Dual Battery Mod

Status update:

Battery mod complete (2x2S). Also modded another one of my DJI batteries (had 36 flights on it) to accept external bats. I'm a little disappointed... 26min landing at 9%. I'm not sure if my batteries are crapped out or what... But this is worse performance Hyperion G6 2400s and even the 1800s. There was about a 5-7mph wind and I was constantly flying/moving, not hovering. Not sure if aggressive flying would drain more battery than WOT straight out and back like in distance runs but I'm a little perturbed.

Temp was 57f

fcElQkZ.png
Nice to see you got to test it.i am going to fly tomorrow it's going to be +9C so I will get to test the new battery mod.not to pleased to here of your flight time.considering that it is almost 80 or so grams lighter.i am sure hoping to see 30 mins.but I will try a long distance flight and see what's up!!!

Nice to see you got to test it.i am going to fly tomorrow it's going to be +9C so I will get to test the new battery mod.not to pleased to here of your flight time.considering that it is almost 80 or so grams lighter.i am sure hoping to see 30 mins.but I will try a long distance flight and see what's up!!!

I started with 97%. All cells are good with no major deviations. Maybe it's just an old battery. I ordered the mod from Horizon, sent them brand new batteries today. I'll give it another run tomorrow. Maybe my freestyle spaghetti flying technique really drains the battery more than constant throttle? Good luck on your flight tomorrow. Don't go for a record just yet in case you have same results as me :D

Reactions: dirtybum
I started with 97%. All cells are good with no major deviations. Maybe it's just an old battery. I ordered the mod from Horizon, sent them brand new batteries today. I'll give it another run tomorrow. Maybe my freestyle spaghetti flying technique really drains the battery more than constant throttle? Good luck on your flight tomorrow. Don't go for a record just yet in case you have same results as me :D
You ordered from Midwest horizon?

Status update:

Battery mod complete (2x2S). Also modded another one of my DJI batteries (had 36 flights on it) to accept external bats. I'm a little disappointed... 26min landing at 9%. I'm not sure if my batteries are crapped out or what... But this is worse performance Hyperion G6 2400s and even the 1800s. There was about a 5-7mph wind and I was constantly flying/moving, not hovering. Not sure if aggressive flying would drain more battery than WOT straight out and back like in distance runs but I'm a little perturbed.

Temp was 57f

fcElQkZ.png
Is this the split DJI mod?

Ed209: have the same mod, done a few weeks ago (I have multiple packs). There is one person getting 30+ minutes with this mod (no reason not to believe him, of course). I am only getting 23-26 minutes to 10% (23 min pure hovering and 26 min flying aggressively), but it's cold here (about 0 °C). Tried it on my two birds with FW 1.4 (new motors).

Ed209: have the same mod, done by FPV Horizons a few weeks ago (I have multiple packs). There is one person getting 30+ minutes with this mod (no reason not to believe him, of course). I am only getting 23-26 minutes to 10% (23 min pure hovering and 26 min flying aggressively), but it's cold here (about 0 °C). Tried it on my two birds with FW 1.4 (new motors).
Yes it's cold weather I believe unknown caller I seen his flight log 34 mins but he lives in California so that hot weather must make a big difference..

I'm hoping it was either my flying style or maybe the batteries needed calibration/balancing. DJI Go said battery was at 97% when I took off. The main battery is from Aug. Has 33 flights and 28 charge cycles. The split battery was my newest battery, 8 flights on it. I am running 1.1.9 and new motors. The batteries I sent to Horizon Midwest are brand new...Literally received them, checked them quick and sent them out.

There is a huge difference between 26 and 34 minutes. It can't just be the outside temperature; there must be something else (firmware version, bird version, hardware version, flying style, I don't know). I also believe UnknownCaller, but there is nobody else getting his results.
They modded 5 packs for me, all were brand new, never used. I flew a lot, never got more than 26 minutes. 2x2400 Hyperion G6, same style and temps of flying, I get close to 30 minutes.

Reactions: Silverwingflinx
Ed: all I say, don't get your hopes up. I had great expectations of this mod, and though it's a well made mod, duration just isn't there for me.

I think the smart cap has to charge the batteries to calibrate itself for the higher mah. The issue I think is that the cap is learning each charge cycle so it can approximate flight times. So to get around this you almost want to reset the smart cap and then have it charge itself and the aux battery packs so it "learns" how much power it really has to burn.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think the smart cap has to charge the batteries to calibrate itself for the higher mah. The issue I think is that the cap is learning each charge cycle so it can approximate flight times. So to get around this you almost want to reset the smart cap and then have it charge itself and the aux battery packs so it "learns" how much power it really has to burn.

If that's true then why is performance better with the Hyperion batteries?

Good thinking, but I don't agree. AFAIK the smart board has no memory or similar.

The way the battery learns and approximates % & flight time is by how much is put in. Or at least was with the p2. If you reset the smart cap it will clear any cycle / life memory and possibly help with flight times. I know it sounds silly but I think you would be pleasantly surprised

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94