Dynamic home point using Dual GPS locator

Hi gang. Posted this on another thread but haven't gotten any answers yet-
Got the Dual xGPS150A yesterday. Have the GPS Status App for the 150a, and the unit is working - , Bluetooth is on and connected, I get the GPS position and satellite count,
I then put on DJI Go on my iPad Mini3, IOS 8.4.1, and it doesn't seem to connect as my maps are not updating on either DJI Go or the Apple Maps.

Any thoughts?
I talked to Tech Support at Dual - he said "Well, the xGPS150a is working - as you see by the Status app, your iPad is working, so it must be the software (DJI Go or Apple Maps) where the issue is." They are not talking to each other.

He suggested removing DJI Go and reinstalling. If I do this, will I loose my flight logs?

Hi gang. Posted this on another thread but haven't gotten any answers yet-
Got the Dual xGPS150A yesterday. Have the GPS Status App for the 150a, and the unit is working - , Bluetooth is on and connected, I get the GPS position and satellite count,
I then put on DJI Go on my iPad Mini3, IOS 8.4.1, and it doesn't seem to connect as my maps are not updating on either DJI Go or the Apple Maps.

Any thoughts?
I talked to Tech Support at Dual - he said "Well, the xGPS150a is working - as you see by the Status app, your iPad is working, so it must be the software (DJI Go or Apple Maps) where the issue is." They are not talking to each other.

He suggested removing DJI Go and reinstalling. If I do this, will I loose my flight logs?
Does your iPad have internet access to download maps in the field?

No- that's why I got the Dual. It's the Wi-Fi only version.
When with a friend and his mobile hotspot I can update. Or run into a Starbucks ro somewhere with WiFi. Usually I know about where I will be and cache the maps.
But I want to be able to use all the IOC features - like follow me on the iPad.

But the issue here is - Why isn't the xGPS 150A talking to my iPad?
I know IOS 8.4.1 ought to work with it. I have the Status app running and the unit is working.
It ought to update my maps.
Any Pilots out there that use this setup - with an iPad?

I do have this correct right- that my Maps ought to update through the Bluetooth GPS device?
Or is it that I'll just get an accurate Home point & be able to use follow me?
I've been assuming that my maps ought to work just as if I had the WiFi connection - but do I have that wrong?

The maps have to be loaded when you have wifi. Then you can go out and use the GPS to find your location on the map. The map is not on your iPad.

OOOOOhhhhhhh! Then I did have an erroneous assumption. I thought by using the XGPS150A that I would still get fully functioning updating maps.
Now it makes sense so I can use Follow me and go anywhere & my GPS location will be accurate - even if the map show as blank.
Correct?

Is this what Pilots have to do who use these - Pre load the maps, or have software with maps already loaded for whatever trip they are on?

To get it to work in the dji app you must preload the maps. That is correct. That is what sucks. If you are miles away from wifi and you find a place to fly and don't have the map uploaded you will have a black screen.

No- that's why I got the Dual. It's the Wi-Fi only version.
When with a friend and his mobile hotspot I can update. Or run into a Starbucks ro somewhere with WiFi. Usually I know about where I will be and cache the maps.
But I want to be able to use all the IOC features - like follow me on the iPad.

But the issue here is - Why isn't the xGPS 150A talking to my iPad?
I know IOS 8.4.1 ought to work with it. I have the Status app running and the unit is working.
It ought to update my maps.
Any Pilots out there that use this setup - with an iPad?

Take a look at this high level overview of different options.

Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO | Page 21 | DJI Phantom Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
No I hadn't seen this. Appreciate it.
Bottom line is though, we have to Cache our Maps fora given area before leaving home - or have access to WiFi to acquire them.
That's OK though - no that I understand the process. I was expepecting to have my maps updating on the fly with the Blutooth GPS.
Tested it a little while ago and all works as it should. Home point can be updated to my position, Follow me works as it should.All is cool.

appreciate your input!!

Reactions: Oso

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik