Drone acting weird bought it used

Reaction score
So first is the camera it always says there a obstruction in the gimbal which there is not so i cant use the wheel on the remote to control it smoothly after doing some configuring in the assistant software i get it to move but seems like its struggling next is this this wants to fly away constantly ill get it to a height and wait to to get all the gps signals and home lock and it just shoots off like something else is controlling it i did a imu config in assistant i do the dance but it always is off it goes straight up fine but when it hovers it wont stay in spot.

I never used a phantom 2... I bought the phantom 3 standard brand new and never had issues with it. Make sure that the drone is not broke, specially the propellers.

So first is the camera it always says there a obstruction in the gimbal which there is not so i cant use the wheel on the remote to control it smoothly after doing some configuring in the assistant software i get it to move but seems like its struggling next is this this wants to fly away constantly ill get it to a height and wait to to get all the gps signals and home lock and it just shoots off like something else is controlling it i did a imu config in assistant i do the dance but it always is off it goes straight up fine but when it hovers it wont stay in spot.
HI make sure you got GPS before take off...I don't have p2 either but I wait with my others..have you done the compass....

yes ive done it all it seems once its in the air it loses gps and tries to fly where it wants

Hi Netbeast,

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I have a Phantom 2 (bought just a few months ago) and there was quite a learning curve for me.

Forgive me if I am asking about things you have done - probably more than once! And I am sure you have read the manual, viewed some youtube videos, and got a lot of ideas here. I hope I am not wasting your time.

Do you have it in Phantom or NAZA mode? Your light patterns will be different for the different modes. Why is that important? You will want to make sure you have a good GPS lock and it knows where home is. So stay in Phantom Mode while you figure out what may be wrong.

You did a bunch of stuff ..... but I am gonna say lets start over and do in a given order. Yes you have done these, but lets isolate/eliminate the variables.
1. go into the controller assistant (RC) and callibrate your controller.
2. go into Phantom assistant. You have to have created an account with DJI as going into the Assistant your hookup will link to DJI and if there is an update to firmware it will let you know. Then:
a. make sure it is in Phantom mode - upper right of Assistant screen button says Phantom. If not, it will say NAZA. Go back into Phantom by clicking that button.
b. in the VIEW screen, run the sticks of your controller and make sure the arrows move to the extremes and then rest in the middle (you are verifying the controller calibration), and look at the IOC window and make sure it says NONE
c. go into "tools" window and do the IMU calibration - Advanced. Do it on a LEVEL surface. Yep real level.
3. take it out and do your compass calibration

I am suspecting you have the controller on first, both switches up and the Phantom is flashing green lights on the rear legs and off the front legs. When you spool up the motors, the front legs will be flashing red. At this point you are ready to go. Try it.

Thats all for starters. But sometimes doing stuff in a given order may help eliminate variables. Best of luck and come back and let us know how it went. There are others who know a whole lot more about things when they go wrong than I do; I am just getting you to that point cleanly. And if there is any luck at all, you solved your problem by doing the above stuff.

Just so we know which Phantom 2 you have here are two photos pick the one which you have. If you own the P2 vision you posted in the wrong thread and would the help need from those who own the same unit faster then you will here in the P2 non vision threads.

P2 non-vision
Phantom 2 NV.jpg

P2 vision plus
Phantom 2 vision.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl