Don't have the balls to go more than 200m

Reaction score
I don't know how you guys go so far with the Phantom. The furthest I have been is 100m up and 200m out and I can hardly see the thing :lol: . It would frighten the life out of me to go further and lose sight of it.

Kudus to all you guys pushing it out to the max but my balls are far too small to try it :lol:

xgeek said:
I don't know how you guys go so far with the Phantom. The furthest I have been is 100m up and 200m out and I can hardly see the thing :lol: . It would frighten the life out of me to go further and lose sight of it.

Kudus to all you guys pushing it out to the max but my balls are far too small to try it :lol:

I'm with you on this. I feel the same way.

The only way I'd go further than that is if I had an fpv setup on it.

I do have FPV and an iOSB mini for data but am still too chicken :lol:

200m is about the farthest I was able to go out with my 1.1.1.

As soon as I installed my FPV (Fatshark) system i was passing the 3000 ft mark comfortably. So I think you guys are on the right range.

I also believe that this all depends how confortable you feel not about how far can someone go, it is pretty nerve wrecking to fly something you cannot see.

It isn't a matter of "balls"; it's a matter of good sense. If you are flying without FPV then you'd better be flying LOS...for the safety of others. A lot of these great distances require an open space. If you are in an urban area you need to be extra careful. UAV's need all the good publicity they can muster. For professionals, great range and FPV flying is a nessesity. If they lose a craft it is a necessary expense to use a backup and replace the crashed vehicle. Just enjoy your flying time and don't compare yourself to veteran fliers. For myself, I get pretty shaky when flying over water. It makes for great videos but any failures are catastrophic.

Like xgeek said, I too have FPV gear on my Phantom 2 but I'm still to chicken. I'm afraid the **** thing will decide to make a break for it and fly away never to be seen again. Like to keep it close enough that I can shoot it down if I have to... a little Tennessee humor.

I've taken it just beyond visual range so far and talk about being locked on to the screen. There were several minutes I don't think I even blinked.

I plan to try scaling the height of a 36 story building in my town one night this coming week, to get some city view shots and some of the top of the building. I'm told that will be about 200m up. And it is as high as I need to launch from the ground for now.

Same here. I have my limits set at 120m high and 275m wide which gives me the quoted transmitter range (300m LOS). I've not hit the limits yet. It gets small pretty fast (easy now). ;)

Mike

I've flown it higher than I'd like to admit. Definitely way above what I could see!

1966827_10153825805180577_639995894_n.jpg

I have FPV and iOSD and was flying off that completely as I was well below the fog. Definitely made me nervous, but the FPV link was solid and I just had to trust my iOSD.

Every system has its limits. You exceed those limits at your own risk. Ask yourself if you have compelling reasons to fly higher and farther? If not, then stay within the limits and enjoy letting the Phantom do what it was designed to do.

When I find I don't have the balls for something I check my wife's purse ! :lol:

I'm also a new PV2 owner and have tried going farther with every flight. To get comfortable I make sure he home lock mode works before i venture too far that way if i get far enough where I can't see it or I lose sight of it, I pull the directional stick back and it will always come to my location no matter which way it's oriented.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl