Dynamic home point using Dual GPS locator

Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone has experience with the Dual Universal GPS receiver. For years I have used a marine chart app which runs on my iPad Air 2. I use this receiver because my iPad does not have cell. Can this device be used by the Pilot app so an iPad without cell can be used to establish a new dynamic home point with the controller.
This may require a FW update but this capability would save pilots from having to purchase a cell contract just to fly a drone.

Comments please.

I can't say for sure, so wait for a definitive answer. I did hear however that iOS 8.3 broke the GPS data transfer to third party apps. Apparently it's a known but as yet not corrected bug. I am also watching this just in case I ever feel I need GPS.

I can't say for sure, so wait for a definitive answer. I did hear however that iOS 8.3 broke the GPS data transfer to third party apps. Apparently it's a known but as yet not corrected bug. I am also watching this just in case I ever feel I need GPS.
Great thanks, I am also researching this a little more.

Oso, I checked the marine app and it still works fine with the latest iOS update

Oso, I checked the marine app and it still works fine with the latest iOS update
Great. That means you must have 8.4 or later. It was supposed to be fixed with 8.4 on June 9th, but I hadn't heard yet that it was confirmed. Thanks for confirming.

Think I found the issue. From Dual site

There is a bug in iOS 8.3 which blocks position information coming from Bluetooth GPS devices. The symptom is that your GPS looks like it is working, but your apps do not show your location. (Not all apps are affected, but most are.) The problem affects the XGPS150, XGPS160 and XGPS170 as well as Bluetooth GPS devices from other manufacturers. We have contacted Apple it, and they are aware of the issue. We do not have an ETA from them for a fix, but they are treating it as a priority. In the meantime, some (but not all) users are getting around the bug by turning off Location Services, rebooting the iOS device, and turning Location Services back on.

NOTE for WingX users: you can get around the bug by going to Settings->Privacy->Location Services and selecting “Never” next to WingX Pro7.

- See more at: http://gps.dualav.com/faq/xgps150-150a-150e/#sthash.aIZ6cO8A.dpuf

Think I found the issue. From Dual site

There is a bug in iOS 8.3 which blocks position information coming from Bluetooth GPS devices. The symptom is that your GPS looks like it is working, but your apps do not show your location. (Not all apps are affected, but most are.) The problem affects the XGPS150, XGPS160 and XGPS170 as well as Bluetooth GPS devices from other manufacturers. We have contacted Apple it, and they are aware of the issue. We do not have an ETA from them for a fix, but they are treating it as a priority. In the meantime, some (but not all) users are getting around the bug by turning off Location Services, rebooting the iOS device, and turning Location Services back on.

NOTE for WingX users: you can get around the bug by going to Settings->Privacy->Location Services and selecting “Never” next to WingX Pro7.

- See more at: http://gps.dualav.com/faq/xgps150-150a-150e/#sthash.aIZ6cO8A.dpuf
Yes, that's the 8.3 issue I was referring to. The good thing is you confirmed its now fixed in 8.4 and later. Good news.

Yes, that's the 8.3 issue I was referring to. The good thing is you confirmed its now fixed in 8.4 and later. Good news.

Sorry to mislead you, I tried the app again, I noticed that my ship symbol was wrong so further examination lead to the discovery that the app is not working properly. I have not tried the work around proposed by Dual.

Sorry for any inconvenience I caused.

Sorry to mislead you, I tried the app again, I noticed that my ship symbol was wrong so further examination lead to the discovery that the app is not working properly. I have not tried the work around proposed by Dual.

Sorry for any inconvenience I caused.

UPDATE
Loaded IOS 8.4 today and GPS issue solved. My marine nav app works fine now. The PILOT apps I've checked don't seem to acces the GPS but I'm sure with proper coding it would work fine. If you are beta testing an app pls forward this info.

Thank you

UPDATE
Loaded IOS 8.4 today and GPS issue solved. My marine nav app works fine now. The PILOT apps I've checked don't seem to acces the GPS but I'm sure with proper coding it would work fine. If you are beta testing an app pls forward this info.

Thank you
Great news that 8.4 did indeed fix this as expected. Thanks for the update.

I have the dual gps and works with the phantom, so far no interference. Started up the motors and worked, as yet have not had a flight, but so far so good.

Reactions: Oso
Sorry to be ignorant on this but can you explain to me what to download to my ipad mini to use the dynamic home point?
You need a GPS enabled tablet. If your Mini is not a cellular version it doesn't have GPS. You can't use the dynamic home point unless you get GPS from another source. Some tether to their phones to get map data, etc. In this thread we are chatting about an add on GPS device to connect via Bluetooth to a wifi only tablet to get GPS for the dynamic homepoint.

Make sense?

Last edited:
The dual blutooth gives gps and will enable dynamic home points.

Tried my dual gps with Google maps and without the dual gps going. When I was using the dual gps, my postion on google maps was better.

Reactions: Oso
i tried the dual gps app and it didn't work...

well either yours is faulty or you did not install the dual gps app.
This must be installed for the dual gps to work. If you got the 150A, then you must have that model app installed. If you got the 170A, then that app needs to be installed. Either was the app has to be installed for the dual gps to work, mine works fine. Turns a solid green when it's got a gps lock.

In the app shows how many satellites it's picked up. You may have Installed the wrong app version for the model you got.

well either yours is faulty or you did not install the dual gps app.
This must be installed for the dual gps to work. If you got the 150A, then you must have that model app installed. If you got the 170A, then that app needs to be installed. Either was the app has to be installed for the dual gps to work, mine works fine. Turns a solid green when it's got a gps lock.

In the app shows how many satellites it's picked up. You may have Installed the wrong app version for the model you got.
I think he just tried the app without actually having the Dual unit itself.

Reactions: JoBe
Reactions: denodan

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl