Do You Press "Preview" and proofread?

Reaction score
I would rather have placed this in the General Discussion area for more readers, but I am sure it would have been moved.
This question is for the English and American English speaking members of the forum. For others that English is not your first language, you are excused. I give high praise for anyone that can speak and write more than one language. I know I never could. So your errors are OK.
Reading the posted information on this great forum can sometimes be a challenge. With missing letters, words, and grammer to the point one has to stop and think, "What did they say?" It makes one wonder and the question: Do you ever press "Preview" and proofread what you just typed or hit "Submit" as fast as you can?
If you took a few seconds and looked it over you may just get your point across much better.

I often post something I've typed and then read it. Then I edit it if I find mistakes. I know what you mean though..

its like
some people don
t bo
ther to look
at whatthey
are

actuallu tupeing..

as i have a habit of thinking faster than i type, i tend to look at the preview just to make sure it makes sense, i do the same thing when i text or email, although sometimes i will just dash an answer off.

I think this is a universal problem that gets worse in lock step with our education system. I read a LOT of e-books and the writing/editing is atrocious. Missing words, misused words. A lot of the misused words cannot be caught with a spell checker because they are usually homonyms (too, two, to) (site, sight). The writer obviously doesn't know the proper word to use. I'm betting that these things have never been proofread. But, for a few bucks, you get what you pay for.
I seldom use "Preview" but I often just stop and read what I've written before hitting the Submit button. Seems that whenever I don't, I get burned. :D

Edit: There you go, I left the "s" off of "gets", read it before I submitted it, then noticed it when I saw it come up.

Hey Happy,
Do we get to include the morons who babble about the wrong Phantom (like the P2 in the FC40 section) in their posts? Some folks seem so intent on posting that they don't even care whether it's valid to the OP's question.

FYI: I write, preview, edit, preview, edit, preview, submit and still sometimes, ask myself "what the heck were you thinking". :?

Anyone have a link on how to write a sentence that's not backwards? I could also use help on the comma.

I tip my hat to those who are willing to take on the challenge of teaching. I flash my arse at those who have allowed the educational system to grow into a fungus. I always thought we were supposed to say what we mean and mean what we say. Could we (I use the term loosely because I am assuming many of us are around the half-century mark) be so far behind the times that we don't realize the younger generation is permitted to babble their way through life?

Lets just say folks did proofread what they writ. The question or answer would be clear and concise. We could move on to bigger and better things, progress and, dare I say... evolve? Yeah, that ain't gonna happen. We, as a society, are programmed to believe we should sit in traffic, buy products that break, allow nuts to roam the streets and still be happy. The they's that tell folks what to do don't want the folks to have the time or resources to make the "powers that be" look stupid.

So, there you go Happy. I've added a soap box or two to your thread. Not trying to hijack it, but it's better than starting my own. I wouldn't have been so polite.

I wish I could put the following in a hermetically sealed envelope which Ed McMahon would open at a later date.
Here's what I am expecting for excuses/replies:
I was on my tablet/IPhone/Android.
I was in a hurry.
Spelling and grammar don't matter that much.
Your being too picky.

Writ was intentional, and I'm going directly to submit :shock:

IflyinWY,
All reads good to me. The part of "say what we mean...." I can remember w-a-y b-a-c-k in school the teacher would say, "Children, always tell the truth." Well, today I have seen a lot of people that did exactly that and got themselves in BIG trouble. In those situations it is best to use the "No comment."
You must be froze solid out there by now. Quad sitting in a block of ice. -12 wind chill here. Still crazy with no snow! 50" on ground a year ago. You up to -35 yet?

-13 without the wind chill here at my house this morning. Brown Christmas, but we've got a couple inches on the ground for New Year. Weird winter...
Quad is sitting in its case in my partially heated shop. Too cold to fly cause I'm a wuss.

dmagnus said:
-13 without the wind chill here at my house this morning. Brown Christmas, but we've got a couple inches on the ground for New Year. Weird winter...
Quad is sitting in its case in my partially heated shop. Too cold to fly cause I'm a wuss.
I see what your problem is: Too far away from the big lake and too close to Min-ah-snow-ta.
I had fun at the Mall of America once. It was summer.

Thanks Happy,

Buuut... I really don't know why you folks feel as though you need to share this cold weather. We're not going to get above zero today and I don't know about the wind chill because my little butt isn't planning on going outside ;)

No I should tho :D
I'm a hillbilly/redneck so a lot of what I write makes no sense anyway :mrgreen:
Punctuation never good at that ..! Rather make it all one big sentence but most get what I'm trying to get across .!,? :oops:
Sometimes mistakes are made never good with grammar police :lol:

IjustposttheneditifIneedto.

Notthistimethough.

Attachments

• crying-with-laughter.gif
    crying-with-laughter.gif
    19.4 KB · Views: 370

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads