DJI Warranty Warning. This is message I just received from DJI Service.

Reaction score
NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. User stick command error FLY257 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=315s, relative height=14.3m, unit recorded external impact, then fell. 3. User commanded pitch forward and throttle up before impact. Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone. 4. GPS overlay shows user crashed into a tree. Incident date: 3/10/18 Incident GPS location: 33.8037000 -112.1142459 Conclusion: User stick command error. Impact in air. [Non warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

WARNING: Do not try to ascent or turn while approaching an object to avoid that object. "Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone." My P4P was traveling at 4.5 mph when it struck a block wall. Guess I should have just flown straight into the wall. I paid the $99 with DJI Care for a replacement rather than turn it in to State Farm with no deductible. It would have cost $345 to repair and I think plus shipping. With the cost of DJI Care the total comes to $248. The warranty along with DJI Care ran out two days after I filed the claim. My State Farm policy was effective 45 days ago which hopefully I won't be needing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirsly
I'm not getting why if you had DJI care refresh you filed your claim and it was still in effect they would not honor the repair or replacement? Almost seems like they are accusing you of intentionally crashing it which is the only thing I can see in the terms of the agreement that they would not do a Refresh on it.

I'm not getting why if you had DJI care refresh you filed your claim and it was still in effect they would not honor the repair or replacement?
Right or Wrong, they go by the data collected in the .dat file from the AC. Anything that is even remotely obvious will nullify what you may consider a "Legitimate" claim for warranty.

Reactions: rfaaj
I'm not getting why if you had DJI care refresh you filed your claim and it was still in effect they would not honor the repair or replacement? Almost seems like they are accusing you of intentionally crashing it which is the only thing I can see in the terms of the agreement that they would not do a Refresh on it.
They are honoring the DJI care but that's a $99 replacement. Unfortunately I paid that $99 already but I am contesting . They said it flew into a tree it did not fly into a tree, it hit a wall 10 feet below the top of the wall.Why didn't the obstacle avoidance work. Pitching up out of detection zone doesn't sound plausible. I would appreciate some input from the experts here. I just went and took pictures of the crash area and there was still a piece of the Phantom prop right on the ground. There was a mark on the wall where the Phantom hit.

NON-WARRANTY PER DATA ANALYSIS. User stick command error FLY257 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input; 2. At t=315s, relative height=14.3m, unit recorded external impact, then fell. 3. User commanded pitch forward and throttle up before impact. Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone. 4. GPS overlay shows user crashed into a tree. Incident date: 3/10/18 Incident GPS location: 33.8037000 -112.1142459 Conclusion: User stick command error. Impact in air. [Non warranty Repair] Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. We will either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received.

WARNING: Do not try to ascent or turn while approaching an object to avoid that object. "Unit was ascending while pitching forward putting obstruction outside of detection zone." My P4P was traveling at 4.5 mph when it struck a block wall. Guess I should have just flown straight into the wall. I paid the $99 with DJI Care for a replacement rather than turn it in to State Farm with no deductible. It would have cost $345 to repair and I think plus shipping. With the cost of DJI Care the total comes to $248. Indecently, the warranty ran out two days after I filed the claim.
"Indecently, the warranty ran out two days after I filed the claim."

What does this mean? You think it's indecent that the warranty ran out a few days after you crashed into something causing damage that wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway?

Reactions: JMFinch
His claim was not an aftersales warranty claim. If it were, it would not be valid as this was clearly pilot error. That's what DJI Care is for. And tha's exactly why it only cost $99.

By the way, if you enter those coordinates into Google Earth there are no walls there, only trees.

Hey bearfootbeachcombing.. I'll bet he means, Incidentally..

@CharlieU .....In response to @LarBear360 Is this the location you were flying???
GPS1.PNG

"Indecently, the warranty ran out two days after I filed the claim."

What does this mean? You think it's indecent that the warranty ran out a few days after you crashed into something causing damage that wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway?
Sorry the word should have been incidentally.

Upon closer look, that would be a wall along the property line, especially because of the pool which requires restricted access, but them appear to be trees at those cross hairs!
That wall is a is about 16 feet high most of which is retaining wall because of the grade. The actual wall height inside the property is 6 feet. There is a tree at that point but I was well below the branches. You can see the mark on the wall below the yellow flowers just in the sunlight from the shadows. The drone ended up on the dirt about 8 feet from the small wall. At impact the data shows speed 5.2mph vertical speed 1.3mph left stick up 2 seconds before crash. The Phantom 4 Pro should have stopped long before it hit the wall. There was no change in the right stick the entire 02.45 flight.
DSCF4176.JPG

They are honoring the DJI care but that's a $99 replacement. Unfortunately I paid that $99 already but I am contesting . They said it flew into a tree it did not fly into a tree, it hit a wall 10 feet below the top of the wall.Why didn't the obstacle avoidance work. Pitching up out of detection zone doesn't sound plausible. I would appreciate some input from the experts here. I just went and took pictures of the crash area and there was still a piece of the Phantom prop right on the ground. There was a mark on the wall where the Phantom hit.

If you want meaningful input then you will have to post the flight log.

Agreed with @sar104 "We" can speculate any numerous possibilities. If the data actually shows as you suggest, then the only reasonable thing to do would be to share that data, so others may give inputs. It may or may not help your own personal case with DJI, but it could prove, or disprove what you are claiming. Or at least as close as the data would suggest to that.

That wall is a is about 16 feet high most of which is retaining wall because of the grade. The actual wall height inside the property is 6 feet. There is a tree at that point but I was well below the branches. You can see the mark on the wall below the yellow flowers just in the sunlight from the shadows. The drone ended up on the dirt about 8 feet from the small wall. At impact the data shows speed 5.2mph vertical speed 1.3mph left stick up 2 seconds before crash. The Phantom 4 Pro should have stopped long before it hit the wall. There was no change in the right stick the entire 02.45 flight. View attachment 96502
Just curious, there is no mention of your position in relation to the AC. Where were you when all this was happening? Did you not see a wall in the flight path?

Last edited:
That wall is a is about 16 feet high most of which is retaining wall because of the grade. The actual wall height inside the property is 6 feet. There is a tree at that point but I was well below the branches. You can see the mark on the wall below the yellow flowers just in the sunlight from the shadows. The drone ended up on the dirt about 8 feet from the small wall. At impact the data shows speed 5.2mph vertical speed 1.3mph left stick up 2 seconds before crash. The Phantom 4 Pro should have stopped long before it hit the wall. There was no change in the right stick the entire 02.45 flight. View attachment 96502
Looking at the picture....."Just be dang glad.. that the wall was their to take the impact And not One of the windows on the other side !

a good link Will DJI cover out of warranty P3A

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelly1946
My friend had the exact same repose so we learned to sync our flight after every successful sessions. Same goes for the data from the DJI Go App. We save them. If we ever have a crash, we don’t sync and send them the last successful flight data. Little effort goes a long way.

My friend had the exact same repose so we learned to sync our flight after every successful sessions. Same goes for the data from the DJI Go App. We save them. If we ever have a crash, we don’t sync and send them the last successful flight data. Little effort goes a long way.
DJL123, I realize this isn't your crash, but if it were your strategy would be to send DJI a flight record from a previous successful flight thinking they will never find the .dat file on the AC?

I'm also curious how attempting to pass responsibility for your own actions onto someone else is a good thing.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimCJWolfe