DIY Antenna Modification - RANGE TEST (14,180 FEET) with DJI Phantom 3 Standard

If I am seeing the pictures correctly the Argtek antennas have the grounding plate (if thats what that piece of metal is) on the side that faces the controller not the quad (the antenna has a slight bevel on one side and thats the side that faces out as its the side without the branding stickers) when they are used as pictured. However if the alfa antenna's are used with the writing facing out that means the grounding plate (if thats what it is) is facing the quad.

Reactions: Y2KGTA
If I am seeing the pictures correctly the Argtek antennas have the grounding plate (if thats what that piece of metal is) on the side that faces the controller not the quad (the antenna has a slight bevel on one side and thats the side that faces out as its the side without the branding stickers) when they are used as pictured. However if the alfa antenna's are used with the writing facing out that means the grounding plate (if thats what it is) is facing the quad.
(Ground Plane) is what the metal is called and Correct on the placement of both

I took this one step further...

I did the alfa mod 6 months ago, but only with the 2x 2.4ghz, i used a generic 11dbi antenna for 5ghz. I ordered the alfa this 5ghz antenna after seeing this thread. I also ordered a 5ghz amp. The 2.4ghz is modded to 27dbm and the drones oem patch antennas are mounted externally back and front.

So today, with the same 3 antennas, a 5ghz sunhans amp. 2.5 miles was easy, full signal still on both control and video! confirmed by the litchi log too, uplinksignalquality 100%. I manually RTH 4000m as the return leg was into a icy headwind and i forgot to charge mobile phone. Landed with 36% battery. ****! I need to do a battery mod before i push past 3 miles. Im also in the middle of building a tripod with 3 large tp-link patch antennas, but i dont i even need it!.

Before the amp i was consistently getting just 1800m until control signal loss, however before I was also using the generic 11dbi 5ghz square antenna. So i dont yet know how much was down to the antenna or amp. I need to test both bin the worst lol

PfoZQft.jpg
42QxHdZ.jpg

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Wow.. I can't imagine that I was over 14,180 feet from signal back splash, but there we have it. Now I wonder what range could be had if I did the range test with them facing the other way? :)

Also, side note.. Do you have a photo of the antenna board from inside the argtek?
I don't have an extra 5.8 GHz alfa to take apart but i don't believe that they are the same because the don't rotate all the way around and bend the same. But if they are??

I don't have an extra 5.8 GHz alfa to take apart but i don't believe that they are the same because the don't rotate all the way around and bend the same. But if they are??
Here are some images i found on the Web of the M25 .

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 846
  • Dish2.png
    Dish2.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 1,292
Do a range test with them both ways, same location on the same day if possible, going the very same heading.

The logo facing the drone is the correct orientation, i measured the strength the other week the opposite way round and the signal was ALOT weaker.

The logo facing the drone is the correct orientation, i measured the strength the other week the opposite way round and the signal was ALOT weaker.
Thanks because i really didn't want to take that one apart without a replacement on stand by.

I'm still in awe that I got video from the APA-M04's out to 14,180 feet with them facing the wrong direction. lol

Thanks because i really didn't want to take that one apart without a replacement on stand by.
You have them facing correctly in the image at the start of the video :)

Alfa Antenna Update:

I have taken apart both of the Alfa antennas since doing this range test, and have learned that the Alfa APA-M25 needs the logo facing TOWARDS the aircraft, as I did in the video. This is your control signal. BUT the Alfa APA-M04 antenna logos must be facing AWAY from the aircraft. I had mine backwards so my video downlink was only getting the small amount of back splash. I would have been able to get even more range if I had the video downlink antennas facing forwards (logo away from the aircraft)

That makes me wonder how in heck I got a video downlink all the way to 14,180 feet. Yes, 14,180 with the directional video downlink antennas pointed backwards!! Imagine what we can get with them now that we know!!

Attachments

• 20170204_184246.jpg
    20170204_184246.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,297

Prior to this modification my Phantom 3 Standard using the stock antennas and I typically obtained flight distances of 1,600 to 2,000 feet.

The test flight above is with my newly modded controller. I reached 14,180 feet (over 2.6 miles) before I initiated the RTH feature.
I'd be careful about bragging about Modifying any FCC Certified Transmitter !! THAT IS A BIG NO NO!..... The FCC's Rules are very Clear! Even just changing Antenna's to a higher DB Gain! Is Illegal.

Thats the correct way.
I'd be careful about bragging about Modifying any FCC Certified Transmitter !! THAT IS A BIG NO NO!..... The FCC's Rules are very Clear! Even just changing Antenna's to a higher DB Gain! Is Illegal.
Oh snap its 5.0!

OK well i am going to make this short Test proved otherwise for me so it seems these antennas might be designed to work off the splash. So maybe we were already using them correctly. Other than that . I like being able to talk to everyone here but i guess i am just going to keep to myself. Sorry i cant deal with people like this so Regulators Mount UP! I am out!

Last edited:
Alfa Antenna Update:

I have taken apart both of the Alfa antennas since doing this range test, and have learned that the Alfa APA-M25 needs the logo facing TOWARDS the aircraft, as I did in the video. This is your control signal. BUT the Alfa APA-M04 antenna logos must be facing AWAY from the aircraft. I had mine backwards so my video downlink was only getting the small amount of back splash. I would have been able to get even more range if I had the video downlink antennas facing forwards (logo away from the aircraft)

That makes me wonder how in heck I got a video downlink all the way to 14,180 feet. Yes, 14,180 with the directional video downlink antennas pointed backwards!! Imagine what we can get with them now that we know!!

You are wrong, thats the last time im going to say it lol. I thought the same as you when i opened mine weeks ago. By all means test it yourself as i did, use an android app to test signal strength :) Not all antenna designs are the same. Thats not the ground plane.

Reactions: SkyHog
Obviously your on the wrong forum thread. Many members on this forum mod their equipment, there's 100's of threads just on this one forum talking about mods, not counting the many other forums out there. And after checking on all six posts you've made to date, four of the six were off topic and just you trying to push your views of right and wrong on others. It's against forum rules to be off topic, and the topic on this thread is about a DIY antenna mod.

Last edited:
OK well i am going to make this short Test proved otherwise for me so it seems these antennas might be designed to work off the splash. So maybe we were already using them correctly. Other than that . I like being able to talk to everyone here but i guess i am just going to keep to myself. Sorry i cant deal with people like this so Regulators Mount UP! I am out!
Don't worry about the troll, just continue on as normal. You get those self righteous people on all the drone forums that think everyone should just be good little boys and girls, and follow all the rules big bother set for us. Just be yourself and have a good time here, the forum mods and administrators have are back.

Reactions: Y2KGTA and k9time
His Wife won't let him have a drone, so he comes on forums to troll. LOL

Anyways, I found something useful that I wanted to share with the class....

I found this ARGtek type kit for $26.99.

Antenna Refitting Signal Booster Amplifier Extend Rang For DJI Phantom3 Standard

Throw the included antennas in the trash.
Replace with Alphas.
No need to drill holes, epoxy or Dremel anything, remove the back metal bar, etc.

Total cost: Still cheaper than ARGtek or DBS / ITELITE.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164