DOT/FAA Drone Reg Press Conference Live Stream

“My gut feeling is that this is yet another way for the FAA to try to instill an unsubstantiated fear of drones in the public's mind, and to intimidate those who operate drones by making it appear as if they'd be able to track them down if they were to do something wrong. In reality, they can't and never will be able to do that. There will be far more drones in the sky than manned aircraft. The FAA does not now and never will have enough money or resources to contend with sheer volume of drones that will fill the skies in the years to come,” - Peter Sachs

U.S. Government to Require Drone Registrations | DroneWire

I'm sure all current owners want to run out and put their name on a gov't list someplace. What happens if/when we sell a drone on craigslist, how fast is our name going to come off that list?

I don't think he wanted to answer the last question. How will they obtain owner information if it is seen in restricted air space? Seeing it will not provide the information. They would either have to bring it down or have the info transmitted to them. Which is it?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I don't think he wanted to answer the last question. How will they obtain owner information if it is seen in restricted air space? Seeing it will not provide the information. They would either have to bring it down or have the info transmitted to them. Which is it?
That touched on Meta4's great question; kudos to that reporter!

He said that in most cases they have seen the drone but the problem was that they couldn't find the operator but registration will fix that.
If the hundreds of "near miss" incidents in the FAA database is the "problem " that needs a solution, good luck to the task force trying to work out how registration would make any difference.

From 33 mins in the video

Clearly they don't want to come out and say how pointless registration is. They only want to make it look like they are taking action. He had the nerve to say obtaining the drone would not be a problem. No one believes this.

My take... they don't care about being able to track the drone, they want everyone to go through the process so they can have some indication that everyone understands that there are regulations that apply to flying.

Its the same argument that gun haters use. They think a person that is a legal and safe thinking person is the same as a criminal unsafe person and need to be watched. If I am a unsafe drone operator, I am not, why would I get registered. I will buy a unregistered or home built or secondary market drone to get by the law. This just makes it harder for average safe operator to enjoy the hobby. I would agree with volunteer education classes for new operators or an online coarse before you order a drone, something educational and informative. Watch the next regulation will be insurance.

Its the same argument that gun haters use. They think a person that is a legal and safe thinking person is the same as a criminal unsafe person and need to be watched. If I am a unsafe drone operator, I am not, why would I get registered. I will buy a unregistered or home built or secondary market drone to get by the law. This just makes it harder for average safe operator to enjoy the hobby. I would agree with volunteer education classes for new operators or an online coarse before you order a drone, something educational and informative. Watch the next regulation will be insurance.
Probably have to pay a fee each year just so they can recover dollars spent on this task force.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Options
Let's not forget about registration fees and an overloading of an already incompetent Motor vehicle department. I so look forward to my visit to the social cesspool that is the DMV. I understand Xmas will bring a spike in purchases, but this only furthers peoples interest. LOOK SQUIRREL! why not wait until the FAA announces broader standards next year? This should be interesting.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Registration is STEP 01. I haven't seen if there is a fee involved, but it would be beneficial to prevent charging a person from registering.
Following steps will be the responsibility of the "task force". Bottom line: if you want to resolve the problem of matching a person to their drone, whether it crashes or not, the government will need to force industry to install transponders (TRIG or AIS-type for vessels at sea). The issue of buying/selling/switching ownership would most likely model the department of motor vehicles. Thoughts?

There's a fee for everything that gets processed through a government agency so it wouldn't surprise me. Transponders seem the next step i think your right. But with a million drones already sold in the US I don't see how the government's going to be able to handle the overwhelming flood of people in the DMV. Maybe some sort of online registration makes sense but sending a million people to a government agency seems like madness during the holidays.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
He said that in most cases they have seen the drone but the problem was that they couldn't find the operator but registration will fix that.
If the hundreds of "near miss" incidents in the FAA database is the "problem " that needs a solution, good luck to the task force trying to work out how registration would make any difference.

From 33 mins in the video
:Do_O
Look this is just a way for us to take truck loads of money from people we have know way of knowing ;)
I seen a white "drone" or maybe gray you know what I think it was a little airplane .Thank you we will look into it $$$$$$$$$$$$:p

I'm curious if manufacturers will require entering your registration number in a future firmware upgrade? Not sure if it would just be a DJI thing. Wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers played along to get some other concessions. Sounds like the start of the slippery slope. Reading some of the other threads on this spans the whole continuum of positions. This group is probably a pretty small percentage of users who will just follow along, not seeing the bigger issues we have to deal with. Similar to "other" registration pushes out there for "other" products we have to deal with. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.....

"When drones are criminalized, only criminals will have drones."

"Registration is the first step toward confiscation!"

"You will get my drone when you pry it from my cold dead hands"

"Drones don't near miss aircraft, people near miss aircraft".

Or something like that.

Have I forgotten anything?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20