Dual Battery Mod

Weird deal. Midwest received my 2x P3 batteries on a Thurs. I received a USPS notification the next day, Friday. The notification was that they, USPS, received notification that Midwest had an item they would be shipping. It had a USPS tracking number. I've checked the tracking number several times a day since then. Nada. Same status. No movement. Here I thought this was going to be a lightening fast turnaround time?

Givin the turn around i saw, bet its on its way tomorrow! So far, it's not worth the hype! Hope you get better results than i did. I'm gonna test some more, but i had perfect conditions and went 7 miles out with only 22.50
Post yer results here
Horizon v-3 split power mod

Yeah I think you get notification when they package and label your shipment but it will sit if it's not a working USPS day. They received mine sat and I got notification yesterday. It will arrive tomorrow (wed). So here comes another review to the mix. Im not expecting anything magical as I've already done my own split mod within the custom balance connector.

Weird deal. Midwest received my 2x P3 batteries on a Thurs. I received a USPS notification the next day, Friday. The notification was that they, USPS, received notification that Midwest had an item they would be shipping. It had a USPS tracking number. I've checked the tracking number several times a day since then. Nada. Same status. No movement. Here I thought this was going to be a lightening fast turnaround time?

Well, its been 4 days including the day I got the USPS email with a tracking number. No package and USPS tracking still just says shipping label printed.

I hope your disappointing shipping situation is not overshadowed by disappointing flight results[emoji41]

I hope your disappointing shipping situation is not overshadowed by disappointing flight results[emoji41]

We shall see. I put a note on each battery indicating which one I'd like split and which one modified. I'm using an FPV Customs modified battery as my split as that mod did nothing for me and the other brand new battery I bought as the main battery. On a side note I believe the FPV Customs battery was "used" and not new. It was just too dirty and marked up and the flat pin pad on it had uneven blackish marks on it. But other than that I have no proof. Someone commented on how the battery cycle count can be reset so who knows.

Both the batteries i sent was around the 5-7 charge area both w/ 100% life. I use modded bats for flight so both the ones i sent were practically new, i used them for things like testing after placing new camera, doing imu cals, etc. i wonder if there's different performance results based on quality control, aka, how the mod is done in house? Doesnt seem likely since all balance up during charging but it makes you wonder why a few get an easy 30 min. Yet mine start on the app at 18-20 mins which is what (1) reg. smart bat starts at.

Well, its been 4 days including the day I got the USPS email with a tracking number. No package and USPS tracking still just says shipping label printed.

Mine too is just sitting there with no status update since March 14. Like they printed the shipping label but have not sent the item. Not getting a warm fuzzy about this.

For those looking at a cheap but decent LiHV charger :SKYRC-iMAX-B6AC-V2 for $56 . It Has LiHV option at least on the latest model at banggood.

SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 Professional Balance Charger/Discharger SK-100090

It happens that I have been looking at that model due to it taking both AC and DC input. I wrote the company to ask them about the difference betweeen the black and the blue version to which they said: "Yes, SK-100008 and SK-100009 only difference is keyboard."

I also asked about how cabling would be needed to charge a Phantom battery, and he said:
"I am not sure how you are a going to charge the Phantom 3 battery, as it is not like common battery.
And two charger is only suggested to charge battery without built in protection circuit."

So....do you know what I can connect to the charger and how? Can I connect more than one battery at a time?

Thanks!

It happens that I have been looking at that model due to it taking both AC and DC input. I wrote the company to ask them about the difference betweeen the black and the blue version to which they said: "Yes, SK-100008 and SK-100009 only difference is keyboard."

I also asked about how cabling would be needed to charge a Phantom battery, and he said:
"I am not sure how you are a going to charge the Phantom 3 battery, as it is not like common battery.
And two charger is only suggested to charge battery without built in protection circuit."

So....do you know what I can connect to the charger and how? Can I connect more than one battery at a time?

Thanks!

Its not meant to charge the phantom battery but for external batteries like Hyperions 2400 or ( split P3 battery - Horizon Mod) . And charge them once at a time.

Color me confused....as long as the charger can put out the right amperage and voltage, why can't it charge anything that is compatible? How would the output of this charger be different than other "Phantom" chargers?

I saw an Anbee DC charger for like only $16 bucks but that didn't see like something I could trust.

Doesn't the Phantom charger put out a fixed voltage/amperage and the battery has the intelligence to monitor input levels?

Steps to Reset the Smart Battery board:
1. Push and hold the buttom
2. Connect the LiPo Balance cable
3. Disconnect the LiPo Balance cable and release the buttom

Do that, then charge the the entire battery array together (original DJI battery with the split DJI battery attached like they show in the horizon video )

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Would you please provide a link to the horizon video?

Great post. Thank you.
However, I believe that 1) we need the same dji's additional battery to try to equate their voltages (and better if the same time of use), and, 2) it's necessary a small resistor in order to not suddenly discharge one of these (the battery with bigger voltage) to protect its battery life. Next month I will make tests using your excellent work. Congratulations!!
Addenda: Its no necessary that thick wires gage. Such electric current can be probably managed with AWG 18 (>15A) or AWG 20 (>10A). (to be confirmed).

Has anyone tried the HobbyKing MultiStar HV lipo's?
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbykin...apacity_4S_6600mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html

Are they any good? Iv been doing some payload/ endurance testing with standard DJI batteries to work out at what point the weight of the battery exceeds the return in terms of flight time. I have some interesting results - happy to share if anybody is interested.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Has anyone tried the HobbyKing MultiStar HV lipo's?
MultiStar LiHV High Capacity 4S 6600mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

Are they any good? Iv been doing some payload/ endurance testing with standard DJI batteries to work out at what point the weight of the battery exceeds the return in terms of flight time. I have some interesting results - happy to share if anybody is interested.

I used those lipos as aux, they're good and cheap.

Interested in your payload results!

Payload vs flight time testing

I've tried to eliminate as many variables as possible so that I can make as accurate comparison as possible.

- all tests were performed indoors over two days (hover test) - no wind and minimal temperate and pressure variations.
- I used 2 different DJI batteries (I only have 2!) to minimise the chances of using a battery with uniquely good or bad characteristics (both started on about 30-40 cycles).
- each test was repeated 3 times in order to gain an average.

During each test the battery %, mah and voltage were recorded at takeoff and upon landing. The flight duration was noted. Most flights took off at 98% and were landed at 15% battery. The hover was at 0.8/0.9m.

I conducted 3 test flights with each of the following payloads:
0g (control), 200g, 400g, 600g, 800g, 1000g and 1200g.

- For each test I calculated the average mah consumed per second (rather than converting into power / watts - amps etc...)

RESULTS

No payload. 3.5 mah per second (210 per min)
200g. 4.2 mah per second (252 per min)
400g. 5.0 mah per second (300 per min)
600g. 5.9 mah per second (354 per min)
800g. 6.9 mah per second (414 per min)
1000g. 8.2 mah per second (492 per min)
1200g. 11.2 mah per second (672 per min)
1400g. Test aborted - discharge overload warning

On average each test consumed 3640mah (about 85% of the battery capacity).

CONCLUSION

There is a steady increase in power consumption as weight is added upto apx 1000g. At 1200g payload the power consumption increases significantly and at 1400g the bird took off but hovered for only 15 seconds before one of the battery cells (as displayed in the DJI Go app) went red and triggered several warnings. The bird was clearly struggling to hover and I aborted the test. I'm not sure what the maximum payload is but I don't want to trash my batteries or set fire to my P3 (or house!).

I have done these tests to work out the theoretical best match for different batteries combinations - I say theoretical because I haven't bought any other batteries just yet and I can only go off what each of the battery manufacturers claim the capacities and weights to be.

Theoretical hover times using 85% capacity:

1 - 30min 36sec - 1 x MultiStar 16,000 mah battery (remove DJI battery) - 831g @ 7.1 mah/s
2 - 28min 28sec - 2 x MultiStar 5200 mah batteries with DJI battery - 836g @ 7.1 mah/s
3 - 27min 39sec - 3 x standard DJI batteries - 732g @ 6.6 mah/s
4 - 27min 35sec - 2 x MultiStar 6600 mah batteries (remove DJI battery) - 714g @ 6.5 mah/s
5 - 26min 58sec - 2 x MultiStar 6600 mah batteries with DJI battery - 1064g @ 8.9 mah\s
6 - 26min 54sec - 2 x MultiStar 4000 mah batteries with DJI battery - 690g @ 6.3 mah/s
7 - 26min 14sec - 2 x Hyperion 5200 mah batteries with DJI battery - 932g @ 7.7 mah/s
8 - 26min 13sec - 2 x Hyperion 3650 mah batteries with DJI battery - 640g @ 6.1 mah/s
9 - 26min 9sec - 2 x MultiStar 5200 mah batteries (remove DJI battery) - 486g @ 5.4 mah/s
10 - 26min 7sec - 1 x MultiStar 10,000 mah battery (remove DJI battery) - 444g @ 5.2 mah/s

I have assumed 2 ways of mounting batteries:
1 - in parallel with a DJI battery,
2 - as a replacement to a DJI battery - as shown in page 40 of this thread.

Based on these results I am going to buy and test the MultiStar 16,000 mah and 2 X MultiStar 6600mah.

I've only listed LiHV batteries that I can get in the UK but I could add some others to this list to compare if people are interested (need weight and mah). I would be interested to see if the theory is similar to people's experience.

I'll post some photos of the tests.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
I used nails and black tape to build accurate payloads:

25606ab01f3af0778ce798918d7841fe.jpg

And layered them on each side in 100g increments (200g) total each time):

e2981e977acede24a8215270e60935b6.jpg

I also put some tape on the wooden floor for the vision position system to track. The P3 found the plain wooden floor hard to keep still on during the practice runs. I even put a heavy rubber mat on the floor for it to track the edge of but then it blew the mat and followed it! Hence, the tape:

1db4855b66bb7457894b65e1408c6aa5.jpg

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
I used nails and black tape to build accurate payloads:

25606ab01f3af0778ce798918d7841fe.jpg

And layered them on each side in 100g increments (200g) total each time):

e2981e977acede24a8215270e60935b6.jpg

I also put some tape on the wooden floor for the vision position system to track. The P3 found the plain wooden floor hard to keep still on during the practice runs. I even put a heavy rubber mat on the floor for it to track the edge of but then it blew the mat and followed it! Hence, the tape:

1db4855b66bb7457894b65e1408c6aa5.jpg

Payload vs flight time testing

I've tried to eliminate as many variables as possible so that I can make as accurate comparison as possible.

- all tests were performed indoors over two days (hover test) - no wind and minimal temperate and pressure variations.
- I used 2 different DJI batteries (I only have 2!) to minimise the chances of using a battery with uniquely good or bad characteristics (both started on about 30-40 cycles).
- each test was repeated 3 times in order to gain an average.

During each test the battery %, mah and voltage were recorded at takeoff and upon landing. The flight duration was noted. Most flights took off at 98% and were landed at 15% battery. The hover was at 0.8/0.9m.

I conducted 3 test flights with each of the following payloads:
0g (control), 200g, 400g, 600g, 800g, 1000g and 1200g.

- For each test I calculated the average mah consumed per second (rather than converting into power / watts - amps etc...)

RESULTS

No payload. 3.5 mah per second (210 per min)
200g. 4.2 mah per second (252 per min)
400g. 5.0 mah per second (300 per min)
600g. 5.9 mah per second (354 per min)
800g. 6.9 mah per second (414 per min)
1000g. 8.2 mah per second (492 per min)
1200g. 11.2 mah per second (672 per min)
1400g. Test aborted - discharge overload warning

On average each test consumed 3640mah (about 85% of the battery capacity).

CONCLUSION

There is a steady increase in power consumption as weight is added upto apx 1000g. At 1200g payload the power consumption increases significantly and at 1400g the bird took off but hovered for only 15 seconds before one of the battery cells (as displayed in the DJI Go app) went red and triggered several warnings. The bird was clearly struggling to hover and I aborted the test. I'm not sure what the maximum payload is but I don't want to trash my batteries or set fire to my P3 (or house!).

I have done these tests to work out the theoretical best match for different batteries combinations - I say theoretical because I haven't bought any other batteries just yet and I can only go off what each of the battery manufacturers claim the capacities and weights to be.

Theoretical hover times using 85% capacity:

1 - 30min 36sec - 1 x MultiStar 16,000 mah battery (remove DJI battery) - 831g @ 7.1 mah/s
2 - 28min 28sec - 2 x MultiStar 5200 mah batteries with DJI battery - 836g @ 7.1 mah/s
3 - 27min 39sec - 3 x standard DJI batteries - 732g @ 6.6 mah/s
4 - 27min 35sec - 2 x MultiStar 6600 mah batteries (remove DJI battery) - 714g @ 6.5 mah/s
5 - 26min 58sec - 2 x MultiStar 6600 mah batteries with DJI battery - 1064g @ 8.9 mah\s
6 - 26min 54sec - 2 x MultiStar 4000 mah batteries with DJI battery - 690g @ 6.3 mah/s
7 - 26min 14sec - 2 x Hyperion 5200 mah batteries with DJI battery - 932g @ 7.7 mah/s
8 - 26min 13sec - 2 x Hyperion 3650 mah batteries with DJI battery - 640g @ 6.1 mah/s
9 - 26min 9sec - 2 x MultiStar 5200 mah batteries (remove DJI battery) - 486g @ 5.4 mah/s
10 - 26min 7sec - 1 x MultiStar 10,000 mah battery (remove DJI battery) - 444g @ 5.2 mah/s

I have assumed 2 ways of mounting batteries:
1 - in parallel with a DJI battery,
2 - as a replacement to a DJI battery - as shown in page 40 of this thread.

Based on these results I am going to buy and test the MultiStar 16,000 mah and 2 X MultiStar 6600mah.

I've only listed LiHV batteries that I can get in the UK but I could add some others to this list to compare if people are interested (need weight and mah). I would be interested to see if the theory is similar to people's experience.

I'll post some photos of the tests.

The sweet spot seems to be between 600g and 800g as the jump after 800g is the most significant. I don't know that I would want to strain my motors even at 600g though. You may find after awhile they fail while your out there 4+ miles away.

My thoughts exactly - this was only a hover test. I expect that the motors will be under more strain when on the move. There is a trade-off between more airtime and excessive wear on the bird.

If I mod it correctly then I'll be able to use a selection of batteries with ease.

I notice that the mod at the start of this thread does not use a balance lead but the horizon mod does - is it really needed for flight?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka