Drone crashed after using RTH

If you read the crash experience of others on this forum and elsewhere you might be surprised how many AC are repaired/replaced under warranty.

There was no AC hardware/firmware failure here. Obstacle avoidance is not claimed to be effective in all circumstances. I’m not sure why you might expect DJI to cover this.

Start off flying LOS until you are comfortable and familiar with the AC performance, features and operation. There is little chance of these sort of incidents then.

Correct, a single tree limb or something of low contrast may not be as visible. Im sorry but a big dark tree in good visibility and light should have been detected. I'm not so sure why you think that shouldnt be detected and that its not a failure. I don't see how its normal to just reset settings on firmware updates. Ive never seen that in any device that ive own. Not my computer not my DSLR not my smartphone. All user settings always stayed in tact. It makes absolutely no sense for those settings that I put in my self personally to ever change no matter what. Just makes no sense. Its mind boggling that it should ever change outside of the pilot changing it.

Reactions: The Ghost
By all means plead your case with DJI- will be interesting to learn how they respond.

I suspect with RTH they will refer you to the cautions issued in the firmware update instructions.....

5F7F4CEB-917D-49DE-AFF2-A70769A02FF5.jpeg

They may also claim that the advisory messages delivered by the app in flight should have been considered.

By all means plead your case with DJI- will be interesting to learn how they respond.

I suspect with RTH they will refer you to the cautions issued in the firmware update instructions.....

View attachment 94288

They may also claim that the advisory messages delivered by the app in flight should have been considered.
Interesting that u did not see this pop up from the GO App. Did you find that in the GO App when doing the update or do you have to refer back to it on their website?

Sorry to hear about this mishap.

Do you not have the option for “smart RTH”?
Takes the same flight path you flew back to its home point and not to a specific RTH height set in the app.

It is BAD that they reset your settings after an update. No dispute there. But it is reality and must be planned for. It’s in the manual. When There are updates I go to this forum and research it before I update. Best not to update before a planned outing unless you are having severe issues.
Then always always do a preflight check including.
Max altitude check and recheck.
RTH altitude check and recheck.

I hope you have refresh insurance.

Ocu-Sync is a really good version of Lightbridge, very true. The integrity of the signal is strong and consistent, meaning the degradation of the signal is gradual with distance. Ocu-Sync also has something very unique, which other Lightbridge implementation don't. This is the ability to have multiple wireless receivers receive the video signal from the craft. No other DJI Lightbridge implementation can do that. DJI makes (but doesn't sell) a product called RoboMaster. It's a wall powered stand-alone Ocu-Sync receiver that can be linked to the craft that will decode the video stream from the craft and send the 720 resolution video out an HDMI port to a TV, as a second video display, separate from the iPad which is connected to the RC. This receiver can be a mile away from the RC, because it's a wireless connection DIRECT to the craft. This is the same principle as using DJI googles as a second display, linked directly to the craft. The video signal does NOT go through the controller, like Inspire for the second controller view. I hope, and expect Ocu-Sync will be implemented in a P5 design, hopefully coming out this year. DJI would be fools not to use Ocu-Sync in a P5, for compatibility with their DJI goggles. Then maybe they'll start selling RoboMaster, demonstrated at CES2016 with Mavic in the DJI flight cage.

Trivia to know: WiFi implementations (P3SE, Spark, Mavic Air, Yuneec and GoPro craft) that use TCP/IP protocol in their communications cannot connect to multiple clients from the craft like Ocu-Sync. WiFi is point to point only, without a router to help.

The P4 craft does not exhibit this same stable signal behavior as Ocu-Sync. The P4 controller (GL300C) has a control signal that's very fragile as you mention, signals can come and go spontaneously. This can be mitigated by using a GL658A Inspire controller with the P4, as I have been doing for the last 20 months.

The P4P is a yet another implementation of Lightbridge, adding 5.8Ghz to the options when flying. It's been established that 5.8Ghz AUTO is the best connection for the P4P with range of 4 to 5 mile in urban areas! I believe this works so well because there is less usage of 5.8Ghz WiFi in homes and businesses, and even then, if it is used, 5.8Ghz doesn't go through walls as easy as 2.4Ghz, keeping the flight area more clear of 5.8Ghz WiFi interference. My P4P flies 3 to 4mi away from home point all the time, it's a beast for range IMO. I never fly 2.4Ghz unless someone near me is flying 5.8Ghz, so I'll yield that band to the other pilot as long as I'm not flying too far away. Flying on different bands is good practice if there's only two flying near each other, which helps mitigate interference. I use a stock GL300F with my P4P and it exhibits good signal integrity, a stable signal almost as good a Ocu-Sync. I'll use a windsurfer when I plan to fly more than 2 miles away. The P4P is an incredible craft IMO, I'm pretty happy with it's capabilities, especially the new found freedoms of 1.3.509 craft firmware. It's my go to craft for most flights. Although my Mavic has great range and flight time, it gets neglected, mostly because of the lesser camera.

Thank you for your time and elaboration, John.

However, I still have doubts on your claim that "I can't remember the last time I've lost a connection with my P4P," if you are indeed using a stock (GL300F) RC. The "usefulness" of the so-called “windsurfer" reflectors, which seems to defy physics laws, could also be exaggerated. Considering the wavelengths of 2.4 and 5.8 GHz EM wave are 12.5cm and 5.2cm, respectively, why would a reflector of the SAME DIMENSION be effective at all??? (see Chinese-language test video below)

There are a number of Youtube videos (see links below) from people on various continents demonstrating P4P connection with a stock RC is quick to disappear, even over short distances, leave alone over 2, 3 or 4 miles. I myself have gone beyond 7.5 km with 5.8GHz, but never had a trip without disconnections, esp. after RTH is initiated (see also Why signals become terrible after RTH is initiated? ).

Extreme Range Test of DJI Phantom 4 Pro: How far can it fly?

CHALLENGE: can I fly my drone 8 km to my holiday house and land it on the terrace?

Chinese-language test video on "windsurfers”
)

There are a number of Youtube videos (see links below) from people on various continents demonstrating P4P connection with a stock RC is quick to disappear,
It's important to realize different continents are restricted to CE compliance for RF signal strength, which is a weaker signal than FCC compliance. That's a big difference. DJI controllers will sense their location with GPS and automatically detune the RC and craft to CE compliance with less power. Non-FCC scenarios are not relevant to this conversation. Also, if they aren't flying 5.8Ghz, that's non relevant, as that band seems to work better for reasons I've already explained, IMO. If you aren't using Windsurfer when flying 5.8Ghz, FCC P4Ps can typically get about 2mi range fairly reliably, assuming the pilots knows how to fly, meaning, NOTHING between them and the craft. If they fly without CLEAR LOS to the craft, it's non relevant to this conversation. The height you fly matters a lot too, if you fly only 50', you won't go as far. If you fly from up high on a mountain and fly down below, you can fly farther at lower altitudes. So either the RC or the craft need to be high to optimize the signal connection, say 150 to 200', the higher the better for a good connection.

As for me remembering my last disconnect, it's been over 6mos, and frankly I can't remember flights that aren't eventful, and auto RTH would be an event I would remember because I get ticked. That said, I do watch my signal bars when I fly on the fringe, preventing auto RTH. You never know when a rogue signal is going to ruin your day. You won't find me flying long distances to trigger RTH, you only find me flying long distances to capture a photo or video of interesting POI's. When I do a long range mission I make sure I have LOS clearance with my planned route. I use Google 3D maps to confirm that, especially when I do mountain missions, which is my favorite.

The windsurfer is not affected by the frequency. It merely reflects signals of any wavelength to the antenna. The windsurfer is about 4X wider than the antenna, so the metal on the parabolic surface bounces more signal to the antenna. In addition, any interference from rogue WiFi signals that are originating from behind you will be shielded away from the RC antenna, which could potentially interfere with your video reception. As for the transmit side, when signals go out, no signal will be wasted transmitted behind you where it does no good. Most all of the signal will be reflected FORWARD, in front of you toward the craft, assuming you are paying attention to where the craft is and pointing the Windsurfer in that general direction. The Windsurfer is much like a dish antenna on your home. It's a parabolic metal reflector that it directional. It gathers signals, reflects them and focuses toward the receiver.

Could the windsurfer be optimized for higher gain? Yes. RF GUY who used to post here is an RF engineer. He said the typical Windsurfer that's sold would be more optimal if the distance between the antenna and the reflector was around 2", but to do that the reflector would have to be a lot wider, and that's impossible with the spacing of DJI antenna's in stock form. However, the added efficiency wouldn't be much, but it would be better. The Windsurfer is one of the best values for DJI accessories IMO, they really work well, and you can test this yourself to prove it, when you get one.

Last edited:
I don't see how its normal to just reset settings on firmware updates. Ive never seen that in any device that ive own. Not my computer not my DSLR not my smartphone.
You're assuming DJI is like other companies. They aren't. Their s/w dept has always lacked, IMO. That said, they are still the best drone company in the world!

You're assuming DJI is like other companies. They aren't.
Ive been told and seen online that they are very difficult to work with. I guess because they sell morr units than anyone else that there will be more negativity than anyone else. More volume, more activity. I guess ill see what they come up with... Still bummed.....

Ive been told and seen online that they are very difficult to work with. I guess because they sell morr units than anyone else that there will be more negativity than anyone else. More volume, more activity. I guess ill see what they come up with... Still bummed.....
Make sure you show them EVERYTHING, including the video you captured, which I assume was running when it hit the tree. Praise their craft with optimism with a good attitude, but ask them what you did wrong, why didn't it stop for the tree with OA enabled? Maybe they will feel sorry for you and grant coverage, however don't count on it.

I've had another friend that OA didn't work and he crashed, potentially because of low ambient light. DJI told him that OA failure is not covered under warranty due to the nature of the technology doesn't always work in certain lighting conditions (pointing toward the sun), smaller objects like small tree limbs with no leaves, wires, etc. However in his case he had control of the craft, you did not. If your settings were correct with OA behavior on RTH, maybe they will help you out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Some wise man on this forum told me early on if you can’t afford to fix em you can’t afford to fly them. I’ve had one pilot error crash and one they covered. I did get caught in a tree as well but was able to retrieve it without damage.
Sorry about your crash and I hope you come out on top with DJI.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ghost
Some wise man on this forum told me early on if you can’t afford to fix em you can’t afford to fly them. I’ve had one pilot error crash and one they covered. I did get caught in a tree as well but was able to retrieve it without damage.
Sorry about your crash and I hope you come out on top with DJI.
I own 20k in photography equipment. I can afford it. Doesnt mean I want to...

Definitely plead your case as I’ve read stories about DJI fixing or replacing when I didn’t think they would. I’ve also read where they give you a discount on new drone. Either way good luck. [emoji111]️[emoji256][emoji573]

NeverMindYourOwn said he did similar return to home attempt previously at same location but failed possibly dues to different weather conditions.

Humidity does affect radio signal in some extend but how it goes with our RC? Do you guys take in account weather conditions for RF performance and distance? Any recommendation?

NeverMindYourOwn said he did similar return to home attempt previously at same location but failed possibly dues to different weather conditions.

Humidity does affect radio signal in some extend but how it goes with our RC? Do you guys take in account weather conditions for RF performance and distance? Any recommendation?

Humidity absolutely plays a role in EM signal attenuation. It would be nice to find a roof top to launch the P4P with unobstructed view over an area one wants to fly over.

Even with vertical takeoff and zero distance, the P4P cannot maintain connections with RC at a height of 480m with RC antenna pointing horizontally (i.e., maxim strength). NeverMindYourOwn's videos (there are many of them, and he flies only P4P lately) demonstrated how easy the connection can be lost even around 1-2 miles. We hope John Locke could use videos to substantiate his claims: 1) his RC-P4P signal connection is so robust that he never lost RC connection over a 6-month period; 2) those goofy looking "reflectors" can actually ”strengthen“ RC signal. The aforementioned Chinese-language video actually showed the reflectors ruin the signal connection, and by getting ride of them, the weak connection immediately improves, which makes sense since the size of the reflectors barely matches the wavelength of 5.8 GHz EM wave.

Chinese-language test video on the HARMFULNESS of the so-called "windsurfers” reflectors
)

It's important to realize different continents are restricted to CE compliance for RF signal strength, which is a weaker signal than FCC compliance.

I believe those Chinese drone hobbyists in the video (maybe also NeverMindYourOwn) learned how to edit the .DJI.configs file to fly with FCC compliance long ago. In fact, they live in the same southern Chinese city of Shenzhen DaJiang Innovation is headquartered, and perhaps some of them even work for DJI full time.

Humidity absolutely plays a role in EM signal attenuation. It would be nice to find a roof top to launch the P4P with unobstructed view over an area one wants to fly over.

Even with vertical takeoff and zero distance, the P4P cannot maintain connections with RC at a height of 480m with RC antenna pointing horizontally (i.e., maxim strength). NeverMindYourOwn's videos (there are many of them, and he flies only P4P lately) demonstrated how easy the connection can be lost even around 1-2 miles. We hope John Locke could use videos to substantiate his claims: 1) his RC-P4P signal connection is so robust that he never lost RC connection over a 6-month period; 2) those goofy looking "reflectors" can actually ”strengthen“ RC signal. The aforementioned Chinese-language video actually showed the reflectors ruin the signal connection, and by getting ride of them, the weak connection immediately improves, which makes sense since the size of the reflectors barely matches the wavelength of 5.8 GHz EM wave.

Chinese-language test video on the HARMFULNESS of the so-called "windsurfers” reflectors
)
Henrich Hertz, the father of radio waves, wouldn’t agree with you. His first antenna where parabolic reflectors with a spark gap as the driven element.

Your knowledge of RF seems to be limited to yagi antennas where the passive elements and their spacing with respect to the driven elements need to have a direct relationship to the wavelength of design frequency, usually 1/2.

A parabolic reflector is analogous to a reflector in a car headlight or flashlight, it reflects and focusses the RF. It doesn’t even need to be a multiple of a wavelength away from the driven element, what is important is that the antenna is at the focal point of the reflector, in this instance a parabola.

In your 480m direct overhead example you might have missed the fact that while your controller antennas may be oriented nicely lying flat the AC antennas are 90deg out of polarisation and in the weakest possible orientation for radiation pattern.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart