Drone auto landed on low battery.

Reaction score
Haven't flow for a year. I was asked to do a demo for a high school ROTC class. Broke out the Phantom 3 Advanced. Updated software and firmware to latest version. Did a couple of short hovers in the backyard. Everything was good. Flew for the class. When battery reached 30% low battery level, the P3 immediately landed itself. As it was only about 20 feet up, there was not time to cancel. Came down fast, but did a soft landing of the football field. I did an engine restart and flew it back to me. The whole time on the flight back it was beeping at me. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the screen for messages.

I don't remember getting the "home point set" message or the typical preflight screen before take off. If home point was set for a location miles away, would the P3 land on low battery? I don't know what my battery % was, but about 2 minutes before it was 50%. My settings are 30% low and 10% critical. Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

If the battery has seen no activity for a year it might have cells out of balance or worse. Instead of your regular "Low Battery" situation you could have had a battery fault. Your DJI logs will tell you pretty much what warnings/errors were actually happening.

My settings are 30% low and 10% critical.
Those settings do not affect the critically low battery behavior. When the Phantom determines the battery is critically low, it'll auto land at its current location.

You can upload and view your TXT flight log online here. If you need help reviewing it, please post a link back here.

Reactions: BigAl07
Haven't flow for a year. I was asked to do a demo for a high school ROTC class. Broke out the Phantom 3 Advanced. Updated software and firmware to latest version. Did a couple of short hovers in the backyard. Everything was good. Flew for the class. When battery reached 30% low battery level, the P3 immediately landed itself. As it was only about 20 feet up, there was not time to cancel. Came down fast, but did a soft landing of the football field. I did an engine restart and flew it back to me. The whole time on the flight back it was beeping at me. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the screen for messages.

I don't remember getting the "home point set" message or the typical preflight screen before take off. If home point was set for a location miles away, would the P3 land on low battery? I don't know what my battery % was, but about 2 minutes before it was 50%. My settings are 30% low and 10% critical. Any thoughts on where I went wrong?
Yip always wait for home point set before takeoff,,I use same battery settings only had one issue,,told me it was flat but landed with 30%power ,,flight data not explain why this happen it just guessed it....beeping when you fly back after re take off is flat battery alert

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z