Do you get nervous on long distance missions?

Reaction score
I'm comfortable flying missions that are 1000-2000' away from me but start to get a little nervous after that. The furtherest distance that I've sent my P4P out is about 6400'. Maybe I'm just blown away by the range that it has and know that it can go further in optimum conditions but I start to feel like I'm sending a spacecraft to another planet and wonder if it will make it back.

6000' would definitely make me nervous...but to be honest, I just had my first 'real' flight on Saturday.

I think I might have gotten as far away as 1200'

I have had my p4 over 16,000 until i started to get low signal warnings, then i brought it back. You don't have to worry about the power supply running out because in the settings it has a thing that you can set to make it come home at a certain level, mine gives a warning at 20% and returns at 10%, but it also self calculates when it needs to come home which is what that line chart thing in the top is. So don't be worried about taking it to far.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I've flown one of mine out to over 1500 meters as part of a Litchi mission. Never lost signal. But, although the bird was technically still LOS because of the terrain i coolant honestly say that I could actually 'see' the bird. Bit of a sweat until it made it's way back and landed.

I know it should come back if the signal is lost for to long or if the battery gets to low but I think I'll feel better after I get a tracking device and insurance. On the flight that I mentioned, I turned around at 6400' because it was near it was near the water with the wind picking up. I have a goal to make it to a friend's house that is about 8000' away. I don't know if I'll have enough signal to land there but I should at least be able to make it over the yard.

I know it should come back if the signal is lost for to long or if the battery gets to low but I think I'll feel better after I get a tracking device and insurance. On the flight that I mentioned, I turned around at 6400' because it was near it was near the water with the wind picking up. I have a goal to make it to a friend's house that is about 8000' away. I don't know if I'll have enough signal to land there but I should at least be able to make it over the yard.

Was just about to comment on the wind issue....If you go out with a tail wind and have to come back with a head wind...the software is going to make it's calculations based on what's been used and how far away it is....it won't know there is going to be a headwind on the way back....so if you push it too far you may still be in trouble.

Maybe adjust the return home threshold to 20% to give a little extra padding.

If I'm on a long mission I'll head back when the battery is at 60-65% to be on the safe side. I had a head wind when I was coming back from that 6400' trip. I started to sweat a little when the bird would only do 18-19 MPH but it made it back with plenty of battery left.

I use missions basically to get smooth video recording and to reach behind the objects. Most of such missions didn't require me to go beyond 2500'

I'm thinking if I would fly myself to have fun to fly far as 6500' or will I give command to some one else like a mission controller?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use missions basically to get smooth video recording and to reach behind the objects. Most of such missions didn't require me to go beyond 2500'

Actually, I'm hesitant to use WP missions because I've heard of a number of users on the forum experience fly-aways while using waypoints.

I still haven't left my backyard and I'm paranoid to fly around my house. :confused:

Can't wait to star flying missions like you all!

Reactions: Jarrod
6000' would definitely make me nervous...

Me too.

c11fb7c90feadbf5afe53f806e744254.jpg

State Farm!!! Best 60$ I ever spent! Will definitely ease your nervous and paranoiad mind!

The farthest I've flown so far is about 1200' but it was far enough to loose signal on my P3S. I live on a large area of large trees that also has buildings in the way. So it's not far before it is out of sight where I made my first few flights. I'm nervous due to all the fly away stories I've read. But, I'm getting better.

I'm learning to trust what I can see on the screen as it makes flying much easier when your doing any distance flights. When I'm low and around my house I keep my eye on the Phantom.

I have been taking photos of violations on the oil pipeline if Florida to send to the appropriate agencies "FREC" I don't fly high but getting the bird past 5000 feet away still has me pucker!

The furthest I've flown is now just under 3 miles out over the water. I didn't take a direct path so I received a battery warning at that distance. It could have kept going. There is a sunken barge I want to take pictures of so I'll try again another day.

Reactions: trevornewkirk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen