle fence and I stood there the whole time for the 15 minute flight. Wind was 5mph and sky's were clear. I got the video and photos at 200 ft and upon flying back I stopped the phantom about 60 ft up above me to hover and show my friend that it could just stay in one spot. Then all of a sudden it took off full speed at a 45 degree angle down without me controlling it! I panicked and tried to throttle up and it banked slightly and crashed in a bean field. I stopped shut down the aircraft and stopped the video. We were both stumped. :shock: I was preparing for the worst when I found it and to my surprise, only the landing gear was bent. I checked the firmware and it was up to date. Then I realized that we were standing right next to the cattle electric fence. My first question is do you think this could have been an interference issue with the controller and aircraft right next to the fence? The second question is my crash video was corrupt (I did stop the video after the crash on my app). There is 335 mb on the file. Does anyone recommend any video repair software? I am scared to death about flying it again as this thing was like a missile. Any responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It is possible that the fence had **some** effect on the bird dependent upon voltage, orientation of antennae to it, etc. Still, as 4wd said, it is unlikely. Have you recalibrated everything since doing firmware updates? Including IMU advanced calibration and, of course, antenna dance? Usually, after any untoward event, it's a good idea to thoroughly inspect the unit physically and logically, meaning check all firmware releases for updates (on everything), calibrate R/C using the RC Assistant, calibrate the bird using the Phantom 2 Assistant, and check for upgrades to anything else (Lightbridge, AVL, Futaba or other if used, and so on). Make sure every single item in use that can be charged is fully charged and where nonchargeable, replace with fresh batteries. Then do some controlled tests (I have never done this, but some recommend tying the bird to a post to ease their mind about flyaway) until you again feel comfortable with the unit. I use a tracking unit called Marco Polo for recovery should I "lose" the aircraft. I don't personally believe the fly away occurs without some sort of operator error or equipment failure but anything's possible! Hope this helps a bit, as always, YMMV! :mrgreen:

Yours sounds like the classic Phantom flyaway. I doubt that the fence had anything to do with it.

I was bringing it back to land it and I was showing my friend the speed. I stopped it right above us and it hovered for about 10 seconds and then it took off. I did not see that thread, I will take a look at it.

GustavL said:
Maybe, because it was directly overhead, you lost control signal and RTH was activated.
Did you check that Home Point was recorded when you took off?
But, he said it took off at a 45 degree angle. If rth is activated, doesn't it rise 60 feet straight up first?

I got the video and photos at 200 ft and upon flying back I stopped the phantom about 60 ft up above me to hover and show my friend that it could just stay in one spot

But, he said it took off at a 45 degree angle. If rth is activated, doesn't it rise 60 feet straight up first?

He was already 60' up, so it wouldn't rise another 60'.

Yes sir. Home point was recorded prior to flight. What shocked me the most was that it took off at "full speed" at a 45 degree angle downwards like a missile. I did all the calibrations and checked for new firmware (there was none). I am a beginner with these and was really going to get into this as I might be retiring soon. So laugh as you must, but today it is nice and I am going out back to "tie" the bird down and fly it and see. If all is good I will fly at a few different areas. My ultimate goal is to go back to the exact same spot by the fence to see if the "interference" happens again. If it happens again, then there is some kind of interference in the field.

75% of my flying is around Electric fences never had any problem even with FPV witch is the same frequency your bird flys on . Straight above you can lose signal .
Where you coming down when it dropped if so might have been VRS .

No I was not descending. It was hovering for 10 seconds. Then lost signal. I have 300mb on the crash video, but it is corrupt. Does anyone know of software that will repair this? I don't mind paying for it and if fixed, I can show the video

FireCam said:
No I was not descending. It was hovering for 10 seconds. Then lost signal. I have 300mb on the crash video, but it is corrupt. Does anyone know of software that will repair this? I don't mind paying for it and if fixed, I can show the video
Just a quick search I'm sure their is more out their
http://live555.com/drones/DJI-Phantom-2-Vision+-video-fix/

Gentlemen. Thanks for all of the advise. I tethered the bird today and the 20 minute flight was flawless. I WAS able to get the crash video. The link is below. It's funny how you "thought" things happened. :D I thought I had it hovering in one spot for 10-20 seconds. I actually lost controls quickly. In the video I rotated the bird 180 degrees to bring her back home. You can see the farmer and I at the lower left corner near the electric fence. I pushed the throttle just to a spot in front of us, Then pulled back to stop it as I wanted to show him it can stay in one place. From there ( I think the 17 second mark in the video) immediately it went downhill and I had no control. Here's the crash video.
http://youtu.be/W4ygpgdK1Vk

definitely a classic flyaway scenario with the banking/45degree/full speed . same thing happened to me once with my f450
the tough part about when they happen is that it's almost impossible to tell just what went wrong when you rule out operator error.
but glad you were able to recover yours!

Thanks! Yeah, the only thing I was scared of was what if it slammed into a car, house or something else! :shock: I'm just glad I helped the farmer cut his beans!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl