DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Well maybe my mind is slipping, but I seem to remember that there was to be both a new app and new firmware this week. The GEO database, I would think, would need to be in either the bird or, more likely, the RC as it's not 100% necessary, as best I understand it, to have the Go app to fly.

Brian
As mentioned by Meta4, no indicative release date for the firmware upgrade, except the reference to any impending updates being linked to the new app update. I just updated my go4 app, re-entered my password and took the drone for a spin. No changes to the flight performance, weird pop ups and the sun still managed to shine.
All good.

As mentioned by Meta4, no indicative release date for the firmware upgrade, except the reference to any impending updates being linked to the new app update. I just updated my go4 app, re-entered my password and took the drone for a spin. No changes to the flight performance, weird pop ups and the sun still managed to shine.
All good.

Yeah, and we were told you would have to re-sign into your account or your flights would be limited to about a football field. AND, that this was tied to the firmware update.

Brian

Yeah, and we were told you would have to re-sign into your account or your flights would be limited to about a football field. AND, that this was tied to the firmware update.

Brian
I'm good with just running with the process as I figured I wanted to avail myself of any included improvements with any updates. Where I fly is no where near an airport and includes 100,000 hectacres of open areas and beach access where I'm usually the only living soul.
I understand the concerns of others that are located in potentially affected areas but I also understand that some of the comments here are probably an overreach of sorts. It is after all a flying camera, I'm more concerned about the threat from weirdos with guns and lunatics on the road.

I'm good with just running with the process as I figured I wanted to avail myself of any included improvements with any updates. Where I fly is no where near an airport and includes 100,000 hectacres of open areas and beach access where I'm usually the only living soul.
I understand the concerns of others that are located in potentially affected areas but I also understand that some of the comments here are probably an overreach of sorts. It is after all a flying camera, I'm more concerned about the threat from weirdos with guns and lunatics on the road.

I wasn't really commenting on the possible flight restrictions that might come after or be a consequence of the updates -- only that I expected a firmware update to coincide with the Go 4 app update. There is troubling news about states and cities being able to restrict drones in new ways and the FAA's loss of the registration thing, but whatever the new restrictions in the new Go 4 app or firmware is I have no idea and won't even speculate about it.

Brian

I wasn't really commenting on the possible flight restrictions that might come after or be a consequence of the updates -- only that I expected a firmware update to coincide with the Go 4 app update. There is troubling news about states and cities being able to restrict drones in new ways and the FAA's loss of the registration thing, but whatever the new restrictions in the new Go 4 app or firmware is I have no idea and won't even speculate about it.

Brian
All good, I suspect that however the FAA and local area restrictions impact on users will probably be worse than anything DJI can come up with. They are in the business of selling units and controlling the market as best they can.

We already have laws for the miscreants of society and they are managed by the relative 'keepers of the peace' wherever you happen to live and you are admonished accordingly. In this case, if you don't follow dji's instructions you will be 'punished', most people will be fine with this, others not in a position to do so for whatever reason and others despise having their freedom to chose diminished. We are talking about a relatively expensive hobby that people bought into at face value for their own reasons and expect that that point of sale experience continues. A little bit hysterical you might say but you are certainly aware of data mining?
Yes the miscreants will be dealt with. But if they are able to launch and collide with an aircraft, the damage is done regardless of whether the miscreants are dealt with or not. I'd rather see the collision not happen. Nobody gets hurt and no miscreants get in trouble.. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Yes the miscreants will be dealt with. But if they are able to launch and collide with an aircraft, the damage is done regardless of whether the miscreants are dealt with or not. I'd rather see the collision not happen. Nobody gets hurt and no miscreants get in trouble.. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Love the winner winner chicken dinner, haven't heard that for a loooong time. With respect to the collision possibility (hopefully unlikely), I suspect that regardless of any software/hardware upgrades, it will never prevent the determined fool from taking it to another level. We use collision avoidance systems in the mining game and they are extremely expensive and still prone to failing due to numerous unforeseen scenarios. In the event of a collision, those responsible (and they will be found if it serious enough) should be taken to the cleaners, much the same as we see everyday with multiple fatalities involving road users involving intent, inattention and impaired skills.

Love the winner winner chicken dinner, haven't heard that for a loooong time. With respect to the collision possibility (hopefully unlikely), I suspect that regardless of any software/hardware upgrades, it will never prevent the determined fool from taking it to another level. We use collision avoidance systems in the mining game and they are extremely expensive and still prone to failing due to numerous unforeseen scenarios. In the event of a collision, those responsible (and they will be found if it serious enough) should be taken to the cleaners, much the same as we see everyday with multiple fatalities involving road users involving intent, inattention and impaired skills.
You are correct. But this may be a baby step in the right direction. Believe me I don't want anymore regulations but you know there are always reasons behind such regulations and it usually stems from the idiot yahoo that just refuses to do the right thing. I know some of the "near misses" we read about are exaggerated by the media, but some are real. I don't fly commercially very often but I don't want to see a tragedy that is the result of an idiot and his hobby.

Reactions: tevek
You are correct. But this may be a baby step in the right direction. Believe me I don't want anymore regulations but you know there are always reasons behind such regulations and it usually stems from the idiot yahoo that just refuses to do the right thing. I know some of the "near misses" we read about are exaggerated by the media, but some are real. I don't fly commercially very often but I don't want to see a tragedy that is the result of an idiot and his hobby.
We are in agreeance sir.

This is not good news DJI, I will download no further updates for RC or AC and will exclusively use the LITCHI app from now on and not DJI Go

Unfortunately that won't work. The third party apps like Litchi and Autopilot require that you be using the latest DJI firmware.

Unfortunately that won't work. The third party apps like Litchi and Autopilot require that you be using the latest DJI firmware.

are you sure about that, I know it asks you to update to the latest but many don't and are flying fine

I hope the next Mustang that I plan to buy, does not have limited its maximum speed. In order to comply with the law !!!
And I also hope that from now on, those who want to buy a dron, are holders of a license, before being able to buy it.
Now, what do you think?

Why it is bad news? DJI is trying to make everyone compliance with the laws and restrictions in place. I do not see anything wrong with it. They are just following the laws of every country that make business with DJI.
Who do you trust to interpret those laws into software?

Tighter control by DJI, and hopefully the entire industry ,will be critical to the survival of the industry and to our future enjoyment of drones. Without it, when drones are cheap and drone traffic goes up, the regulatory environment will clamp down aggressively. Thank you DJI for your leadership!

Who do you trust to interpret those laws into software?
Seriously... Does DJI employ lots of people and computers to continuously examine all Countries laws, definitions, public & military and tediously write them into code.?

Why it is bad news? DJI is trying to make everyone compliance with the laws and restrictions in place. I do not see anything wrong with it. They are just following the laws of every country that make business with DJI.

Yes, this will kill DJI for the serious pilots. Too bad, DJI. Stupidest thing I've heard from a marketing perspective. Fortunately I have many drones from other manufacturers and will probably fly them more often now. In a Communist state this may make sense...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT