Drone aerial footage business?

First of all, you need to take flying more seriously for the benefit of the rest of us. WE DON'T LIKE what you're saying about your business intention because it puts us at risk of you doing something irresponsible, and flying over or near a crowd of people is highly irresponsible and dangerous!

To learn more of the details of the required 333 exemptions, pilots license, N Number registration, liability insurance ($1500/yr with 333 exemption) and other business related requirements for commercial aerial video work, you might want to listen to the multirotorpodcast.com on this subject. Start at episode 50 thru present, they talk about all these issues. These two guys are commercial aerial video veterans.

Right now is not the time to be jumping into any business endeavor involving drone video shoots, unless you're a licensed pilot. It's best to wait for the new rulings next year from the FAA that will hopefully create an authorization process (class, written test, flight text) to do commercial work, negating today's need for a pilot license.

I've applied for a 333 exemption (anyone can get one), however I will need an N number next (easy), and then I will need to have a licensed pilot with me to fly when I do commercial work. Having my friend pilot is a real hassle. I'm waiting for the new rules because I never plan to get a pilot license. Most of those "in the know" say the pilot license requirement will be replaced with something else next year, however that could be a year away. By that time you'll be a better drone pilot and know more about the details of this kind of business.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff
333 Exemption issues aside, the way I see it, either you create a marketable product or you don't. People are not going to pay you much for raw footage. Your final product will dictate the price. Your cost, your effort, your time shooting and your time editing and what the product will be used for all must be considered. I can tell you that the Real Estate "people" have been put on notice by their own national organization's legal team. Most know now all about the requirements of the FAA Section 333 Exemption necessary for commercial aerial photography/video. I live is the northeast and I am preparing myself for business come spring. My 333 should be here soon, sadly not for Christmas. I have been reaching out to all the Realtor's in my area trying to build a future clientele. I have been asked, first question, "do you have a 333 exemption?" Although, Real Estate product is just one part of what I plan/hope to provide, I can say THAT market is becoming aware of the requirements.

Flying over people at a music festival without any permission? You might get away with it. A few times even. But that one time that something happens, and someone is injured, the wall will come down upon you from all sides. UNLESS you have coordinated with the property owners and their insurance policy as well as all the spectators your flying over. I mean it could be done legally. I don't think you could get an insurance company to insure your flying over spectators at an event. Maybe?

I think if people really want an aerial camera that can work over crowds, they should develop a little baby blimp (ala William Gibson's 'God's little toy' in Pattern Recognition). Something with a more benign failure mode than a quadcopter.
Blimps with a benign failure mode? Like the Hindenburg? (Just kidding)

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just wondering how easy it is for someone with a drone to offer aerial photography to businesses or people. Like maybe an event, wedding, real estate, etc. And how would you charge someone for aerial photage? Like do you charge by the time you spend or do you charge by the amount of video/pics you get?

I'm just starting out so I'm learning how to fly my DJI Phantom 3 Standard first. Then once I feel I get the hang of it and figure how to record footage, how much memory I need, how to transfer them, then would wanna consider doing it as a side business. Nothing crazy serious, but something like an uber where it's not so complicated to get started. Plus I would rather get paid to fly a drone than drive around all day, plus the risk is much lower because the worst that can happens is I lose a $700 drone, which is much better than getting into a bad accident in a car.

But can me with just a DJI Standard offer any kind of service, like something super cheap compared to those who may charge a premium to use the large professional drones with RED cameras on them? I am sure the Standard would be enough to have clear crisp footage that doesn't need a professional to operate. At least that way the drone can pay for itself. Wouldn't mind charging something dirt cheap like $30-50 for a few hours, or maybe trade. I may do it for free if it's a charity event and donate my time.

I also have a friend who is a rising EDM artist and he does plenty of outdoor festival events with large crowds who show up to his sets. I would offer him drone footage of his sets if he would take me backstage, and it would be a fun experience to fly over a bunch of people. Not sure if an artist can just take a buddy with a drone or if I would have to go through event organizers to be allowed to fly the thing over a huge crowd like this:

Hey dude,

so check out this course.

Module #5 The Drone Business <-- Link 3

He goes in depth on getting your section 333 and doing everything legally (Includes a prefilled out 333 in the course). I was asking about it on forums and ended up taking the leap. He includes client contracts, check lists and a whole bunch of other stuff you'll need if you are interested in the drone business. I've really enjoyed it.

I'm actually currently making about $500 a month in 10 hours of work every now and then with some realtors :) Something to think about!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl