Dual Battery Mod

Hey Digdat0 had second test flight with P3P battery mod using those nano tech 1800s...flew 23k and returned into slight
headwind..still had some more in the tank, flight time 23.20 mins.
thats awesome man, thanks for the update. i flew a new multistar 4.0 lipo today, got 29mins with it, wasnt bad at all.

Anyone wanna collaborate on creating an FAQ on battery modification for the phantom 3? I started one, would love to have others help and tell me what I'm missing, or even just edit themselves! I've opened the google doc for editting, it can be found here. i stole alot of the pics from you guys here, i'll credit ya if you can tell me if its yours! i cant remember, but will give credit!

Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ

edit: look at the PDF attached, or google doc.
Hi Digdat0 good to see some of my pics! Good idea putting those pics together.there are some great ideas! And good mods.we have come along way since the p3 first daybue!!

Reactions: Digdat0
Hi Digdat0 good to see some of my pics! Good idea putting those pics together.there are some great ideas! And good mods.we have come along way since the p3 first daybue!!
hope ya don't mind, some good pics heh I'll add ya in credits :) it really is amazing, and lots of fun too!!

What a great job!!!! Which one is best flight time?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
LeeSk!! Been a long time since we've seen ya. Come more often! I think the 5.2 multistar is still the best, the multistar 6600 is giving good times as well. I wonder if there are crazy combos which could produce good results.

Reactions: Lee SK
14771516218751113826625.jpg
My extra battery worked very well with this diy connector. I used self adhisive velcro on the battery and the VPS module, with a cut out dor the sensors themselves, in case I want to fly without the extra battery and VPS activated.1477151948459249013151.jpg

View attachment 67535
My extra battery worked very well with this diy connector. I used self adhisive velcro on the battery and the VPS module, with a cut out dor the sensors themselves, in case I want to fly without the extra battery and VPS activated.View attachment 67536
That's awesome man, I'm hoping maxwell smart drops by and sees this, I know he mentioned making one. This is what I love about this hobby, the innovation and drive.

Edit: as soon as I posted, maxwell shows and beats me to it lol

So the VSP module does`nt help the Phantom keep a stable position when close to the ground, for example when hand catching the aircraft?
ive flown without vps installed for a few months, i honestly noticed no difference in any type of flights. But i also run in atti mode alot, so i'm used to drift.

I did my dual battery mod by now as well...used the multistar 5200lihv charged by the turnigy charger to 17,4V. When I am charging my DJI battery to the max (battery powered on and than connected to the charger to get it to the max), the DJI battery goes only up to 17,1V....sooooooo...when I am connecting the multistar to the Dji battery, the DJI thinks it shall be charged again....as the voltage difference is still too big.

My question: Has anyone figured out a way to charge the DJI battery to 17,4V as well, so that both batteries start with the same max. voltage ? Is that a charger issue of the DJI charger or does the "intelligent" battery charger electronic in the DJI battery do not allow more than 17,1V ?

I have a duel DJI battery mod and I removed the VPS sensor altogether.
Can you please post pics of the external battery attached to your phantom without the VPS? Those screws holding the vps seem like a great place to latch a 5200mah multistar 15.2v battery without anymore modifications to the body.

Last edited:
Can you please post pics of the external battery attached to your phantom without the VPS? Those screws holding the vps seem like a great place to latch a 5200mah multistar 15.2v battery without anymore modifications to the body.

so that white thing isn't just the VPS, under that white piece of plastic are two circuit boards, one is the VPS board and one is the transmission board.You take the plastic cover off, remove the VPS circuit board and then put the plastic cover back on. You then keep attaching the battery to that plastic part like normal. the vps board is gone, but the plastic remains.

Reactions: tml4191
I did my dual battery mod by now as well...used the multistar 5200lihv charged by the turnigy charger to 17,4V. When I am charging my DJI battery to the max (battery powered on and than connected to the charger to get it to the max), the DJI battery goes only up to 17,1V....sooooooo...when I am connecting the multistar to the Dji battery, the DJI thinks it shall be charged again....as the voltage difference is still too big.

My question: Has anyone figured out a way to charge the DJI battery to 17,4V as well, so that both batteries start with the same max. voltage ? Is that a charger issue of the DJI charger or does the "intelligent" battery charger electronic in the DJI battery do not allow more than 17,1V ?

here's a video i did on how to take the dji battery to 100%
Basically, turn it on so its powered on then plug it in. It will charge the rest of the way.

Reactions: Malster1
I will try. Cant find my camera after my last fishing trip.
Not much to see the battery tray covers up what you want to see. The duel DJI battery mod comes with a new cover for the VPS sensor .

I will try. Cant find my camera after my last fishing trip.
Not much to see the battery tray covers up what you want to see. The duel DJI battery mod comes with a new cover for the VPS sensor .
Oh, sorry I was referring to another one. I've already seen that one. Thank you though. I thought you had a multistar 5200 under the vps.

Last edited:
Finally went for it and ordered a battery mod setup for the p3p. I read through the dual battery thread, but I only skimmed through it since I do not know much about currents and batteries overall. My aim is to extend my phantom's flight time, so thank you to all who responded to my questions,and just everyone in general for contributing their research on this forum, but just to get it straight, can anyone else give me tips before I strap it all together?

I plan to:
1. Turn on the phantom
2. Connect the multistar battery
3. Lift off fast to prevent it from tipping over
4. Fly with caution because abrupt braking or a sudden change of direction is apparently dangerous.
5. .. and have fun.

Is there anything else I'm missing before I go through with this?

Got this
viewproduct | Accucell S60 AC Charger (US Plug)

And this:
Multistar LiHV High Capacity 5200Mah 4S Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack (US Warehouse)

With this:
DJI phantom 3 Phantom 2 Easy battery mods adaptor on Strikingly

(Extender included)^

I plan to strap it first with silicone self fusing tape before I go for a more permanent solution. Also, some fasteners(scotch hook loop 10lb rated) will most likely be added.

Is that battery and the charger that I got just plug and charge, or do I have to fiddle with the settings to change the charge compatibility for the p3p battery mod?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing