Dual Battery Mod

Hi I am doing a battery mod on P3P and am a bit unsure where to solder wires for my external batteries, in Rocket_Aus original post he stated solder on the positive and negative terminals (covered with epoxy goop) these are on top of charging port right, so do I solder them on there or do I solder on small positive and negatives on the control board. help
SAM_0447.JPG

Hi I am doing a battery mod on P3P and am a bit unsure where to solder wires for my external batteries, in Rocket_Aus original post he stated solder on the positive and negative terminals (covered with epoxy goop) these are on top of charging port right, so do I solder them on there or do I solder on small positive and negatives on the control board. helpView attachment 66460
Yes on the top side of the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed209
I understand that there are two different p3 prof versions in the market: One with the 980kv and one with the 800 kv Motor. The 800kv seems to give 2-3 min longer flighttime...

But as they both use the same battery and prop, I would guess that the payload cant be as high as with the old version (980), right ? So, is anyone with a dual battery setup flying the new version ? Or is dual battery by definition only with the 980 motors ?

I understand that there are two different p3 prof versions in the market: One with the 980kv and one with the 800 kv Motor. The 800kv seems to give 2-3 min longer flighttime...

But as they both use the same battery and prop, I would guess that the payload cant be as high as with the old version (980), right ? So, is anyone with a dual battery setup flying the new version ? Or is dual battery by definition only with the 980 motors ?

It is fly what you got. I have both .

Not sure, I understand you...are you saYing both fly without prob with the extra battery ? And advantages new version vs. old ? Longer glight time/distance ?

I am considering to modify one with the same two battery kid you installed, but want to be sure to put this work into the right version...currently I own the old/980kv version...but if the new one gives extra 2-3 min...I will het the new one from ebay...

I've been reading that lipos have a break in period maybe about 5 to 10 cycles...Will I get more flight time on a battery after it has been broken in? Has anyone noticed this? If so how much more time can one expect?

First post: I have a Phantom 3 pro, and I am concidering if I should mod my second battery or just buy a third battery? I am not trying to set flight distance records. I often record movie in the mountains, far away from sivilization. I just want more flight time.

First post: I have a Phantom 3 pro, and I am concidering if I should mod my second battery or just buy a third battery? I am not trying to set flight distance records. I often record movie in the mountains, far away from sivilization. I just want more flight time.

modding a battery is pretty easy to be honest. if you have a soldering iron and a dremel, its way easy. Some vendors are also coming out with "power adapters" which you may wanna check out. Here's a link: DJI phantom 3 Phantom 2 Easy battery mods adaptor on Strikingly

but what i found is, once i got batteries, i wanted MORE MORE MORE .. so my recommendation is, get another and get a power adapter, no need to mod batteries or the aircraft.

Thanks for the power adapter tips. I have a decent garage with tools and skills for the job. Do I have to go with the more "exotic" LiPo's or will 2× Tenergy Nano Tech suffice? Any size that seems to be the sweet spot between added amp-hours, added weight and simply giving the most flight time? 2x 4s 1500-2000 mAh, wired in parallell and connected to the power adapter a good compromise?

Thanks for the power adapter tips. I have a decent garage with tools and skills for the job. Do I have to go with the more "exotic" LiPo's or will 2× Tenergy Nano Tech suffice? Any size that seems to be the sweet spot between added amp-hours, added weight and simply giving the most flight time? 2x 4s 1500-2000 mAh, wired in parallell and connected to the power adapter a good compromise?

I hate to be the one..
But it is all in this thread.

101 pages...sure there must have been some development and experience made since page 30 or 60, so the info there might not be the optimal solution. So I was hoping for an answer from someone experienced, that have seen what works and what was a dead end/failure.

checkout multistar 5200 and 6600. also Nano Tech 2200's and the Maxamps 2800. here's a sheet of batteries i've been pulling, you can see lots of options. Just make sure they are 4s :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qLrchaUxJwYF6FadjLhklW_GQf_y949Ci6ZUjjTZ_QQ/

edit: i also really like the Venom Fly LiHV batteries, 2300 and 3400

Reactions: hms
So the dual extra battery mod has been abandoned in favour of a single battery? No "established" sweet spot between added weight and extra flight time?

Great info in that list ☺

101 pages...sure there must have been some development and experience made since page 30 or 60, so the info there might not be the optimal solution. So I was hoping for an answer from someone experienced, that have seen what works and what was a dead end/failure.
so the quick answer is, all batteries will give ya something. But there are some combo's or batteries which are better than others. For me, the multistar 5200 gives reliable 33minute flight times. The multistar 6600 gives reliable 36min flight times. When i ran the split 5200 from horizon, i could only get 28-29min flight times. 2x2300 Venom Fly LIHV gets me about 30min flight times.

Any more weight than 600g has shown to be counter-productive. I'd try and keep it 500-600g batteries added for stock motors. Many users use dual lock to put these bigger batteries under the VPS, so make sure you disable VPS in the settings. If you go with a pair of batteries, you will need some battery wings.

I'd recommend looking at the leaderboard threads too, lotta good info (but alot of hunting/reading)
Official P3 Range Leaderboard
Official P4 Range Leaderboard

So the dual extra battery mod has been abandoned in favour of a single battery? No "established" sweet spot between added weight and extra flight time? Great info in that list ☺

alot of guys are trying different things, but many are settling on a single battery like the 5200 or 6600. I found that running dual batteries is okay, but running a split single didn't work out well. My 1 battery 5200 i can get 5 more mins than a split 5200. But, say like 2x2800 maxamps would be about the same as the MS5200, but the weight is more.. so more people go with the single battery. Honestly, the multi star batteries (singles) are probably the best out there now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94