Do I need DJI Go?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 4 on the way and I read a lot of posts but I haven't found this specific answer. Do I need the DJI Go app on my device to use my phantom? And yes I know it can fly without an app at all, I mean fly and see telemetry, video, etc. What I would like to do is download Litchi and fly exclusively with that. Can I do that?

Thanks

I have a Phantom 4 on the way and I read a lot of posts but I haven't found this specific answer. Do I need the DJI Go app on my device to use my phantom? And yes I know it can fly without an app at all, I mean fly and see telemetry, video, etc. What I would like to do is download Litchi and fly exclusively with that. Can I do that?
You must use DJI Go to activate your Phantom.
It is possible to fly with a different app but why are you wanting to?
DJI Go is an excellent app and is all that most flyers need for most flying.
I would strongly suggest learning to fly with DJI Go and becoming familiar with all aspects of flying the Phantom before moving on to another app if you need some of the special features that other apps can offer.

I am used to Litchi from my previous phantom. I had both for my vision plus and pretty much didn't even open the DJI app after I discovered Litchi. I don't intend to use any advanced features in the short term, I just want a stable app. From the recent posts about DJI Go updates and such, it looks like many people are having problems. I was hoping to just use Litchi and be done, but it doesn't look like that will be possible. I will be using an android tablet, I don't know if that matters.

Thanks for the reply.

YES. YES. YES!!! Ditch DJI GO and all it’s recurring problems with the updates!! I switched a year ago to Litchi and HAVE NOT BEEN BOTHERED BY THE DJI CRAP to upgrade anything!!! Plus with Litchi you get an app with superior features as the waypoints and Mission Hub. I have not opened DJI GO for anything and sure don’t miss it and it’s Problems at all!!!
Jim
WA5TEF.

Thanks for the reply wa5tef. I do plan on using Litchi for my flying, I just wanted to know if it is possible to take a new phantom 4 out of the box and fly with Litchi. According to the first reply, that won't be possible. I would love to never download a DJI app on my device if I could.

Thanks

Droneboondocker, that a good question. My P4 flew the first time I tried it but I had already flown a few miserable flights with DJI so it may have been configured prior to Litchi starting up. Maybe someone here will know. Don’t forget to checkout litchi’s waypoint missions and the Misson Hub. They’re awesome!
Jim
WA5TEF.

Reactions: Droneboondocker
YES. YES. YES!!! Ditch DJI GO and all it’s recurring problems with the updates!! I switched a year ago to Litchi and HAVE NOT BEEN BOTHERED BY THE DJI CRAP to upgrade anything!!! Plus with Litchi you get an app with superior features as the waypoints and Mission Hub. I have not opened DJI GO for anything and sure don’t miss it and it’s Problems at all!!!
Jim
WA5TEF.
Just wondering if you have tried deleting DJI go app, and does everything work with just Litchi. Thanks

Yes! I unistalled it completely as every time I opened it it would crash so I cleared it out. Now it’s litchi only and I love it!
Good
Lick
Jim
WA5TEF

Yes! I unistalled it completely as every time I opened it it would crash so I cleared it out. Now it’s litchi only and I love it!
Good
Lick
Jim
WA5TEF

Ok, thank you, I’ll be doing the same..

I think it is pretty sad when people are ditching the original app made for the craft and MADE BY THE COMPANY THAT MADE THE CRAFT for a 3rd party app. The reviews on google play say it all, DJI go 2.8 stars, Litchi for android 3.8 stars. The only extra feature I used on Litchi with my vision plus was follow me, and it was awesome. If an app can make such an old phantom do stuff like that, it has to be pretty darn good.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164