Unable to update home point to RC

Reaction score
Hi,
I am using an iPad Air w GPS w DJI Go app to fly P4pro:V2
When trying to reset the home point to the RC I get an error saying the GPS is to weak to set the point. I tried at various locations. My Navionics Marine app, Google Maps,and Maps can all find my current position. I want to fly from a moving boat, but worried if the RTH stays fixed on Original take off home point it will hover over the wrong place. Help

Hi,
When trying to reset the home point to the RC I get an error saying the GPS is to weak to set the point. I tried at various locations. My Navionics Marine app, Google Maps,and Maps can all find my current position. I want to fly from a moving boat, but worried if the RTH stays fixed on Original take off home point it will hover over the wrong place. Help
Are you sure you have a GPS enabled iPad? What you're describing sounds like what we routinely hear from people with a WiFi only iPad.

To have actual GPS capability, an iPad needs to be the cellular version though a data plan is not required.

Reactions: JoBe
Are you sure you have a GPS enabled iPad? What you're describing sounds like what we routinely hear from people with a WiFi only iPad.

To have actual GPS capability, an iPad needs to be the cellular version though a data plan is not required.

Yes, I use it with the Navionics navigation app to cross the Gulfstream to the Bahamas. There is no WIFI out there. That’s why I don’t understand the error message I get. Thanks for the reply.

upload_2018-9-23_12-19-8.png

Here is the iPad location flying in an airplane going 309 mph.
iPad GPS work well except in DJI Go app ?

That doesn't convince me personally. We have just seen far too many people post here who also thought, sometimes adamantly, that they had GPS. Of course, it's you who needs to be convinced. What I think doesn't matter much really, but I do sincerely hope you are correct. :)

The simple way to know for sure and be safe is to Google the model number shown on the back of the iPad. For me, that would be the least I would do if I were planning to launch from a boat. Well, plus also search here for the many posts about special considerations with launching from a boat.

iPad Air
A1474 (Wi-Fi only - No GPS)
A1475 (Wi-Fi + cellular version + GPS)

iPad Air 2
A1566 (Wi-Fi only - No GPS)
A1567 (Wi-Fi + cellular + GPS)

Last edited:
That doesn't convince me personally. We have just seen far too many people post here who also thought, sometimes adamantly, that they had GPS. Of course, it's you who need to be convinced. What I think doesn't matter much really, but I do sincerely hope you are correct. :)

The simple way to know for sure and be safe is to Google the model number shown on the back of the iPad. For me, that would be the least I would do if I were planning to launch from a boat. Well, plus also search here for the many threads about special considerations with launching from a boat.

iPad Air
A1474 (Wi-Fi only - No GPS)
A1475 (Wi-Fi + cellular version + GPS)

iPad Air 2
A1566 (Wi-Fi only - No GPS)
A1567 (Wi-Fi + cellular + GPS)

Hi Oso,
I forgot to post that I received this iPad as a gift. The first one didn’t have a GPS. I realized I could not use my navigation software so I returned it and bought the GPS version. I checked the model number. It is the IPad Air 2: A1567. I have read some of the other posts about RTH while in a moving boat. Nobody seems to have the problem I am having. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Oso
Hi,
i was just telling some else that this happens to me with follow me because i have a mini 2 with no cellular so no gps. follow me is not that good but i would like to move my homepoint to my new spot every now and then and cant with no gps. thats the only thing i miss with no gps in my ipad. good luck man - be careful on a boat.

Two things
1. Weak GPS is DJI's confused way of saying no GPS.
Some obvious things to check are:
Is the iPad somewhere with a clear view of the sky?
Is the GPS in the iPad enabled?

2. If you are flying reasonable close to your own boat, I find that resetting the home pint to the current location of the Phantom is just as good as resetting to the controller's location.
This works even without GPS in the tablet.
All that really matters is that the Phantom doesn't think that it's home point is a couple of miles back where you launched.

To illustrate this:
i-hXNtqzd-L.jpg

I'm on the yellow boat, 4 miles offshore. I launched the drone a mile back.
If I update the home point now to the controller's location, that point is out of date a few seconds later.
Because I don't actually want the drone to try to land where I reset home, resetting to the current location of the Phantom is just as good.
It keeps the Phantom from disappearing astern when it calculates that it's battery level is just enough to fly back to the launch point.
Resetting to either the aircraft's or controller's location is just as good.

Two things
1. Weak GPS is DJI's confused way of saying no GPS.
Some obvious things to check are:
Is the iPad somewhere with a clear view of the sky?
Is the GPS in the iPad enabled?

2. If you are flying reasonable close to your own boat, I find that resetting the home pint to the current location of the Phantom is just as good as resetting to the controller's location.
This works even without GPS in the tablet.
All that really matters is that the Phantom doesn't think that it's home point is a couple of miles back where you launched.

To illustrate this:
i-hXNtqzd-L.jpg

I'm on the yellow boat, 4 miles offshore. I launched the drone a mile back.
If I update the home point now to the controller's location, that point is out of date a few seconds later.
Because I don't actually want the drone to try to land where I reset home, resetting to the current location of the Phantom is just as good.
It keeps the Phantom from disappearing astern when it calculates that it's battery level is just enough to fly back to the launch point.
Resetting to either the aircraft's or controller's location is just as good.

Hi Meta4
The GPS is in a clear sky area. I tried various locations.
The GPS is enabled. For the DJI Go app I have it set to work when using the app only. It all ways gives me a location in my Navionics Nav. app, Googles Maps,and Maps.

It all ways finds the Phantom home point w about 11-12 Satellites before flying.

I guess I’ll use you idea of resetting the Phantom position regularly and set the RTH to hover.

Thanks for the reply.

The GPS is enabled. For the DJI Go app I have it set to work when using the app only. It all ways gives me a location in my Navionics Nav. app, Googles Maps,and Maps.
I've seen a few Apple users with similar problems.
I don't use Apple devices so I'm not sure of a solution.
It all ways finds the Phantom home point w about 11-12 Satellites before flying.
That doesn't prove that the iPad has GPS enabled because the iPad doesn't record the homepoint - the Phantom does.
If the 11-12 sats is what's showing in the DJI Go app, that's also coming from the Phantom's GPS receiver.

I've seen a few Apple users with similar problems.
I don't use Apple devices so I'm not sure of a solution.

That doesn't prove that the iPad has GPS enabled because the iPad doesn't record the homepoint - the Phantom does.
If the 11-12 sats is what's showing in the DJI Go app, that's also coming from the Phantom's GPS receiver.

All the programs that use the GPS are controlled in “Location Services. They are all working well except the DJI Go app. If the Phantom is recording the RTH position I guess I’ll just do that every few minutes.

All the programs that use the GPS are controlled in “Location Services. They are all working well except the DJI Go app. If the Phantom is recording the RTH position I guess I’ll just do that every few minutes.
I'm not sure about Apple but in Android, there are different settings that can be switched on in Location Services.
It's possible to have GPS off to save battery and get approximate location details from wifi

I'm not sure about Apple but in Android, there are different settings that can be switched on in Location Services.
It's possible to have GPS off to save battery and get approximate location details from wifi

I going to ask DJI about this problem.
Thanks for the reply.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl