Dual Battery Mod

Is it a problem that the cells in the extra battery could be discharged too much before the flight is over? Or will the standard battery + extra battery effectively operate as one battery where charge is equalized between the two as they are discharged?

I agree that the battery adapter seems hugely overpriced. I brought some copper sheat home from work, to try and make the adapter myself. I already have plenty of XT60 connectors from previous projects.

I've found that when my DJI battery hits 0%, the external batteries still have some juice in them. I'd say about 3-5% remains in the externals.

While that adapter may be over priced, its nice to have options other than modding the battery or aircraft :) I'm all about options, because then competition drives cost down! :D

Reactions: Pluto88888
Thanks for sharing chazz. My last house had that EXACT same carpet!!

How does the aircraft fly with the 8k? If you go from full throttle to stop, any issues in balance coming to a stop, or issues turning? I noticed with my 6600 that braking was hard and kinda wanted to flip the bird, so I lowered the sensitivity to 70% and that really helped.

Yeah stopping is a little rough...i don't really notice an issue with turning maybe a little coasting...Thanks for the 70% idea I'm going to do that...

I am sure I can make that same battery connector that was posted by chazz said:
I paid the price he wanted just because he came up with the idea...No one else thought of this or at least anyone i saw...Well worth the $ saving me from having to cut a battery up, modifying the quad or buying a modded battery....I support the inventor.

Last edited:
I can echo DB's sentiment... I ran 2x MS4.0s 34min to 17%. For me, nothing beats the 5.2...41min flight time.

If I could get 41 min from the 5.2 I'd be okay with that too!..Maybe I got a bum 5.2...Is anyone else seeing that result?

Novel, basic question I suppose, but will P fly without the standard battery, only a 4s LiPo pack connected to the main power connector, not connection to the 4pin. I guess the answer is no...

Are the 4 pins for supplying P with aditional info from the battery, such as temp and single cell voltage?

Novel, basic question I suppose, but will P fly without the standard battery, only a 4s LiPo pack connected to the main power connector, not connection to the 4pin. I guess the answer is no...
Are the 4 pins for supplying P with aditional info from the battery, such as temp and single cell voltage?
Without a connection to the 4pin, i dont think so. I just tried, no OEM battery in, but external plugged in. I can power the aircraft, connect to RC and i get full video, etc. However, (this is dji go 3.0 on ipad) i get an 'invalid battery' message and cannot start the motors. but, if you have the stock battery in (but not powered on), or the stock battery dies, it will still fly in my experience.

edit: if stock battery in, but not turned on, motors wont fire. this is different than if you plugin the externals, it charges the stock and it powers off.in that case, the motors DO fire.

Last edited:
Anyone wanna collaborate on creating an FAQ on battery modification for the phantom 3? I started one, would love to have others help and tell me what I'm missing, or even just edit themselves! I've opened the google doc for editting, it can be found here. i stole alot of the pics from you guys here, i'll credit ya if you can tell me if its yours! i cant remember, but will give credit!

Battery Modification for DJI Phantom 3 FAQ

edit: look at the PDF attached, or google doc.

Attachments

• BatteryModificationforDJIPhantom3FAQ.pdf
    629.1 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Excellent initiative! That FAQ answers most or all of my questions regarding extra battery mods. Speaking for myself, I would really appreciate such FAQs and condenced info on other topics as well. It is almost impossible to sort out the good info from the not so good / useless info in a thread of 30-50-100+ pages.

Like yesterday and this morning, when I was flying in chilly Norway, 8 degC and 3DegC (46/37F), I got a warning about malfunction of the ultrasonic system a few minutes into the flight. I could continue the flight as usual. My first thought was the low temperature. I am sure I will find the answer once I search the forum. Btw, I was filming the same mountain as in this movie

Greetings..just recently completed battery mod on my P3P..now I have a couple of Nano tech 1800 mah 25-50c on the
bird, but at 263 grams each a bit to heavy so I think I will be going for some lighter ones. I have found this thread very informative and helpful...well done to all those who SAM_0462.JPG SAM_0464.JPG contributed.

Excellent initiative! That FAQ answers most or all of my questions regarding extra battery mods. Speaking for myself, I would really appreciate such FAQs and condenced info on other topics as well. It is almost impossible to sort out the good info from the not so good / useless info in a thread of 30-50-100+ pages.

Like yesterday and this morning, when I was flying in chilly Norway, 8 degC and 3DegC (46/37F), I got a warning about malfunction of the ultrasonic system a few minutes into the flight. I could continue the flight as usual. My first thought was the low temperature. I am sure I will find the answer once I search the forum. Btw, I was filming the same mountain as in this movie
I'll see if I can do a few others, maybe on on antennas next or modifying the rc. I don't mind, just need to know what topics.

That video was amazing amazing

Greetings..just recently completed battery mod on my P3P..now I have a couple of Nano tech 1800 mah 25-50c on the
bird, but at 263 grams each a bit to heavy so I think I will be going for some lighter ones. I have found this thread very informative and helpful...well done to all those who View attachment 67286 View attachment 67287 contributed.
That's a great spot to start. I just try and stay under 600g .. do share how it works out, welcome to the battery mod game heh

I'll see if I can do a few others, maybe on on antennas next or modifying the rc. I don't mind, just need to know what topics.
Antennae mods
Which phones or tablets work best ( I know the list by Dji, but some work better than others). How to avoid lag and disturbances.
General upgrades
Balancing props maybe

Reactions: Digdat0
I guess I made a mistake today by connecting the extra battery to the phantom via the connector mod BEFORE I actuaĺly startet the aircraft with a click and press om the stock battery. 4s Lipo. The camera went all over the place and there was 4 red angry flashing LEDs on the aircraft. I quickly disconnected the extra battery, shut down and removed the stock battery. Upon restart with the stock battery, everything was normal and I had a nice flight.

So, is it important to let phantom power up normally from the stock battery and then connect the extra? Mine did'nt seem to enjoy beeing powered up by a Tenergy Lipo

Great video. Well done.
Yes let the stock battery connect to the bird first.

I guess I made a mistake today by connecting the extra battery to the phantom via the connector mod BEFORE I actuaĺly startet the aircraft with a click and press om the stock battery. 4s Lipo. The camera went all over the place and there was 4 red angry flashing LEDs on the aircraft. I quickly disconnected the extra battery, shut down and removed the stock battery. Upon restart with the stock battery, everything was normal and I had a nice flight.

So, is it important to let phantom power up normally from the stock battery and then connect the extra? Mine did'nt seem to enjoy beeing powered up by a Tenergy Lipo

Yes, you want to power using the DJI battery first. Honestly, I dont think any harm/issues come if you use the external, but the aircraft will detect the "smart battery" is not there and won't do everything it supposed to, you will get "battery errors" and the craft won't be able to fire the motors. Always power on the DJI stock battery first :)

For a minute I thought everything was lost. Controller board burnt up or similar...

Thanks guys. Learning by doing, but saved by luck

For a minute I thought everything was lost. Controller board burnt up or similar...
Thanks guys. Learning by doing, but saved by luck
i use my externals to power it on often. I use this to bind the RC to the aircraft, have had no issues. its probably not designed for it, but i havent had any negative issues!

Hey Digdat0 had second test flight with P3P battery mod using those nano tech 1800s...flew 23k and returned into slight
headwind..still had some more in the tank, flight time 23.20 mins.

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing