Drone crashed after using RTH

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here. Was on about my 5th flight and i lost signal and then used my RTH feature. Not sure what happened but on its way back it just decided to ram into a tree. It juste doesn't make sense. I also increased the RTH Altitude the other day to 120m and for some reason it changed back to its default setting of 30m. Not only that but the sensors failed to work and I was lucky it didn't go into the water and found it land at the bottom of some pines damaged pretty good. gimbal is broke including the strip, the landing gear is broke, prop latch is broke. motors seem to work fine though. I uploaded the .txt file and .dat file. I filed a claim with DJI. Hoping for the best. All I know is i hit the return to home button and I waited for it to come back until i saw that it said disconnected.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-01-31_[15-16-20].txt
    734 KB · Views: 494
  • 18-01-31-03-16-20_FLY012.DAT
    2 MB · Views: 622
According to the flight record the max flight and RTH altitudes were both set to 30m with the max flight altitude being altered to 120m before launch. The AC was never going to climb above 30m for RTH and consequently started making its way home at 38.5m above your launch point being the altitude of connection loss (as should be expected for RTH behaviour).

Your battery was 12.9 deg C at launch. While the temp had no impact on the outcome here I would try and get the battery above 20 deg C before flying.

According to the flight record the max flight and RTH altitudes were both set to 30m with the max flight altitude being altered to 120m before launch. The AC was never going to climb above 30m for RTH and consequently started making its way home at 38.5m above your launch point being the altitude of connection loss (as should be expected for RTH behaviour).

Your battery was 12.9 deg C at launch. While the temp had no impact on the outcome here I would try and get the battery above 20 deg C before flying.
Odd because I changed both to 120m and never changed it back. Something other than me changed it back. I never went back into those settings to default it back. In fact my last flight rose to 120 when I used RTH. Also the sensors didn't detect the tree or try to go higher to avoid collision. I never had any problem with RTH before this flight.

I'm hoping DJI will do something about this.

I hope DJI does something for you. Replay the flight in the go app and see what if any warnings are displayed. Right at the start of the flight (before you took off) the log records there was a RTH changed to 30m warning.

You need to be really on the ball with changing settings. I tend to go in and check the setting after changing to make sure it sticks.

Reactions: MDSkyView
I hope DJI does something for you. Replay the flight in the go app and see what if any warnings are displayed. Right at the start of the flight (before you took off) the log records there was a RTH changed to 30m warning.

You need to be really on the ball with changing settings. I tend to go in and check the setting after changing to make sure it sticks.
The warning only came up when I hit the return to home button. I didn't realize until after. The trees were only a meters away. And when I watch the video it was coming back and then it stopped and then it turned amd went straight for the trees. Luckily I had tracked it down. But there's a good crack in the leg, the gimbal broke and the electronic strip ripped. Motors seem to work fine. I'm just very very upset. I even contacted B&H video Where I bought it because I've had it like 10 days only.

Reactions: yevanisgarcia
Odd because I changed both to 120m and never changed it back. Something other than me changed it back. I never went back into those settings to default it back. In fact my last flight rose to 120 when I used RTH. Also the sensors didn't detect the tree or try to go higher to avoid collision. I never had any problem with RTH before this flight.

I'm hoping DJI will do something about this.

The flight log, unfortunately, tells a different story. It indicates that the flight started with maximum height and RTH set to 30 m, and that you changed the maximum height to 120 m just before takeoff. If you did that but did not check and adjust the RTH height then I'd be surprised if DJI accepts responsibility, although it is worth asking. If you have upgraded the firmware then that is one possible cause of those parameters being reset. As for the sensors, they are not very effective against thin tree branches, and are not intended to compensate for lack of flight planning.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Very often with a Go4 app upgrade, the settings will revert to the factory default, hence 30m RTH. This is exactly why you should turn off auto updates, which can surprise you because you weren't notified of the auto update. You should never update anything unless you have a compelling reason to update, software or firmware, IMO. You should NOT UPDATE thinking that you get to have the latest and greatest for free. That's what DJI wants you to think so you'll update, but DJI updates are often laced with things you may not want. With each update, DJI has been known to add things to an app that are often undesirable. So before deciding to update anything, READ AND READ this forum to determine what each update changes, and what new restrictions they have introduced. DJI is not good about telling all, they will hide things they have done, and only flying with the apps will reveal the things they don't want you to know about before updating, because if you knew the full truth, many folks wouldn't update.

Very often with a Go4 app upgrade, the settings will revert to the factory default, hence 30m RTH. This is exactly why you should turn off auto updates, which can surprise you because you weren't notified of the auto update. You should never update anything unless you have a compelling reason to update, software or firmware, IMO. You should NOT UPDATE thinking that you get to have the latest and greatest for free. That's what DJI wants you to think so you'll update, but DJI updates are often laced with things you may not want. With each update, DJI has been known to add things to an app that are often undesirable. So before deciding to update anything, READ AND READ this forum to determine what each update changes, and what new restrictions they have introduced. DJI is not good about telling all, they will hide things they have done, and only flying with the apps will reveal the things they don't want you to know about before updating, because if you knew the full truth, many folks wouldn't update.
Yea well they're gonna feel my wrath if they choose not to cover this

This is all that popped up them made a B line to the tree.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-01-02-11-07.png
    Screenshot_2018-02-01-02-11-07.png
    786.5 KB · Views: 679

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart