DOT/FAA Drone Reg Press Conference Live Stream

"When drones are criminalized, only criminals will have drones."

"Registration is the first step toward confiscation!"

"You will get my drone when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

"Drones don't near miss aircraft, people near miss aircraft".

Or something like that.

Have I forgotten anything?

One of the newer ones is "30 millions drones were used safely and responsibly today" The others are the main ones though ;-)

Reactions: Jeff48920
I think someone should investigate the "claims" of near miss encounters. I seriously doubt they are anywhere near what is being reported. In fact I saw an interesting article about this recently as well. I think someone needs to submit this to MythBusters. What can a little plastic drone really do to an airliner anyway.

And if they do regulate, really it should be classified by size and weight (class) of a drone. A large commercial drone can do far more damage than a P2 or P3.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
green, Larry, and Phoenix, I am pretty much in agreement with your posts. My first thought was the gun registration battle that has been raging for years. I own multiple weapons, am a certified (USMC) expert with all of them, and have no problem with registering them even if it is not legally required yet. My dear brother can say much of the same (I hate to admit it but he is a better shot), except he is diametrically opposed to any registration. (My sister-in-law will not allow a gun registration conversation in the house!) We could continue to use the gun analogy, but I believe motor vehicle registration is a more appropriate point of reference; and we can avoid the passions that gun control discussions bring out in people.

What I heard during the presentation was an exercise in avoiding answers and avoiding responsibility. I also heard a bunch of high paid federal government employees trying (but failing miserably) to justify their reason to be as well as making an enormous power grab. I have had to deal with the VA for a number of years, so it wasn't too difficult to spot the BS.

What bothered me most of all was references to coordination/involvement with law enforcement-local and federal. We have way to many examples of escalation of routine police-citizen encounters which have led to death of the citizen over some really petty offenses--like flashing high beams. Right now, the FAA has civil jurisdiction over aircraft and US air space. These folks want to criminalize what most of us consider to be a hobby (I have no idea what the ratio is between commercial users and recreational users. Anyone that does would do us all a great service by posting that information.) That bothers the hell out of me. I can easily envision violent encounters due to misunderstanding and misinterpretation of hazy vague laws and regulations, and/or just plain abuse of power by some LEOs who shouldn't have the job to begin with. When you have potentially thousands of dollars on the other end of a radio signal, being harassed by some Dudley Doolittle or Barney Fife or worse yet-Roger Ramjet who doesn't know or understand civil aviation laws and regulations or harbors a personal bias against the sound or perceived privacy violations, the potential for an escalating confrontation increases by the second.

From the beginning of my involvement with my UAVs (P2V+), I have resented having them referred to as "drones." For the last decade, the nightly news has been saturated with FPV of military drones (the proper use of the term--drone) raining death and destruction on unsuspecting people from above. Unfortunately, recently substantiated revelations show that only 1 in 9 of the persons killed by military drones were the actual targets. Due to the general public's ignorance, fueled by what I believe is an intentional effort to demonize the term "drone," these bureaucrats (many of which know far less than the average PP member) are going to run amok with regulations and restrictions to the point that our UAVs will rapidly become virtually unusable legally. We are going to be continually bombarded with unsubstantiated statistics like those referred to in the linked article. On top of all there is the Audi A6 ad showing people being attacked by hoards of small black UAVs. There will be a slew of anecdotal incidents reported like the airline pilot who supposedly observed a UAV flying far below him while his speed was something like 250-300 mph--yeah right!

Owners are not completely blameless in this as some have done some really really stupid (read reckless and unsafe) things and then posted them on YouTube and Facebook. We, as reasonable and responsible pilots, need to call them out when given the chance. I recently saw a YT video of an owner of a new P3 flying the damned thing inside what looked like an apartment with his children running around at the same time. I called him out on it, and he responded by saying he was a very experienced UAV pilot so his children were not in danger. BS! We all know every DJI product is perfect when it leaves the factory, right? No chance that he might lose control through no fault of his own and injure his children, right? Naturally, I got flamed big time.

So initially I wouldn't have a problem with registration or even with a safety class or two; but I just know it won't stop there. Licenses, liability insurance, maintenance records, flight logs, medical (eyes) exams if LOS is rigorously enforced, and airworthiness certifications will all follow at some point. A perfect example is the current fight over private citizens' data encryption on their personal digital devices. Apple and Google are fighting the DOJ's demand for a back door, but do you honestly believe DJI would do the same? Another is the DMCA which gave private companies the authority (as opposed to the right) to enter your home and confiscate your computer if the copyright owner believes you (or just someone with access to your IP) had illegally downloaded the last episode of G of Thrones. If you really want to get your panties in a twist, actually read the unclassified version of the Patriot Act. If your hair isn't already gray like mine, it will be by the time you finish. Historically, societies have not had their rights forcibly taken from them very often; the norm is to voluntarily relinquish rights one or two at a time frequently based on irrational FEAR of some perceived or purposely manufactured threat. With our government so completely dysfunctional (the yo-yos making this announcement are living breathing proof of it), we are in a severe cycle of doing just that. While mandatory UAV registration isn't a horrific civil rights violation, a full blown revolution starts with a single shot; and we're way past that point!

I'm not much of a joiner, but with this regulation crap on the horizon, I am looking for the best (politically strongest) organization to join and support. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Semper Fi!

I have been around for almost 70 years now and I find that most agency actions [in the US] are to keep themselves out of risk. Rarely, do they actually want to solve a problem, just stay away from the bomb blast during the post event inquiry. This action certainly fits that mold. But, they took action and all is well in BureaucratLand. We can all sleep well again.

Reactions: SteveMann
green, Larry, and Phoenix, I am pretty much in agreement with your posts. My first thought was the gun registration battle that has been raging for years. I own multiple weapons, am a certified (USMC) expert with all of them, and have no problem with registering them even if it is not legally required yet. My dear brother can say much of the same (I hate to admit it but he is a better shot), except he is diametrically opposed to any registration. (My sister-in-law will not allow a gun registration conversation in the house!) We could continue to use the gun analogy, but I believe motor vehicle registration is a more appropriate point of reference; and we can avoid the passions that gun control discussions bring out in people.

What I heard during the presentation was an exercise in avoiding answers and avoiding responsibility. I also heard a bunch of high paid federal government employees trying (but failing miserably) to justify their reason to be as well as making an enormous power grab. I have had to deal with the VA for a number of years, so it wasn't too difficult to spot the BS.

What bothered me most of all was references to coordination/involvement with law enforcement-local and federal. We have way to many examples of escalation of routine police-citizen encounters which have led to death of the citizen over some really petty offenses--like flashing high beams. Right now, the FAA has civil jurisdiction over aircraft and US air space. These folks want to criminalize what most of us consider to be a hobby (I have no idea what the ratio is between commercial users and recreational users. Anyone that does would do us all a great service by posting that information.) That bothers the hell out of me. I can easily envision violent encounters due to misunderstanding and misinterpretation of hazy vague laws and regulations, and/or just plain abuse of power by some LEOs who shouldn't have the job to begin with. When you have potentially thousands of dollars on the other end of a radio signal, being harassed by some Dudley Doolittle or Barney Fife or worse yet-Roger Ramjet who doesn't know or understand civil aviation laws and regulations or harbors a personal bias against the sound or perceived privacy violations, the potential for an escalating confrontation increases by the second.

From the beginning of my involvement with my UAVs (P2V+), I have resented having them referred to as "drones." For the last decade, the nightly news has been saturated with FPV of military drones (the proper use of the term--drone) raining death and destruction on unsuspecting people from above. Unfortunately, recently substantiated revelations show that only 1 in 9 of the persons killed by military drones were the actual targets. Due to the general public's ignorance, fueled by what I believe is an intentional effort to demonize the term "drone," these bureaucrats (many of which know far less than the average PP member) are going to run amok with regulations and restrictions to the point that our UAVs will rapidly become virtually unusable legally. We are going to be continually bombarded with unsubstantiated statistics like those referred to in the linked article. On top of all there is the Audi A6 ad showing people being attacked by hoards of small black UAVs. There will be a slew of anecdotal incidents reported like the airline pilot who supposedly observed a UAV flying far below him while his speed was something like 250-300 mph--yeah right!

Owners are not completely blameless in this as some have done some really really stupid (read reckless and unsafe) things and then posted them on YouTube and Facebook. We, as reasonable and responsible pilots, need to call them out when given the chance. I recently saw a YT video of an owner of a new P3 flying the damned thing inside what looked like an apartment with his children running around at the same time. I called him out on it, and he responded by saying he was a very experienced UAV pilot so his children were not in danger. BS! We all know every DJI product is perfect when it leaves the factory, right? No chance that he might lose control through no fault of his own and injure his children, right? Naturally, I got flamed big time.

So initially I wouldn't have a problem with registration or even with a safety class or two; but I just know it won't stop there. Licenses, liability insurance, maintenance records, flight logs, medical (eyes) exams if LOS is rigorously enforced, and airworthiness certifications will all follow at some point. A perfect example is the current fight over private citizens' data encryption on their personal digital devices. Apple and Google are fighting the DOJ's demand for a back door, but do you honestly believe DJI would do the same? Another is the DMCA which gave private companies the authority (as opposed to the right) to enter your home and confiscate your computer if the copyright owner believes you (or just someone with access to your IP) had illegally downloaded the last episode of G of Thrones. If you really want to get your panties in a twist, actually read the unclassified version of the Patriot Act. If your hair isn't already gray like mine, it will be by the time you finish. Historically, societies have not had their rights forcibly taken from them very often; the norm is to voluntarily relinquish rights one or two at a time frequently based on irrational FEAR of some perceived or purposely manufactured threat. With our government so completely dysfunctional (the yo-yos making this announcement are living breathing proof of it), we are in a severe cycle of doing just that. While mandatory UAV registration isn't a horrific civil rights violation, a full blown revolution starts with a single shot; and we're way past that point!

I'm not much of a joiner, but with this regulation crap on the horizon, I am looking for the best (politically strongest) organization to join and support. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Semper Fi!
OOHRAH !

I think someone should investigate the "claims" of near miss encounters. I seriously doubt they are anywhere near what is being reported. In fact I saw an interesting article about this recently as well. I think someone needs to submit this to MythBusters. What can a little plastic drone really do to an airliner anyway.
Lots of people have commented on the FAA database .. like this: Cloudy FAA data skews drone threat

The AMA released an official analysis that points out how flawed the FAA data is.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/docs/AMAAnalysis-Closer-Look-at-FAA-Drone-Data_091415.pdf

Anyone can see for themselves that the FAA records are full of junk.
Here are just a few obvious ones from just 2 weeks. These are actual FAA database records.
Note the lack of important detail. These are what the FAA calls near-miss incidents and what they are using to whip up fear.
There's everything from flying dishwashers at 10K feet to $50 toys at the Washington Monument.
Very few real drones and even less genuine near miss incidents but the FAA feeds this crap to a hungry media with lines like:
Pilot reports of close calls with drones soar in 2015.
It's FAA manufactured hysteria.

All the scary talk about drone-aircraft interaction and FAA encouraging pilots to report is making pilots "see" a lot more drones than are really there.
Drones have become the new UFOs
i-qHLZzBx-XL.jpg

Reactions: 750r
I agree. There is a whole bunch of, "Me Too!" going on. There are some real idiots out there, but I think most of us don't have unlimited funds to keep replacing Phantoms after losing them doing stupid things. There are plenty of very stiff tort statutes covering damages caused by reckless behavior. If your actions are very reckless, there are severe criminal charges also.

Join a local heli flying club and have a place to fly any time without fear of reprisal. It's a lot of fun, without the hassle. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Join a local heli flying club and have a place to fly any time without fear of reprisal. It's a lot of fun, without the hassle. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I wish that were true. There is always a fear of reprisals even if you are flying over your own property. I fully expect to be reported for flying within FAA guidelines over my place because it is a favorite destination for small aircraft to practice low altitude flights.
One of the local RC clubs is within 2 miles of a prison and believe me, drone flights WILL be reported to the FAA as endangering the sanctity of the prison "airspace".

So, I know our 3 lb dji quadcopters are a tremendous danger to our national airspace. Who knows, we might take down a 747.... don't think so. Ever seen the tests they put these planes through feeding dead chickens and turkeys into the intake to make sure the engines can withstand chance of ingesting a goose or two. Sure in the past there has been some planes that were downed hitting a flock of geese.
Is a jet turbine model airplane going to fall into the unmanned drone category? They'll fly at over 200mph with 20 foot wingspans. And, as far as I know, they don't have return home capabilities if they lose radio contact.
First they need to figure out exactly what and who they want to control before they jump in with both feet.
I live within the five mile radius of a major airport, why can't I fly my quad around my home under 100 feet. We can set up our controller to limit the ceiling. They're not any plane flying under 100 feet here..thank God. They'd be hitting cell towers if they did.

Reactions: redmoe
I have been around for almost 70 years now and I find that most agency actions [in the US] are to keep themselves out of risk. Rarely, do they actually want to solve a problem, just stay away from the bomb blast during the post event inquiry. This action certainly fits that mold. But, they took action and all is well in BureaucratLand. We can all sleep well again.
The role of a bureaucrat is to cover their *** first, then do their job.

Reactions: redmoe
So, I know our 3 lb dji quadcopters are a tremendous danger to our national airspace. Who knows, we might take down a 747.... don't think so. Ever seen the tests they put these planes through feeding dead chickens and turkeys into the intake to make sure the engines can withstand chance of ingesting a goose or two. Sure in the past there has been some planes that were downed hitting a flock of geese.
Is a jet turbine model airplane going to fall into the unmanned drone category? They'll fly at over 200mph with 20 foot wingspans. And, as far as I know, they don't have return home capabilities if they lose radio contact.
First they need to figure out exactly what and who they want to control before they jump in with both feet.
I live within the five mile radius of a major airport, why can't I fly my quad around my home under 100 feet. We can set up our controller to limit the ceiling. They're not any plane flying under 100 feet here..thank God. They'd be hitting cell towers if they did.
You can fly there, you just need to notify the tower.

Semper Fi!
Exactly! You made some great points. It might be different if it was just registration with the company you buy the UAS from. And then if you lost it they could still get it back to the owner because it was registered with the company. But having a large scale government registration will only lead to them wanting more. The more we let government step in the easier it is for them to step in on other items in the future. It's just a never ending spiral and the spiral is headed in the wrong direction.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

From Fox News reports as of early this morning, simple registration will not happen as most think. We will be required to PAY to take a test certifying that we have proper knowledge of our craft and the rules to fly them prior to registration. If you fail the test, no registration will be issued. It wasn't clear if this stipulation concerns ALL drones or those used for commercial use. Are they really sure all this will be enacted by November 20th, 2015?

Personally, my P3 always had my phone number & reward notification on it. That's good enough for me.

From Fox News reports as of early this morning, simple registration will not happen as most think. We will be required to PAY to take a test certifying that we have proper knowledge of our craft and the rules to fly them prior to registration. If you fail the test, no registration will be issued. It wasn't clear if this stipulation concerns ALL drones or those used for commercial use. Are they really sure all this will be enacted by November 20th, 2015?
What was announced yesterday is that the DOT is getting a taskforce together to see if they can work out a system that might work.
As of yesterday they didn't know what they were going to do or how to achieve it.
It sounds like Fox News is either confused about what the situation is, or knows what no-one else does. I know which I think is most likely.
You'd be a lot better off watching yesterday's press conference to see what has been announced.

Easy to do, if they answer the phone!
The current guideline is to just notify so if you can leave a message you are good. I'm prefer to make actual contact but it sounds like I have been fortunate as my local tower manager is pretty responsive.

What was announced yesterday is that the DOT is getting a taskforce together to see if they can work out a system that might work.
As of yesterday they didn't know what they were going to do or how to achieve it.
It sounds like Fox News is either confused about what the situation is, or knows what no-one else does. I know which I think is most likely.
You'd be a lot better off watching yesterday's press conference to see what has been announced.
I did watch it and sadly they seemed not to have all the answers yet either.

In another post someone said he already registered but paid a $10. fee? I would have referred you to that post but I don't know how to do that within these forums. [emoji53]

I registered, well... it's pending because I didn't fill out some parts of it. It was only $5 for me. They sent me a letter back telling me what I missed, and even gave me a phone number to call to talk to someone. Going to do that later today. The only bad thing is that you can't do it online. You need to ask them to send the form to you (you can do that online). They sent me 2 copies, I guess just in case I messed one up. You also have to include a long list of specific information, as well as have it notarized. I misplaced the link for all this, so I hope someone still has it...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl