DJI Warranty Warning. This is message I just received from DJI Service.

Sorry to hear this scenario. It's the pits when these things happen. I know I will probably catch an ear full for this, but I personally don't use obsticle avoidance. I find it extremely annoying, especially when trying to video or photograph in tight environments. But by not using the avoidance system I have learned to be much more cautious. Visual line of sight can be deceiving at further distances! When in doubt as to how close I am to something, I just don't proceed until I check out the situation. I think obsticle avoidance is one thing we can never take for granted that will "protect" you in all circumstances.But, like I said that is just my two cents.

If you had repairs under warranty, your insurance policy would probably state that their coverage is secondary to the warranty and DJI care, and possibly pay the uncovered costs after you settle with DJI. But I dint know if they'd pay a DJI receipt, that might be double-dipping?

Somethings to be aware of:
1. Aircraft pitch affects the view of the obstacle avoidance system. Know the cones, distances and functions of all 5 sensors on a P4P, or the ones on your bird
2. P/A/S can exponentially change function of collision avoidance.
3. Flight at high speeds in S mode will cause a P4P to decend in straight and “level” flight, because of the negative pitch resulting from aggressive throttle stick inputs. If flying towards your self on a hill, you might not notice it until it hits the tree next to you where you took off and ascended to 50’ above the tree in elevation and then flew 1250’ straight away turned and made a Speed run back. I checked the GPS altitude at launch, turn and a couple of times on the way back. The last check was when I noticed it was now way low about 25’ out and released all controls. Brakes don’t work “that” good. Oops
4. Even P Mode collision avoidance is effected by pitch.
5. VLOS is the law, AND a good idea!
6. As good as the P4P is it needs help from common sense, experience from flight time and application of safety principles,
You are absolutely correct on that I learned this lesson the hard way! I had leveled off at the far corner of a series of basketball and Tennis Courts and is just above the fence line at 16 ft and I started to move forward fairly quick. I glanced up for a second to find my line of sight my line and at that point with my throttle forward nicked the top of one of the fences sending it into a uncontrolled crash right into one of the basketball hoops! Thankfully DJI refresh replaced the unit even though in the end it would have been considered my fault I'm sure by far.
Did I feel angry and annoyed that my drone had actually drop down probably well over a foot while it was in motion yes but I'm pretty sure at the end of the day it would have been ruled pilot error! So I coughed up the refresh cost and got my new one back in 4 days amazingly!

Sorry to hear this scenario. It's the pits when these things happen. I know I will probably catch an ear full for this, but I personally don't use obsticle avoidance. I find it extremely annoying, especially when trying to video or photograph in tight environments. But by not using the avoidance system I have learned to be much more cautious. Visual line of sight can be deceiving at further distances! When in doubt as to how close I am to something, I just don't proceed until I check out the situation. I think obsticle avoidance is one thing we can never take for granted that will "protect" you in all circumstances.But, like I said that is just my two cents.
The only reason I use OA is because it caps the top speed at 31mph, which is the previously determined optimal speed to get the most distance per battery, and a good speed for continuous video. With full right stick forward, I can then fly 31mph in P mode (assuming no wind) throughout and still achieve 23-25 minute flights. It keeps it simple for me.

Quote from DJI rep on OA failures: "OA is a safety feature, and not a guarantee."

It is very easy for an object just above to remain undetected in forward flight (like the underside of the front edge of a bridge, while attempting to fly beneath it), due to the forward tilt angle, and the limited cone of visibility of the sensor to objects above it of only 27°upward. In P mode, the forward maximum tilt angle is already 25° while traveling at 31mph. That leaves 2° upward detectability.

Lastly, if there is no clear pattern on the object (concrete) or the lighting is inadequate (in shade), all bets are off, even well within the cones of detection! Be safe and aware! :cool:

DJI Phantom 4 Pro – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Max Tilt Angle
S-mode: 42°
A-mode: 35°
P-mode: 25°

VOS
Forward: 60°(Horizontal), ±27°(Vertical)
Backward: 60°(Horizontal), ±27°(Vertical)
Downward: 70°(Front and Rear), 50°(Left and Right)

Operating Environment
Surface with clear pattern and adequate lighting (lux>15)

Last edited:
NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. User stick command error FLY257 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=315s, relative height=14.3m, unit recorded external impact, then fell. 3. User commanded pitch forward and throttle up before impact. Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone. 4. GPS overlay shows user crashed into a tree. Incident date: 3/10/18 Incident GPS location: 33.8037000 -112.1142459 Conclusion: User stick command error. Impact in air. [Non warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

WARNING: Do not try to ascent or turn while approaching an object to avoid that object. "Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone." My P4P was traveling at 4.5 mph when it struck a block wall. Guess I should have just flown straight into the wall. I paid the $99 with DJI Care for a replacement rather than turn it in to State Farm with no deductible. It would have cost $345 to repair and I think plus shipping. With the cost of DJI Care the total comes to $248. The warranty along with DJI Care ran out two days after I filed the claim. My State Farm policy was effective 45 days ago which hopefully I won't be needing.
DJI Care Replacement Phantom 4 Pro just arrived. Activated, everything looks OK. I got my same controller back. Lesson learned.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. User stick command error FLY257 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=315s, relative height=14.3m, unit recorded external impact, then fell. 3. User commanded pitch forward and throttle up before impact. Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone. 4. GPS overlay shows user crashed into a tree. Incident date: 3/10/18 Incident GPS location: 33.8037000 -112.1142459 Conclusion: User stick command error. Impact in air. [Non warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

WARNING: Do not try to ascent or turn while approaching an object to avoid that object. "Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone." My P4P was traveling at 4.5 mph when it struck a block wall. Guess I should have just flown straight into the wall. I paid the $99 with DJI Care for a replacement rather than turn it in to State Farm with no deductible. It would have cost $345 to repair and I think plus shipping. With the cost of DJI Care the total comes to $248. The warranty along with DJI Care ran out two days after I filed the claim. My State Farm policy was effective 45 days ago which hopefully I won't be needing.

This is a straight out scam to make loyal customers pay for repairs regardless if they have the warranty from DJI. In 40 years of helicopter flying, I never seen the lame excuse used that you can't turn when the machine is ascending. This maneuver is absolute common and accomplished with ease. I can turn my drones full stick over during a decent and never failed to recover.

Regardless of the billions of dollars DJI makes, they continue to misuse policy's and fail to be responsible for their own errors.

Regards - Mike Mas

This is a straight out scam to make loyal customers pay for repairs regardless if they have the warranty from DJI. In 40 years of helicopter flying, I never seen the lame excuse used that you can't turn when the machine is ascending. This maneuver is absolute common and accomplished with ease. I can turn my drones full stick over during a decent and never failed to recover.

Regardless of the billions of dollars DJI makes, they continue to misuse policy's and fail to be responsible for their own errors.

Regards - Mike Mas

They were not saying that the maneuver itself is a problem - they were referring to maneuvers that take an object in the flight path out of the view of the forward obstacle sensing system. In this case pitched forwards while ascending.

Hey bearfootbeachcombing.. I'll bet he means, Incidentally..
/
If you had repairs under warranty, your insurance policy would probably state that their coverage is secondary to the warranty and DJI care, and possibly pay the uncovered costs after you settle with DJI. But I dint know if they'd pay a DJI receipt, that might be double-dipping?
I'm very familiar with insurance claims and insurance fraud. I owned and operated insurance agencies years ago. We wrote alot of personal article floaters. Those policies can be a problem area with false claims. I could have recovered the total cost of repairing or replacing the drone if I chose to turn it in to State Farm. My policy had only been in effect for 45 days and it would have a bad appearance. I bought the policy for a total loss lost stolen Fly Away
I'm well aware of insurance claims and insurance fraud. I owned and operated insurance agencies years ago. We wrote a lot of personal article floaters. Those policies can be a problem area for false claims. I could have recovered the total repair or replacement cost from State Farm. My policy had only been in effect for 45 days. I chose not to turn a claim in as it would have a bad appearance. I got the policy thinking of a total loss. Lost, stolen, fly away, or maybe going for a swim.

They were not saying that the maneuver itself is a problem - they were referring to maneuvers that take an object in the flight path out of the view of the forward obstacle sensing system. In this case pitched forwards while ascending.
Indeed! The upward sensor view is very limited, per the cited specs above.

Can’t wait for other Chinese companies to rip of DJI IP. They deserve it!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3