Drop in price?

People arrive at decisions differently. To me, the question (I am a photographer first) are: Is the camera/sensor in P5 a significant upgrade over the P4P? If yes, I am willing to risk the teething problems. If no, I'll go with the P4P.
So youd rather have a drone with a better camera (even though the P4P is normally more than sufficient for most shoots) that could be grounded and not working at all than a reliable working P4P? Don't forget this is the consumer range. If you are a serious photographer then look at the Inspire range. You can change high quality cameras rather than the whole drone over time.

Reactions: SRJ_Phantom_4_Pro
People arrive at decisions differently. To me, the question (I am a photographer first) are: Is the camera/sensor in P5 a significant upgrade over the P4P? If yes, I am willing to risk the teething problems. If no, I'll go with the P4P.
I also own an Inspire 1 V2. Totally different craft and quite honestly iconic! but it does give me the option to splash out on a nice camera should I so choose. Phantom is for quick and easy flight. Inspire is for less quick setup but more versatile camera and favoured because it looks more professional to clients (unfortunately!)

So youd rather have a drone with a better camera (even though the P4P is normally more than sufficient for most shoots) that could be grounded and not working at all than a reliable working P4P? Don't forget this is the consumer range. If you are a serious photographer then look at the Inspire range. You can change high quality cameras rather than the whole drone over time.

In the event the P5 is announced, the presumption is that I will have enough time to play with it before setting out. It isn't like I'll take it out of the box and fly out of town the next day.

I have looked at Inspire but portability is an issue. The drone is a supplement to my work not its core. The P4 worked out beautifully for me to get compositions not otherwise possible. With the P4P we are almost in SLR territory, which is what makes the expected arrival of P5 so exciting.

As someone with an upcoming photo expedition in about 2 months, I can wait until the end of this month to make my purchase. If the P5 is announced by then, great. I'll have a decision choice. If not, the P4P will do.

Is that sufficiently clear or should I slow down?
Please slow down! Id love to see how you present a slowly typed reply on here!?? haha

In the event the P5 is announced, the presumption is that I will have enough time to play with it before setting out. It isn't like I'll take it out of the box and fly out of town the next day.

I have looked at Inspire but portability is an issue. The drone is a supplement to my work not its core. The P4 worked out beautifully for me to get compositions not otherwise possible. With the P4P we are almost in SLR territory, which is what makes the expected arrival of P5 so exciting.
I think you are focusing too heavily on high expectation of the camera itself. The UAV tech is not solely about the camera but other factors to make them safer. Obstacle avoidance is something DJI are focusing heavily on of which we might see primarily on the P5 rather than an increased camera upgrade each time.
You are a photographer more than a flyer perhaps which again would suggest you focus more on the Inspire.

Failing that! Tape an SLR to your P4 with some sticky tape and glue haha

Sheesh still the P5..... The likelihood of a P5 anytime before next year is slim to none!
Yes, it is kind of funny how anytime anyone at DJI so much as burps or Amazon monkeys with the price a bit (as Amazon always does) that people start screaming 'P5!!!!!' :) It is very unlikely that DJI would release a Phantom or Mavic upgrade until late this year at the very soonest.

Reactions: SRJ_Phantom_4_Pro
Amazon Price, sold and shipped by Amazon, is now $1402.59
In stock on March 12th, 2017.
Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 4 PRO Professional Drone, Hobby RC Quadcopter & Multirotor, White, CP.PT.000488 : Camera & Photo

I'd be very happy if DJI would just fix the problems with the P4P camera and gimbal!
1.Camera flips where the gimbal can't keep up, usually in left turns while flying over 30mph
2. Intermittent 30 frame glitches in 4K 60fps video
3. Incessant "High wind" warnings that block the FPV, and reappear as soon as you acknowledge them

The P4P 4.3 mile range and 25 minute battery life and camera itself are already awesome!:cool:
Can't imagine they can improve upon those in this price range yet!

Last edited:
I got Adorama to price match Amazon at $1435. That plus an additional battery worked out to $1604.

Adorama also has a package deal for the P4P + battery for $1618.

I got Adorama to price match Amazon at $1435. That plus an additional battery worked out to $1604.

Adorama also has a package deal for the P4P + battery for $1618.
Sounds like an easy price match when you want an extra P4P battery. They only gave up $14, instead of $64. :cool:

Sounds like an easy price match when you want an extra P4P battery. They only gave up $14, instead of $64. :cool:

Well, I asked them to knock off $64 on $1618, but that wasn't possible. Still, not a bad deal.

Last edited:
Well, I asked them to knock off $64 on $1618, but that wasn't possible. Still, not a bad deal.
Indeed! Far more important is that you get one with a straight camera, and a balanced gimbal, that won't flip the camera in left turns. I went through 4 bad ones to find one good one! :cool: Newer units being shipped now should be better. There are still occasional glitches in all 4K 60fps video that haven't been fixed by any firmware update yet. Hope springs eternal, as if it can't be fixed by firmware, replacing all the cameras with newer, glitch free ones may be the only solution!

Looks like the $1321 price was rock bottom for the time being. Those who were waiting for $1300 instead lost out. $1435 now. $1399 is the most recent low.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor