Drone Eclipse?

Reaction score
Anyone going to watch the eclipse on Aug 21?

Would be a perfect opportunity to get some awesome drone footage, pretty sure many drone owners already had this idea. But assuming the drone gets 30 minutes in the air, that should be plenty of time to get some good video. Maybe like 5-10 minutes before totality, I will launch the drone in the sky and get it into position and start recording. Since the eclipse only lasts 2-3 minutes depending where you are.

Like where should I point the drone to get really cool perspective you can't see in person? Should I see land so maybe you can see a giant shadow sweeping over?

Plus I don't know what to do about glare, the DJI 4 always seems glary, not like an iPhone photo where it's crisp and has no problems. What should I make is working correctly before the day of the eclipse so I don't get screwed over with a problem like 10 minutes before the eclipse?

That also depends on where you live. Where I am the sun will be almost straight up and impossible to shoot from the drone.

That also depends on where you live. Where I am the sun will be almost straight up and impossible to shoot from the drone.

Oh ya I forgot where the sun would be located. I assumed it would be straight ahead, but guess depends where you live.

I don't know which state I want to go to yet. But I'm focused on either the closest area to me or the area that will have the longest duration.

Here's a reference for you.
Eclipse.JPG

Reactions: Travels with Yoly
Its going to be directly overhead just about any place you watch from. This one is a mostly middle of the day event.

MIght be a good choice for an OSMO, if a suitable solar filter can be found.

I am just using the SLR camera on a tripod. A drone overhead recording the shadow moving across the ground might be neat. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity for the SLR shots by getting too busy with the drone, which can't look up. Knowing my luck, I'll do all this planning and it will be a cloudy day.

For SLR pics you will need a serious solar filter. OW, it will ruin the camera for any direct pics.

For SLR pics you will need a serious solar filter. OW, it will ruin the camera for any direct pics.
For visual or photographic purposes at least an ND6 filter will be required. A bit like Welders Glasses.

I'm considering doing a flight as well. Not of the sun, but doing around 10 minute flight to 400' AGL and viewing the landscape. In Ohio I'll be seeing about 88% of totality.
You will see optical effects on the landscape even if not in Totality. The sunlight passing thru the leaves of trees will create a "pinhole camera" effect and will project images of the sun on the ground. That is of course if its not raining, which is my luck...

I'm considering doing a flight as well. Not of the sun, but doing around 10 minute flight to 400' AGL and viewing the landscape. In Ohio I'll be seeing about 88% of totality.
You will see optical effects on the landscape even if not in Totality. The sunlight passing thru the leaves of trees will create a "pinhole camera" effect and will project images of the sun on the ground. That is of course if its not raining, which is my luck...
Is there any particular direction the drone should be oriented for best photos/filming here in Ohio? (i.e. filming from the south looking north/or something in that manner?)

While I understand the pinhole effect, there is no image of a full disc during 'normal' solar days so why will there be one of an eclipse?

Me, I'll be 'in the moment' and enjoying it as it happens. They'll be countless numerous images captured by others if I wish to have one.

I have been looking into that. Do you know of a good source at a reasonable price? The ones that I have seen are very expensive.

I have been looking into that. Do you know of a good source at a reasonable price? The ones that I have seen are very expensive.

B&H Photo and Amazon have many. They range from about $30 to $200. Solar filters is not my area of expertise. Some references say to focus on ND 100000, others less.

Reactions: JWH
My dad is a welder and we have poly carbonate plastic 4" X 4" tinted (shade 10-12) cover plates can I stick a fresh one of those in front of my handheld camera or cut one with a holesaw to make a filter? we might have some shade 4-6 1.5" rounds for for torch googles too?

While I understand the pinhole effect, there is no image of a full disc during 'normal' solar days so why will there be one of an eclipse?

Me, I'll be 'in the moment' and enjoying it as it happens. They'll be countless numerous images captured by others if I wish to have one.
The pinhole effect can be observed because the sunlight is coming from a much smaller source during a partial or total eclipse.

Is there any particular direction the drone should be oriented for best photos/filming here in Ohio? (i.e. filming from the south looking north/or something in that manner?)
Its been reported that interesting shadow effects can be noted to the west during a total eclipse, not sure about partial. Weather permitting, I'll probably be looking SSW over some open fields.

For those looking at that chart please do NOT come to Idaho Falls. The predictions are that we will have something like 500,000 visitors in here to watch the "show." I am going to have days worth of food supply bought in advance and not venturing outside except for 10 minutes out on the front porch to see the final eclipse.

As far as drone shots. Every Tom, ****, and Harry is going to be shooting video and pictures and they'll be idiots all over. I think the BEST drone shot my just be of all the idiots....lol

For anyone planning to watch the eclipse, I highly recommend this NASA Interactive Map website. NASA - Total Solar Eclipse of 2017 Aug 21

As an amateur astronomer, I would advise AGAINST filming or photographing this event. It will be a waste of time and distract you from best experiencing this event. Use your eyeballs with solar filters if you really want to look at the sun. It's OK to look at the sun during totality. Personally, I expect most of my observing will be looking down, not up. I want to see shadows on the ground, the behavior of animals (including people), temperature changes, etc.

Reactions: Russell
This is very true even if you're shooting a 99% eclipse with a tiny crescent but if you're lucky enough to be in the path of totality you will not need any filter during that brief window - using a filter would likely make it impossible to get enough light for an image. That of course only applies during totality and as soon as the sun peeps back out (even the tiniest spot) you're back into retina/sensor blinding territory.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18