Drone stuck in 125 ft tree

Good. Glad you got it back. Dose the tree company charge by the hight of the tree? Lol. 125ft tree, $125 to get it down. 1$ a foot.

Don't know he gave me a price before seeing it I told him it was afoot 100 feet up

ed51ad98f801c077c562628e99d61bb9.jpg
8faad77e3b7877761a28b7051289e30c.jpg
936a5e4dcdbd796553a64c2520ae43d9.jpg

How did he get the rope up and around the high branch in the first picture before he started climbing?

How did he get the rope up and around the high branch in the first picture before he started climbing?

He had a sling shot device that shot a smaller rope over then attached his rope to pull back over

That's similar to what I did.. I used the bottom half of a fishing pole and loaded the reel with 50lb braided line. I tied a 2oz sinker to the line, and shot the sinker with a slingshot over the limb holding the drone, then lowered the sinker until I could grab it, then shook like crazy until the drone fell out.. took about 30 mins but worked perfectly

That's almost exactly how I string radio antennas over a high tree branch. I also use a hunting slingshot to launch 2 - 3 lb lead fishing weight attached to a 50 lb monofilament fishing line. This saved me when I stuck my drone about 75 feet up a tree. Launched the lead weight & line over the branch towards the end and shook it a couple of times. Down she came and my wife and friend were able to catch it with a blanket. Had to replace a prop, but other than that it was good as new. From the time it got stuck until I got it back down was about 30 minutes (15 was trying to find my slingshot). Using the slingshot method I've strung line over 150' trees before. However, I flew my drone over a tall tree with an attached 50 lb fishing line, landed on the other side, and used the line to pull an antenna up & over. Never thought to video it. Had to be very careful, on the downward leg, to land far enough out the line did not catch a prop, but it worked !

Hum, I decided this Phantom was about 190'
The tree 200' to 210'

Wasn't really a tree that a human would climb. :rolleyes:

Rod

When in doubt, take drone up and do a 360 check for threatening obstacles. Also avoid any wind. Finally, keep drone within your line of sight ... within FAA regulation.

Hum, I decided this Phantom was about 190'
The tree 200' to 210'

Wasn't really a tree that a human would climb. :rolleyes:

Rod

Rod where is the tree located mine was in a residential area if it wasn't I would have cut the tree down

Rod where is the tree located mine was in a residential area if it wasn't I would have cut the tree down
Neighbors property we thought about taking some shots at the holding limbs, a friend probably has every gun size up to 50 cal, and knows what he is doing. One of many bad factors was the easiest shot would have been from a public road. :rolleyes:

Figured if we dropped the tree the Phantom would be destroyed from the tree. Shoot the tree top it would be damaged if fell to the ground. If it didn't hit the ground it would get caught again.

Rod

When in doubt, take drone up and do a 360 check for threatening obstacles. Also avoid any wind. Finally, keep drone within your line of sight ... within FAA regulation.
Line of sight, yes that would have helped. ;)

I had been trying missions to follow this road which kind of loops and has twelve houses on it. My goal was to get footage may be once a week, or at least once month to show the different seasons, etc. I had actually been at this property's owners house about a two weeks before this happened. I showed him some footage and I was trying to figure out how tall the trees were to West of his house. Later that same day, I ran a similar mission. I sent him a text, "here it comes", He replied "Wow, there it goes". :D

I loose signal as quick as 30-40 seconds with P3S. It goes in and out during the loop. I was flying at 200' Agl the day of the Phantom Catching Pine. I figure now that tree is 210' to 220'. All the Pines and Doug Firs around my house are 100' to 150' I have always set my RTH around my house to 200'. Hum not anymore. :rolleyes:

I just recalculated the tree height with its location from my starting point at my house's ground level.
The Phantom was 711' Agl when it hit the top 20' of the tree.

I'm pretty sure at 1000' I can fly the loop and still have LOS, which at the point where that tree is would be 498' Agl, but the footage would not be what I want. The highest part of this loop is 593' above my house. So 1000' - 593' = 407', it would be Los and about 400'

In my garage, with the door closed, my Marco Polo tracker could pick it up at 15%. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it was not a fun day. :eek:

Rod

I flew mine into a tree. It was pretty well stuck at 60 ft. I called a local sign company with a bucket truck....2 hours later and $135 and my drone was unhurt in my hands.

C H E A P !!!!

There was a video on YouTube where someone has created a device using PVC pipe, a fishing reel and a dowel along with some surgical tubing to shoot the dowel into the tree and bring the drone down. You might search for that. It was quite ingenious.

Reactions: RodPad
Well this is kind of funny.

I was reading @David Rodwell post and was thinking 60' that's not very far up, three pieces of PVC pipe would reach that. I used 1 20' piece connected to chimney brush to clean out the wood stove pipe.

Then I see @cmuchmore post with "PVC" pipe. :eek: :D

Thanks to both of you, I got some new twisted ideas. :rolleyes:

Rod

There was a video on YouTube where someone has created a device using PVC pipe, a fishing reel and a dowel along with some surgical tubing to shoot the dowel into the tree and bring the drone down. You might search for that. It was quite ingenious.
If you come across that video, post me a link.
I see your new here and I did a back ground check (Looked at your other 2 posts ;)).

Anyways... Welcome to the Forum!

btw, looks like you may be a Litchi'r :rolleyes:

Rod

I got mine stuck ones hopefully it never happen again but when I did I got myself a string line hooked some weights onto it from my tacklebox and swung it up there and was able to fling it around the branch and pulled on it and my throne came back down

Well this is kind of funny.

I was reading @David Rodwell post and was thinking 60' that's not very far up, three pieces of PVC pipe would reach that. I used 1 20' piece connected to chimney brush to clean out the wood stove pipe.

Then I see @cmuchmore post with "PVC" pipe. :eek: :D

Thanks to both of you, I got some new twisted ideas. :rolleyes:

Rod

I found the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOY0dvRI7oI
We were flying at the RC Hobby park and there were lots of aluminum antenna pipe sections they keep for getting RC airplanes down. They were unmanageable and might have damaged my bird. The fall from 60 feet did not look like a good idea.

I paid $135 for the cherry picker and replaced the props...still cheap.

I'm definitely going to build me one of them maybe even make some money off of this LOL

I tried that recently, when I had one of mine stuck about 40 feet up. I rigged up a trebble hook made out of wire hangers and a orange tape measure to weight it down on about 15' of light wire. Using my other quad, I almost hooked it, when I must have hit a small branch and took the tip off of one prop. It went goofy and I ended up with both in the tree. I managed to reach them with a long ladder and 3 lengths of plastic conduit with a hook on the end. Both fell to the ground. I had to send one to DJI for repairs. Cost $172. Not too bad for 2 DAM (dumb *** moves).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart