Electric Fence Fly Away

I can't offer any suggestion as to why it happened, but if it happens again, take it out of GPS mode and you will probably be able to regain control.

GustavL said:
Did you check that Home Point was recorded when you took off?
How do you do that?

syotr said:
Yours sounds like the classic Phantom flyaway. I doubt that the fence had anything to do with it.

And what is a "classic flyaway"? To me this is someone refusing to get GPS lock before taking off, and losing their bird due to lack of experience, impatience, etc.

Fly-away is a verb not a noun so there can't be a 'classic'. :lol:

Had 10 GPS satellites and home was recorded prior to flight. Phantoms are "classic" for fly aways as I have read everywhere and with DJI not admitting there is still a problem is bad customer service. It happened again a few days ago, but I had it tethered. This bird is for sale. I'm buying a Walkera Scout X4.

Even if he had no GPS lock the bird would keep itself level with the accelerometer/gyro (IMU).

Were you in NAZA mode or Phantom mode? Asking only to eliminate the possibility that you accidentally flicked into manual mode, or if you had a faulty S1 switch it could also happen. But only in NAZA mode and only if you did not program your S1 switch and left it with the default function of "manual" mode at the bottom position.

The only other thing I would suspect is a faulty motor/ESC. Do all of your propellers stop at the same time when you power down?

The S1 switch was up after I calibrated. However after reading and viewing some more videos, I DO remember that I calibrated ON the back of my metal tailgate of my truck and the calibration was not working. I thought I finally got it to calibrate but maybe I didn't. Would a bad calibration cause this?

FireCam said:
The S1 switch was up after I calibrated. However after reading and viewing some more videos, I DO remember that I calibrated ON the back of my metal tailgate of my truck and the calibration was not working. I thought I finally got it to calibrate but maybe I didn't. Would a bad calibration cause this?

I'd have to say no, a compass issue would manifest right from the start, but you stated that the bird flew fine for a good 15mins.

It's best to keep the Phantom away from metal (ie tailgate).

Maybe, because it was directly overhead, you lost control signal and RTH was activated.
Did you check that Home Point was recorded when you took off?

I have seen this on my P3. The antennas are directional and they have nulls, or places with very little signal. It can be that the antennas, if arranged from max signal at the horizon, will have no signal directly above. Before I learned this, I had my phantom above me and it lost radio, but it just did RTH and landed, as opposed to flying away anywhere.

firecam, I STRONGLY suggest you reconsider doing all those 'calibrations.'

If it is broke or crashes or you go 100+ miles away, by all means calibrate. If not, just fly and enjoy it. Every time you do a compass calibration you take a chance of something like what happened to you happening.

I calibrated my compass in december 2014 when it first arrived new from China. Not since. and no problems.

dont fix it if it ain't broke.

only possible idea I have for your issue is if you calibrated the compass at that same 10' from the electric fence. If so, you may have caused your problem yourself with that. the magnetic field from the fence will be a distance AT LEAST the height of the wire from the ground and some stray will be beyond that. the compass certainly will be affected by the electric fence.

edit: did not see your post that you compass calibrated or tried on tailgate of truck. as others said, that is bad. do it WAY away from everything if you ever HAVE to do it again. Since this may be your issue, I would calibrate the compass in a big empty field ONE MORE TIME and then not touch it again unless something happens to make it required. agree I do not see why it flew ok before this but... during flying you were actively moving it around, lots of stuff going on. when you finally let it still still with no inputs, that may be when the faulty compass data took over? who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kirk2579

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers